kayumanggi

INFERNO | 10.28.16 | Sony | final gross ● 34.34 M

The box office grosses for this franchise is pretty interesting. And i have to say, it's almost in the similar line like the Narnia-franchise.

First film becomes a large box office smash hit, WW-wise (Narnia: The Lion, the Witch & the Wardrobe = $745M) & (Da Vinci Code = $758M). Granted....Narnia 1 ($291M) did better DOM-wise than Da Vinci ($217M). The second installment drops considerably from it's predecessor, WW (Narnia: Prince Caspian = $419M) & (Angels & Demons = $485M)....but are profitable nonetheless. That's the closest comparison i could find. Oh, and both franchises are based on the books they came from (C.S Lewis = Narnia) & (Dan Brown = Robert Langdon).

Now we get to Inferno. And i do have to ask.........will this film be the "Narnia: Voyage of the Dawn Treader" of the "Robert Langdon"-franchise, box office-wise? Like...the film could gross the lowest in the franchise, DOM-wise....but still come a bit close to it WW-wise, thanks to OS-appeal? We just have to see if the quality for this movie will be better than it's predecessors.

Granted again, Narnia 1 & Da Vinci Code were huge hits because of their own advantages they had.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

The box office grosses for this franchise is pretty interesting. And i have to say, it's almost in the similar line like the Narnia-franchise.

First film becomes a large box office smash hit, WW-wise (Narnia: The Lion, the Witch & the Wardrobe = $745M) & (Da Vinci Code = $758M). Granted....Narnia 1 ($291M) did better DOM-wise than Da Vinci ($217M). The second installment drops considerably from it's predecessor, WW (Narnia: Prince Caspian = $419M) & (Angels & Demons = $485M)....but are profitable nonetheless. That's the closest comparison i could find. Oh, and both franchises are based on the books they came from (C.S Lewis = Narnia) & (Dan Brown = Robert Langdon).

Now we get to Inferno. And i do have to ask.........will this film be the "Narnia: Voyage of the Dawn Treader" of the "Robert Langdon"-franchise, box office-wise? Like...the film could gross the lowest in the franchise, DOM-wise....but still come a bit close to it WW-wise, thanks to OS-appeal? We just have to see if the quality for this movie will be better than it's predecessors.

Granted again, Narnia 1 & Da Vinci Code were huge hits because of their own advantages they had.

Good analysis. Not sure about DOM(although I think Tom Hanks helps?) but I still think this will do pretty well OS.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

Good analysis. Not sure about DOM(although I think Tom Hanks helps?) but I still think this will do pretty well OS.

You have a very good point. I could be wrong about it DOM-wise since it can go either way. It could maybe do better than Angels & Demons.....but only if the reception is a bit higher and if people like it more.....or the opposite. OS-wise....it will do good either way. My only thinking is.....will China eat this film up?

Edited by MrFanaticGuy34

16 minutes ago, CJohn said:

I liked the score. Zimmer Da Gawd. The movie was fun. If you enjoyed Angels & Demons you will enjoy this one. 

Angels and Demons was good. So this is closer to that than it is to DaVinci Code?

Edited by DAJK

1 hour ago, CJohn said:

I liked the score. Zimmer Da Gawd. The movie was fun. If you enjoyed Angels & Demons you will enjoy this one. 

OMG. I am seeing it on Sunday. Gosh, I am so excited. Also, I've never seen a more massive marketing campaign than for Inferno. It will be huge here, just like DVC and AD.

17 minutes ago, James said:

OMG. I am seeing it on Sunday. Gosh, I am so excited. Also, I've never seen a more massive marketing campaign than for Inferno. It will be huge here, just like DVC and AD.

Pre-sales are big here for today. Should do big business.

1 hour ago, DAJK said:

Angels and Demons was good. So this is closer to that than it is to DaVinci Code?

I would say so, yeah.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CJohn said:

I had tons of fun with A&D so I'm curiously looking forward to this.

Are there any HOLY FUCK epic score moments like the logos in the last one?

Edited by antovolk

7 minutes ago, antovolk said:

I had tons of fun with A&D so I'm curiously looking forward to this.

Are there any HOLY FUCK epic score moments like the logos in the last one?

I liked the score overall, especially in the final set piece. 

I think it's realistic to expect a drop. Slow marketing roll out, Sequel is too late, so the real question is, what will that drop be? Will inflation alone keep it over $100m Domestic.

Flip side

Some reasonable expectation for a minor increase. Hanks is coming off of Sully, reminding audiences of his star appeal/power. Some absence from the character triggers modest "nostalgia". $150M+ Domestic with inflation also being a factor.

2 hours ago, MrPink said:

I need Ddddeeee's opinion on this.

I'm seeing the movie on Saturday and my CD should have arrived by then.

I love the first two scores so I need this to be good. Samples not promising.

Edited by ddddeeee