kayumanggi

INFERNO | 10.28.16 | Sony | final gross ● 34.34 M

Ok, back from Inferno. Oh Gosh, so many thoughts.

So, I liked the movie for the most part. I thought it was a great ride up until the finale. And then everything went to shit. I AM PISSED. They changed the finale. Completely. It's like they missed the whole point Dan Brown was trying to make.

Hide contents

Spoiler

First of all, that plague, in the book, is not described as a killer virus, that would wipe out half of the world's population. Instead, it is described as a sterility virus, that, in time, would render a big chunk of the world's population infertile. And at the end of the book when they get there, the virus is already released. Sienna does not die. And the world is left to face a situation that would change it's very foundation. Of course they had to hollywood-it because apparently audiences are too moronic to accept such a finale? I don't get it. And I am pissed. It was a wonderful, very thoughtful, finale. People never actually realize how much work goes into those books Brown writes and how carefully crafted they are. Everything has a sense. And there are no villains. I was actually rooting for Zobrist in the book because his crusade had a strong reason behind it and the way he chose was as gentle as possible. 

Getting over that, the soundtrack is good towards the end of the movie, but it doesn't even get close to Angels and Demons, which has one of the best soundtracks in movie history. Every piece of that composition is memorable.

And the movie moves way way too fast. It should've been at least 30 minutes longer. Everything is so beautifully explained in the book. The movie makes it look easy, when it was actually really hard to figure out the clues. 

What I did appreciate the most were

Hide contents
Spoiler

those beautiful memories of Sienna and Zobrist's speech and ideas. Nicely made. Very compelling.

That being said, I can't wait for Dan Brown's next book and for the next adaptation. Let's be honest: this will be Sony's biggest hit of the year. And the movie was surprisingly cheap to make. There will be a sequel.

So this wasn't bad - I'm surprised really because the story here basically combines the art mysteries shtick from DVC and the complete preposterousness and OTT of Angels and Demons - but instead of keeping with the previous entries, especially A&D's fitting epic OTT feel, he, much like Zimmer here also with his score, opts for something more restrained in overall feel but upping the ante in some aspects (like the visions/dream sequences etc), so that felt slightly odd...

Hanks and Jones were fun to watch, wish there was more Sidse given how much of a big deal she was made out to be in the first half (also - yay for Langdon getting a Bond girl his own age), but god damn, Irrfan Khan, even though he was in it far too little, just stole the entire thing - now he needs a The Game-like spin off or something.

On par with A&D for me, if they kept the more OTT feel of the previous film, especially score wise (although the ending sequence stuff and the Chevaliers reprise was amazing work from Hans), and if they shot the damn thing widescreen, it'd probably have topped A&D.

• Like 2

I'm planning to see this. I enjoyed the other two. DaVinci Code was the only book I've read though.

Didn't realize there was a 5th Langdon novel coming out till I read the last few pages.

Wasn't Dan Brown's Publisher really pushing him for a 4th book, Lost Symbol, in the interim between TDVC and A&D? Perhaps that rush is what produced a very mixed reaction to The Lost Symbol. The work was rushed.

I'm not expecting Oscar bait. If the film is as entertaining from a puzzle and historical perspective as the other two I'll get my money worth. 

• Like 2

On 19/10/2016 at 2:07 AM, Jonwo said:

Saw Inferno and it's on par with Angels and Demons, it's incredibly stupid in terms of plot but it's a fun ride and Hanks is good as always as Langdon. 

Inferno's best points:

LA-FABULOSA-Y-FASCINANTE-FLORENCIA-1440x

felicity-jones-7456.jpg

Edited by efialtes76
  • Like 3

So the October crown is going to come down to Boo! and Da Vinci Code 3.

October won't have a 100 million grosser.

At least November has a legit hit lined up for all four weekends. Dr.S,Arrival,FB and Moana. I think it's a coin flip to see if Strange or Beasts become the first films of 2016 to cross 200 and not hit 300.

Right now,I'll give Moana the November crown,but it could also do a Good Dinosaur. Too early to call.

I'm a bit surprised this got made, at least with Ron Howard, but I could be misremembering.

I had thought that in the timeframe after the A&D film left the theater that Ron said he didn't feel like doing another entry. Is that cause the studio was pushing for Lost Symbol? Then they shifted to Inferno and Ron was back on board, bringing Tom along as well?

• Like 2