CJohn

The Conjuring 2 | June 10, 2016 | Let the RT Watch commence.

6 hours ago, James said:

I find it ridiculous that people went from 50m+ predictions to 30m just because of the reviews. It is OW. And 99% of the population doesn't give a fuck about reviews, especially the horror audience. 

It's not because of its reviews, it never should've been projected at $50M+ to begin with.  Over $100M DOM just isn't a natural place for a horror movie to fall and definitely not natural for a sequel... even if this only makes $100M it should be considered a success. Look at some of the more recent $100M+ breakout hits and then the direct follow-up.

The Blair Witch Project (1999): $140M

Blair Witch 2 (2000): $26M

The Ring (2002): $129M

The Ring 2 (2005): $76M

The Grudge (2004): $110M

The Grudge 2 (2006) $39M

Paranormal Activity (2009): $107M

Paranormal Activity 2 (2010): $84M

The Conjuring: $137M

Annabelle: $84M

The Conjuring 2: ???

Obviously The Conjuring 2 is going to be better than some of these sequel turds but beating out the original with a $50M+ opening would've made it the only horror sequel EVER to beat out an original that grossed over $100M.

It should've always been predicted to drop.

Like I said, this could do a Ring Two.

Audiences loved The Ring, then The Grudge was released and a huge hit that by the time The Ring Two came around, some of the excitement was gone.

Same thing could happen with Conjuring - Annabelle - Conjuring 2.

• Like 1

Pretty much what I expected. Silly and unoriginal, but effective. Wan knows how to create suspense and scares. I just wish that next time he puts some more thought into telling a more compelling story. The movie also works a lot better when it keeps shit simple and grounded than when it goes over-the-top.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Krissykins said:

Like I said, this could do a Ring Two.

Audiences loved The Ring, then The Grudge was released and a huge hit that by the time The Ring Two came around, some of the excitement was gone.

Same thing could happen with Conjuring - Annabelle - Conjuring 2.

The difference in that analogy (Ring-Grudge-Ring2 :: Conjuring-Annabelle-Cojuring2) is that Annabelle is not comparable to The Grudge and did not have that much cultural impact. It won't able to take away from C2 imo.

Having said that, I am not denying that C2 could fall big from C1. Ring like drop could happen. Just saying that if such a drop happens, it won't be explained by the Annabelle/Grudge analogy.

Edited by a2knet

2 hours ago, a2knet said:

The difference in that analogy (Ring-Grudge-Ring2 :: Conjuring-Annabelle-Cojuring2) is that Annabelle is not comparable to The Grudge and did not have that much cultural impact. It won't able to take away from C2 imo.

Having said that, I am not denying that C2 could fall big from C1. Ring like drop could happen. Just saying that if such a drop happens, it won't be explained by the Annabelle/Grudge analogy.

You've misunderstood the analogy.

Analogy being: something similar/spin off was released between sequels and diluted interest. 

If Conjuring 2 opens less than Annabelle, it's a perfect analogy.