abra

Tuesday TC 5.6m,DM2 4.4m, Tur 3.6,GU2 3.2, PR 2.5

MoS is right now with $285m, exactly what I thought it'd make until it finished its run.At this point, it's quite fair to say that whoever said that Warner would keep MoS in theaters until it reached $300m was flat out wrong. I can see $293m as the high end, but it could not even break into $290m, at the pacing it's going. Regardless, it's an amazing run for a reboot domestically, topping The Amazing Spider-Man as the most successful reboot domestically, though TASM kept the title when it comes to the worldwide gross.Regardless the fact that I feel like MoS shortcomings hurt the film more than TASM's flaws, I was still hopeful for a good sequel for Man of Steel, it seems that Warner doesn't know what the fuck to do with these characters though, and instead of developing the need for a Superman vs. Batman film by giving us a proper reboot for Batman AND a better Superman film through a sequel that would address MoS shortcomings, they are shoving all that in what looks like a desperate attempt to have something to be released in 2015. Which is just... sad, imho. But oh well. Whatever happens, I'm sure that if BS bombs, we'll still have Warner trying to build their superhero universe, since there's just too much money at stake for them not to.

Competition hurt MOS the most this summer. Didn't expect that one-two punch from MU and WWZ. Even MU got hit by competition. We are not in an era anymore when 'big' films could be as leggy as FINDING NEMO or POTC: COTBP. Even the number of releases changed. There were 165 summer films back in 2003. Then there were 221 in summer 2012.

• Like 2

Competition hurt MOS the most this summer. Didn't expect that one-two punch from MU and WWZ. Even MU got hit by competition. We are not in an era anymore when 'big' films could be as leggy as FINDING NEMO or POTC: COTBP. Even the number of releases changed. There were 165 summer films back in 2003. Then there were 221 in summer 2012.

That varies too much to be a trend, it rarely goes over 200 releases. The main one to look at is wide releases since they're the ones that matter, since 2002, the fewest wide releases was 2008 with 45 and the most was 2006 with 53.

Fun statistic: MOS opened to twice as much as Inception and will finish with less.

Fun statistic: Almost every blockbuster opened with more than Inception, and every single one of them (apart from IM3 and DM2) will finish with less. Your point being? 

Inception had awesome legs, and was the most talked about movie of 2010.

• Like 5

Another fun statistic. IRON MAN lll opened almost 100 M more than AVATAR and would finish with 300 M less.

Posted Image

But they're even less comparable. At least Inception and MOS were both summer releases with Nolan's name attached.

R.I.P.D opened higher than My Big Fat Greek Wedding, but will finish with less!

Actually, though, Gopher has a very interesting point- either Inception was an absolute monster, or MOS' legs are just pretty rancid. I think it's more the former, but both can't be ruled out

• Like 2

R.I.P.D opened higher than My Big Fat Greek Wedding, but will finish with less! Actually, though, Gopher has a very interesting point- either Inception was an absolute monster, or MOS' legs are just pretty rancid. I think it's more the former, but both can't be ruled out

It's both.

That varies too much to be a trend, it rarely goes over 200 releases. The main one to look at is wide releases since they're the ones that matter, since 2002, the fewest wide releases was 2008 with 45 and the most was 2006 with 53.

But because of the other releases getting their share of tc counts, even if they are not super wide or wide ones, staying longer in theaters is not how it was a decade ago.

But they're even less comparable. At least Inception and MOS were both summer releases with Nolan's name attached.

So should I compare IRON MAN lll and THE AVENGERS? Like how IRON MAN lll would finish 200 M less despite opening just 30 M lower?

I think it's entirely possible that we are just entering a new phase of front-loading. 3x is the new 4x

There's been a steady, noticeable drop in multipliers since the 1980s. It's got nothing to do with phases.

I think it's entirely possible that we are just entering a new phase of front-loading.

3x is the new 4x

No doubt as previews will inflate OW even more so. 

Great jump for PR, I'll take a moral victory.  :D

R.I.P.D opened higher than My Big Fat Greek Wedding, but will finish with less!

Actually, though, Gopher has a very interesting point- either Inception was an absolute monster, or MOS' legs are just pretty rancid. I think it's more the former, but both can't be ruled out

Interestic stat :

MOS will be the 7th movie that won't reach $300M after opening above $100M.

There are 25 movies that have opened above $100M and bar MOS that is a first movie, only 6 sequels didn't manage to reach $300 million too : the 4 Twilight sequels, one Harry Potter sequel and X Men last strand.

Edited by Ent

Interestic stat :

MOS will be the 7th movie that won't reach $300M after opening above $100M.

There are 25 movies that have opened above $100M and bar MOS that is a first movie, only 6 sequels didn't manage to reach $300 million too : the 4 Twilight sequels, one Harry Potter sequel and X Men last strand.

It's amazing how X-Men opened to 102 for the 3 day and 120 for the 4 day and proceeding to make only 114 million the rest of run.  I mean it's a shitty film, but those are awful legs

• Like 3