Gopher

The Interview | Limited Release on December 25, 2014

We should honestly be comparing this to the Veronica Mars movie from March.

That also was released in around 300 theaters, and had a day-and-date VOD release as well.

That's a good comparison.

Also, they both had James Franco.

Edited by DeeCee

You are wrong, film would have done well. It's a funny movie.

I actually think it would've underperformed the level of Neighbors or even This Is The End absent the controversy, I was thinking 40mish.  There aren't a lot of films skewing to this type of audience though, I suppose, so there is that.  With the controversy, better, I could see it doing a lot better than that.

Even on my lower number, it would have made more money than it will now.

I actually think it would've underperformed the level of Neighbors or even This Is The End absent the controversy, I was thinking 40mish. There aren't a lot of films skewing to this type of audience though, I suppose, so there is that. With the controversy, better, I could see it doing a lot better than that.

I doubt it would have been that low. It would have at least gotten around $75 million without any controversy at all, I'm sure.

Now had the film released Thursday in a wide release with no VOD release simultaneously, it would probably be looking at $30 million or more for the 4-day. Maybe $40 million.

Watched "The Interview" on VOD. It felt like a live-action episode of Archer, most of the jokes landed and the movie is short enough to not overstretch the thin plot. The movie looks amazing though, some shots look downright amazing, especially the small sequence in China.

The movie basically 

tells us exactly how it will end in the first scene with the CIA.

• Like 2

I actually think it would've underperformed the level of Neighbors or even This Is The End absent the controversy, I was thinking 40mish.  There aren't a lot of films skewing to this type of audience though, I suppose, so there is that.  With the controversy, better, I could see it doing a lot better than that.

Neither of those underperformed. Especially Neighbors. How many comedies open to 50mil? 

Does anyone think that had this released in October, none of this controversy would have happened? Well, obviously I guess there would have been some controversy, but the Sony hack, the film getting pulled etc.

Maybe. Who knows how long the hackers were planning their attack.

• Like 1

Neither of those underperformed. Especially Neighbors. How many comedies open to 50mil? 

You're misreading my comment...I'm saying I think this film would've underperformed the level those films performed at, not that those films underperformed.