Gopher

The Interview | Limited Release on December 25, 2014

LOL check the imdb score!! BWAHAHAHHAHAHAH

9.4 from 54000 votes, lol

I haven't seen the film yet (I do expect to enjoy it) but I really hope this stays in the top 5 at least just to further prove what a joke IMDB's scoring system is.

• Like 2

I haven't seen the film yet (I do expect to enjoy it) but I really hope this stays in the top 5 at least just to further prove what a joke IMDB's scoring system is.

You mean, what a joke it's become within the last 4-5 years. It used to be a pretty good indicator before.

Well it's dropped from 9.4 a couple hours ago, to 8.9. So I don't see that happening.

Sony have taken down the biggest downloaded copies of the movie from KickAssTorrents (I've never seen that happen before).

I'm also guessing that more people pirated the movie, than actually went out and saw it. There was more than 500,000 downloads last time I checked

Edited by AJG

Sony have taken down the biggest downloaded copies of the movie from KickAssTorrents (I've never seen that happen before).

I'm also guessing that more people pirated the movie, than actually went out and saw it. There was more than 500,000 downloads last time I checked

If they didn't want it to show up in torrent sites they shouldn't have put it available in the places they did.

• Like 1

Myself included. ;)

Worldwide? Yes, definitely, by far. For everyone outside the US/Canada/Puerto Rico piracy's the only way to see this apart from having to use a US proxy and some Google Play/YouTube workarounds. No idea whether this will get intl. release.

Edited by antovolk
  • Like 1

If they didn't want it to show up in torrent sites they shouldn't have put it available in the places they did.

There's still some copies on the site, but they're larger, less downloaded files.

Some bad news for Dreamworrks, though. It appears Penguins has leaked in 720p HD.

There's still some copies on the site, but they're larger, less downloaded files.

Some bad news for Dreamworrks, though. It appears Penguins has leaked in 720p HD.

It won't matter. Families will still see it over the holidays in the places where it is playing. And in the english speaking territories the movie is already dead.

Let that be a lesson to movie studios. Never trust the internet. They love to whine and throw tantrums to get their way, but they've proven time and time again that at the end of the day it's just a very small minority making a huge fuss and it doesn't translate to dollars.

• Like 1

Let that be a lesson to movie studios. Never trust the internet. They love to whine and throw tantrums to get their way, but they've proven time and time again that at the end of the day it's just a very small minority making a huge fuss and it doesn't translate to dollars.

Yep. They should have just postponed the release and sorted out the hacking mess first. The Interview would've done very well as a wide release in March. This movie is not going to recoup its $80 million cost unless a company like Netflix is willing to overpay for exclusive rights.

• Like 1

Except I reckon the low grosses are more due to it being available on VOD and it being in limited release. Why drive an hour out to support the film when you can pay 6 dollars at home?

• Like 2

Except I reckon the low grosses are more due to it being available on VOD and it being in limited release. Why drive an hour out to support the film when you can pay 6 dollars at home?

It's averaging $1515 per screen if the 2m figure is correct. That's worse than mediocre. Hunger Games averaged about $2500 per screen on its 5th weekend. Make all the excuses you want, but the movie is performing poorly anyway you spin it.

I'd bet you're looking at another 1.25m tops from VOD. Lets wait for some VOD figures and see how you spin those when they're lousy as well.

Edited by HesAPooka
  • Like 1

Between VOD, box office, DVD, and tv rights I'm certain Sony will recoup most of their investment. Sony probably lost more money on movies like Pompeii.

It cost 45m plus marketing. I don't remember the exact figure but lets say it comes to 60m total. That means it going to have to make 60m in profits from the sales of VOD, tv, dvd etc. Doesn't sound likely at all. Maybe 1/5th of that if they're lucky given all the piracy. I don't understand why everyone is so defensive about this film and insist on making excuses for it now that it's tanking.

Edited by HesAPooka

It's averaging $1515 per screen if the 2m figure is correct. That's worse than mediocre. Hunger Games averaged about $2500 per screen on its 5th weekend. Make all the excuses you want, but the movie is performing poorly anyway you spin it.

No its not haha. Its a movie that's demographic uses the internet more than anyone. Its not playing at any major chains. I have had 4 friends see it already, how? VOD. I know for a fact those 4 friends would have gone to a theater if the VOD did not happen.

This is not a movie we can judge by box office alone, we will have to take a look at how the VOD demand did. Its just in theaters for people like me who will/want to go out there way for the theater experience.

• Like 1