Gopher

The Interview | Limited Release on December 25, 2014

Man, this is one of the most fascinating box office stories ever.  Looks fairly conclusive that Sony was targeted by North Korea, AND that it was because of this movie.

Hackers who knocked Sony Pictures Entertainment’s computer systems offline last week used tools very similar to those used last year to attack South Korean television stations and ATMs, people briefed on the investigation said.

The similarity would reinforce a hunch among some investigators, which include Sony 6758, -1.05% SNE, +0.15% the Federal Bureau of Investigation and a team from Silicon Valley security company FireEye Inc., that North Korea played a role in the breach at the film and television studio, one of the largest in the U.S.

South Korea publicly blamed the 2013 attacks on North Korea.

In the wake of the Sony attack, the FBI issued a private warning to companies late Monday to be on the lookout for a certain type of destructive malware that can make data on hard drives inaccessible, according to someone who had seen it. Retrieving any data from an affected hard drive can be quite difficult and costly, according to the FBI warning.

Sony Pictures is set to release this month “The Interview,” a comedy in which U.S. spies enlist a television host played by James Franco and his producer, played by Seth Rogen, to assassinate North Korean leader Kim Jong Un. In June, a spokesman for the Pyongyang government said distribution of the movie would be “the most undisguised terrorism and a war action” and threatened a “strong and merciless countermeasure” if the U.S. government “patronizes the film.”

Employees at the Sony Corp.-owned studio behind “The Amazing Spider-Man” and hit TV show “The Blacklist,” have been forced to work with cellphones and personal email accounts since images of a skull appeared on company computers last week along with the message “Hacked by #GOP.” Employees were warned by Sony not to use any digital devices connected to its internal networks. The hacker group, known as “Guardians of Peace,” hasn’t revealed any details about its identity or provided Sony with a list of demands.

Over Thanksgiving weekend, certain critical operations began to come back online, including those linked to DVD sales during Black Friday. On Monday, email and telephones were working, though employees were only able to work in certain buildings whose networks had been deemed secure.
Edited by Derpity

Kim Il Jongs sings:

"Tommorow! Tommorow!

We'll Hack You Tommorow!

Tommorow is another day!"

Most bizarre show biz story in a long time.

I can't help but think that South Park will use this in a future episode,since Matt Trey and company know they are on Kim's to do list....

• Like 1

Interesting fallout from the Sony hack: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-12-05/fan-interest-in-sony-s-the-interview-soars-after-attack.html

The cyber attack that crippled Sony Pictures (6758) computers has one kernel of good news for the beleaguered studio: millions have raced online to see clips of “The Interview,” the film that may have led to the seige.

Views of trailers for the film, a comedy about a plot to kill North Korean leader Kim Jong Un, soared almost 10-fold on YouTube to 406,000 a day through Dec. 3 from Nov. 24, when the computers crashed at Sony Pictures and the studio released the final clip, according to data provided by Tubular Labs. Social media chatter also soared.

“The hack increased awareness and therefore will probably result in a higher box-office result,” said Tobi Bauckhage, chief executive officer and co-founder of Moviepilot, which monitors online activity related to films.

• Like 1

Hahaha, I almost never see comedies at the theater(last one I saw was Hangover 2) but I'll probably see this, looks hilarious.  Kim Jung Un is probably the only leader in the world that you could make this movie about without anyone getting really pissed off except North Korea(and they clearly are really pissed off).  I hope this becomes a huge hit, just imagine if it did Hangover/Ted numbers, North Korea would bloviate like theres no tomorrow which would only add to the hilarity of this whole idea.

• Like 7

Hahaha, I almost never see comedies at the theater(last one I saw was Hangover 2) but I'll probably see this, looks hilarious. Kim Jung Un is probably the only leader in the world that you could make this movie about without anyone getting really pissed off except North Korea(and they clearly are really pissed off). I hope this becomes a huge hit, just imagine if it did Hangover/Ted numbers, North Korea would bloviate like theres no tomorrow which would only add to the hilarity of this whole idea.

December is boring.

I'm only paying for this and Hobbit

I don't get why December doesn't have many big budget blockbusters scheduled for release every year. It's no coincidence that the highest grossing movies of all time are release during Christmas time. Disney seems to be on of the few studios with their heads screwed on right, SW will kill it next year over the Christmas season.

"We have already given our clear demand to the management team of SONY, however, they have refused to accept. It seems that you think everything will be well, if you find out the attacker, while no reacting to our demand. We are sending you our warning again. Do carry out our demand if you want to escape us. And, Stop immediately showing the movie of terrorism which can break the regional peace and cause the War! You, SONY & FBI, cannot find us. We are perfect as much. The destiny of SONY is totally up to the wise reaction & measure of SONY."

LOL