Neo

Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny | June 30 2023 | Very mixed reviews out of Cannes

I'm very excited about this, perhaps against my better judgement. I just the love Indy movies, besides Crystal Skull, which I honestly think is solid. I'm more confident now that Mangold is writing/directing rather than Spielberg again (who I still think is capable of making great movies, just that he feels a little worn out from doing Indy).

The rumors and set photos that have been leaked make me excited as I think it's fair to say:

Spoiler

that we are likely gonna get a WW2-era opening sequence with a de-aged Ford, which is a good chance to craft a really great old-school action set piece before getting onto the main story which at this point will likely be slightly less Ford action-heavy due to his age (clearly he's still in amazing shape for his age though).

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Jayhawk the Hutt said:

I'm very excited about this, perhaps against my better judgement. I just the love Indy movies, besides Crystal Skull, which I honestly think is solid. I'm more confident now that Mangold is writing/directing rather than Spielberg again (who I still think is capable of making great movies, just that he feels a little worn out from doing Indy).

The rumors and set photos that have been leaked make me excited as I think it's fair to say:

Reveal hidden contents

I rewatched them all last year, and while KOTCS is definitely the weakest, I still enjoyed it (aside from Shia swinging through the jungle faster than a moving vehicle which is the undeniable low point). The aliens angle didn’t even bother me, it made sense for the era that it was set in, and it’s not like the last bit came out of nowhere when they’d literally been searching for crystallised alien skulls for the previous 2 hours.

All the stuff with Indy, Marion and John Hurt was great.

I’m still glad that Spielberg has handed over the reigns to James Mangold for this one though, a fresh pair of eyes that has a reverence for the originals should help keep it fresh.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

Are they going to digitally de-age Harrison Ford? 

I've read somewhere - and i would take it with a huge grain of salt - that Nazis are going to be involved somehow. Apparently, they have been seen on set, so maybe we'll get a de-aged Ford in flashbacks?

10 minutes ago, marveldcfox said:

Old men doing swashbuckling action adventure stuff is not my cup of tea. America needs to grow.

I miss the adventure serials that were so prevalent in the old days. If they have to involve grandpa Jones, so be it.

Edited by Elessar
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, SnokesLegs said:

They were awful. Textbook examples of 'if you can't think of anything for a character to do, don't have them hanging around in the first place.'

3 hours ago, Elessar said:

I've read somewhere - and i would take it with a huge grain of salt - that Nazis are going to be involved somehow. Apparently, they have been seen on set, so maybe we'll get a de-aged Ford in flashbacks?

You have not seen the offical Lucasarts trailer? Nazis are definently going to be the villians.

Now we need to reconcile that photo..set in the 1940s with the Trailer which shows Indy and his Son in the 1960's..flashback or time travel..only Spielberg and Mangold know for sure...

8 hours ago, Jayhawk the Hutt said:

Hide contents

that we are likely gonna get a WW2-era opening sequence with a de-aged Ford, which is a good chance to craft a really great old-school action set piece before getting onto the main story which at this point will likely be slightly less Ford action-heavy due to his age (clearly he's still in amazing shape for his age though).

I don;t want to start a fan war but...

Spoiler

If the villians, as the trailer indicated are a revived Nazi menace with super science weapons,that is pretty much stolen from a classic  Captain America storyline..which got reworked time and time again. But somehow I think Marvel is not going to sue.....

On 5/27/2021 at 7:03 PM, Plain Old Tele said:

I think the second half of CRYSTAL is mostly a mess, but the fridge was fun, I never had a problem with it. 

That is pretty much my take; people forget a lot of Indy Jones is meant to be taken Tongue in Cheek;and the fridge was one of them. One of the problems I have with modernday fans is too many of them have to take everything so damn seriously.

But I agree the second half was a mess. I understand that was where Spielberg and Lucas has there now infamous disagreement.

And the charecter of Mutt was the worst miscalculation in a Lucas produced movie about how a charecter would be received by the public since Jar Jar Stinks....

Edited by dudalb

Has there been an official trailer for Indy 5 yet?

I saw one I thought was for real..the one with  an older Indy with a beard but now that is being questioned.

If the on I saw ia fan made trailer, it's the best one I have seen. Thouht I don't get how they got away with using the Lucasrats/Disney logos at the beginning, without having the full might of the Disney legal department fall on them.

13 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Has there been an official trailer for Indy 5 yet?

I saw one I thought was for real..the one with  an older Indy with a beard but now that is being questioned.

If the on I saw ia fan made trailer, it's the best one I have seen. Thouht I don't get how they got away with using the Lucasrats/Disney logos at the beginning, without having the full might of the Disney legal department fall on them.

I was wondering what you were talking about in those last few posts! Yeah that’s definitely a fake trailer, they only started filming in the last week. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SnokesLegs said:

I was wondering what you were talking about in those last few posts! Yeah that’s definitely a fake trailer, they only started filming in the last week. 

God, it's the best made fan trailer I have seen.It avoids most of the obvious lfan trailers mistakes.

What I don't get is why Disney did not sue them over the use of the logos. Disney is pretty damn protective of that, and Disney's legal department is the 2000 pound guerilla of the entertaiment legal world.

3 minutes ago, dudalb said:

God, it's the best made fan trailer I have seen.It avoids most of the obvious lfan trailers mistakes.

What I don't get is why Disney did not sue them over the use of the logos. Disney is pretty damn protective of that, and Disney's legal department is the 2000 pound guerilla of the entertaiment legal world.

Fake trailers get away with that kind of thing all the time, I’ve lost count of how many fake Marvel trailers I’ve seen (usually on Facebook) that start with the Marvel logo and fanfare.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, SnokesLegs said:

I rewatched them all last year, and while KOTCS is definitely the weakest, I still enjoyed it (aside from Shia swinging through the jungle faster than a moving vehicle which is the undeniable low point). The aliens angle didn’t even bother me, it made sense for the era that it was set in, and it’s not like the last bit came out of nowhere when they’d literally been searching for crystallised alien skulls for the previous 2 hours.

I absolutely love the bar room brawl and university bike chase. Most of the opening is great as well before they get to the rocket booster and nuke town. I do enjoy the film though, it's not nearly as bad as everyone says, but definitely not up to scratch. 

I think when things get too CG is when I get pulled out. I hope Mangold takes a page out of Abrams book and finds that balance. Fingers crossed he shoots on film as well. Just wont feel like Indy if he doesn't.

Edited by FilmFincher
  • Like 1

On 6/8/2021 at 8:50 AM, Jayhawk the Hutt said:

Reveal hidden contents

I'm just cautiously curious due to all the time spent willing this into existence, not necessarily due to trust in Mangold, who I don't think is all that great of a fit for this? Phoebe Waller Bridge is a cool get though.

Ideally, I think I would prefer it if this film was treated as one last hurrah for the franchise, but it wouldn’t surprise me if we hear that this is actually supposed to be the start of a trilogy or something like that. At the very least, it’s gotta be the last one for Harrison Ford and John Williams. 

Given that the last one was supposed to be a "passing of the torch" conclusion where one door closed and another one opened (and it didn't work out), I doubt they'll be going that route again. Hopefully having a new director who has already proven he can handle action scenes taking over will result in this one being much less divisive.

21 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Given that the last one was supposed to be a "passing of the torch" conclusion where one door closed and another one opened (and it didn't work out), I doubt they'll be going that route again. Hopefully having a new director who has already proven he can handle action scenes taking over will result in this one being much less divisive.

If that’s the case, then this would either have to be the last one, or they would need to focus exclusively on a young Indiana Jones moving forward, because there’s no way Harrison Ford can keep playing an action hero at this point. I’ve seen speculation that Boyd Holbrook is playing a young Indiana, but that would be weird, because he’s older than Harrison Ford was when he first played the character. 

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

I don't think the movie was meant as passing the torch at all. If anything, they made it abundantly clear that they wouldn't do that by having Indy snatch his hat out of Mutt's hands at the wedding.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

If that’s the case, then this would either have to be the last one, or they would need to focus exclusively on a young Indiana Jones moving forward, because there’s no way Harrison Ford can keep playing an action hero at this point. I’ve seen speculation that Boyd Holbrook is playing a young Indiana, but that would be weird, because he’s older than Harrison Ford was when he first played the character. 

I can’t see them doing any passing of the torch teasing in this one after how badly that part of KOTCS was received. If this is indeed the last time Harrison Ford returns, then I think they do a full reboot further down the line. I wouldn’t be surprised to see them try to quickly get another one with Harrison Ford in if this one is well received though, I know he’d be 80 by then, but he’s not as frail as a lot of people seem to think he is.