Neo

Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny | June 30 2023 | Very mixed reviews out of Cannes

On 3/9/2022 at 11:35 AM, TheDude391 said:

The lack of the paramount logo morphing into something is gonna suck in the new one. Unless they find some loophole to still kinda do it.

THey could do z zoom shot of Disneylnad and zero in on the Matterhorn........

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Although it's not my favorite Indy Jones movie, My f;avorite Indy Jones opening scene is 
"Temple of Doom". The future Mrs. Speilberg singing Cole Porter's "Anything Goes" in Chinese. Genius.

"Hold onto you potato!!"

With Mangold directing, im expecting a very depressive Indy film about the characters ending days, fighting with trauma, exhaustion, old age and never-healing old wounds. It will probably be a neo-western setting where Indy helps a little girl who is way better than him at whipping Lions and also has a cooler new hat. At the end, he will suffer a fatal wound and die.

Edited by Brainbug
  • ...wtf 1

10 hours ago, Brainbug said:

With Mangold directing, im expecting a very depressive Indy film about the characters ending days, fighting with trauma, exhaustion, old age and never-healing old wounds. It will probably be a neo-western setting where Indy helps a little girl who is way better than him at whipping Lions and also has a cooler new hat. At the end, he will suffer a fatal wound and die.

[Orders ticket immediately]

Edited by Hatebox
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

I am just here for Phoebe Waller Bridge

I love Indy Jones anyway, but Waller Bridge certainly add to the appeal of the film.

And, though she is uncreditied, you can bet she added somehting to the dialogue in the film.

On 3/23/2022 at 2:51 PM, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Hopefully. You can tell the flavor she injected into NTTD.

I also cnfrimed by repeated viewing on one scene from Blu Ray she does have a very brief blind and you  will miss it cameo in NTTD; She is a secratray at MI6 who hands Bond a bunch of papers.

• Astonished 1

On 3/10/2022 at 4:24 AM, Porthos said:

Fox Fanfare never came back to SW flicks, even when 20th Century was bought, so it ain't happening, I'm afraid.

IIRC Disney licenses the Fox and FX logos, names (even though the FOX name has been removed), and fanfare from Rupert Murdoch's Fox and can't actually use it any way they like (eg slapping it on any film that has nothing to do 20th Century Studios). 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, AJG said:

IIRC Disney licenses the Fox and FX logos, names (even though the FOX name has been removed), and fanfare from Rupert Murdoch's Fox and can't actually use it any way they like (eg slapping it on any film that has nothing to do 20th Century Studios). 

I'd be interested in a source for this if you have it.

• Like 2

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-features/mads-mikkelsen-interview-fantastic-beasts-johnny-depp-jk-rowling-1235129001/

His much-deserved break follows the actor working for 14 months on Beasts and his other upcoming big franchise project — the long-awaited Indiana Jones 5.

While he’s forbidden from discussing character or story details from the film (the rumor is that he plays, yes, the villain), Mikkelsen revealed the movie feels like a return to the franchise’s early 1980s roots.

“[Raiders of the Lost Ark] was one of my favorite films, and it just oozed that golden period of serials from the 1940s — and that’s in the fifth film as well,” he says. “They’re going heavily back to the first and second film and getting that original feel, the original Indy, something dense and epic.”

James Mangold (Ford v Ferrari) has taken over directing duties from Steven Spielberg, who remains on board as an executive producer. “It felt like a Spielberg film, though it’s obviously James making it with the same vision,” Mikkelsen says. Harrison Ford, who’s pushing 80, returns as the iconic adventurer.

Asked how Ford was holding up following reports that he injured his shoulder on set, Mikkelsen says he was impressed with his co-star’s physicality. “It was the first time I met him, and he’s an insanely powerful person,” he says. “Not just as an actor, but physically. I remember the first day we were shooting, it was a night shoot, then we stopped at 5 a.m. — and then he got on his mountain bike and went biking for 50 kilometers. Harrison is a monster of a man, a very nice monster.”

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

Disappointing.

I was excited for old, grumpy Indy battling the Aliens from the 4th movie in his own space battleship in a mult-dimensional-multiverse-dimension-world.

Well, they re-shot half the damn thing, so we don't really know what we're going to get...

On 3/29/2022 at 1:51 PM, AJG said:

Disney owns Fox the film studio lock, stock and barrel and can do what they want with it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dudalb said:

Disney owns Fox the film studio lock, stock and barrel and can do what they want with it.

Yes and No. Disney own the studio and their IP, but the Fox logos, fanfare, and name are licensed from Murdoch’s Fox. This is also why the logos for Fox News and Fox Business retain the ‘fox searchlights’. This Fox Business logo came about months after the merger (notice the searchlights next to FOX)

fox-business-new-logo.png?w=681&h=383&cr

Stuff like this isn’t really uncommon. Warner Music Group is a completely separate company from WB/Discovery and they license their brand and logos from them (WMG’s Warner Chappell and Warner Bros Records both recently changed their logo due their license to the WB shield expiring). Universal Music Group license their name and logo from Comcast. The companies named Blackberry, Nokia, and Motorola that are currently producing phones with those brands all license their name and brand from the original (now completely separate) founding corporations. 

(I work for and Ad Agency so this is why I know this seemingly unnecessary logo trivia. I’m not weird. I promise.)

Edit (another fun fact. Disney bought Fox Kids operations decades ago. That’s how the US got ABC Family and Europe got Jetix. Now that they’ve bought the rest of 21st Century they still cannot relaunch the Fox Kids brand.)

Edited by AJG

6 hours ago, AJG said:

Yes and No. Disney own the studio and their IP, but the Fox logos, fanfare, and name are licensed from Murdoch’s Fox. This is also why the logos for Fox News and Fox Business retain the ‘fox searchlights’. This Fox Business logo came about months after the merger (notice the searchlights next to FOX)

fox-business-new-logo.png?w=681&h=383&cr

Stuff like this isn’t really uncommon. Warner Music Group is a completely separate company from WB/Discovery and they license their brand and logos from them (WMG’s Warner Chappell and Warner Bros Records both recently changed their logo due their license to the WB shield expiring). Universal Music Group license their name and logo from Comcast. The companies named Blackberry, Nokia, and Motorola that are currently producing phones with those brands all license their name and brand from the original (now completely separate) founding corporations. 

(I work for and Ad Agency so this is why I know this seemingly unnecessary logo trivia. I’m not weird. I promise.)

Edit (another fun fact. Disney bought Fox Kids operations decades ago. That’s how the US got ABC Family and Europe got Jetix. Now that they’ve bought the rest of 21st Century they still cannot relaunch the Fox Kids brand.)

Again I will ask for a source for this.

It stands to reason that TFCF owned the fanfare, the 20th Century logo, FX logos, Searchlight and so on. Disney's own 2019 10-K and annual report state that

On March 20, 2019, the Company acquired the outstanding capital stock of Twenty-First Century Fox, Inc., which was subsequently renamed TFCF Corporation, a diversified global media and entertainment company. Prior to the acquisition, TFCF and a newly-formed subsidiary of TFCF (New Fox) entered into a separation agreement, pursuant to which TFCF transferred to New Fox a portfolio of TFCF’s news, sports and broadcast businesses and certain other assets. TFCF retained all of the assets and liabilities not transferred to New Fox, the most significant of which were the Twentieth Century Fox film and television studios, certain cable networks (primarily FX and National Geographic), TFCF’s international television businesses (including Star) and TFCF’s 30% interest in Hulu LLC (Hulu). Under the terms of the agreement governing the acquisition, the Company will generally phase-out Fox brands by 2024, but has perpetual rights to certain Fox brands, including the Twentieth Century Fox and Fox Searchlight brands.

What you are saying is interesting, if true, but I don't take anything at face value and I would really like to see a source for this. The only evidence I could find points to the opposite of what you are claiming.  Common sense and verbiage from the acquisition also leads me to believe that the logos, brands, and fanfares related to the studios and production facilities bought by Disney belongs to them. New FOX (i.e. Rupert's company) retained the FOX Business, FOX Channel and the like.

I must also say that noticing the "searchlight" on the above logo and suggesting that it's the same as the ones from 20th Century Fox and Fox Searchlight is a reach at best. That to me looks like the FOX Business logo that's been kinda like that forever, maybe with a few changes. New FOX retained FOX Business. Apples and oranges.

Edited by AnotherDayAnotherDollar
  • Like 2

On 4/14/2022 at 6:48 AM, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

Disappointing.

I was excited for old, grumpy Indy battling the Aliens from the 4th movie in his own space battleship in a mult-dimensional-multiverse-dimension-world.

I hope you are being funny.

I firmly beleive that Supernatural menaces fit into the Indy franchise better then Sci Fi.

Edited by dudalb