Neo

Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny | June 30 2023 | Very mixed reviews out of Cannes

1 hour ago, lorddemaxus said:

Lord & Miller, Del Toro, and now Verbinski. How many directors that literally cannot work within Marvel's ecosystem are u gonna recommend to work for Marvel?

Looking forward to the Scorsese recommendation...

9 hours ago, screambaby said:

Sub 45 possible?

If  it opens below scream 6 (which I'm a huge fan of) I give up...

Spicy content plz

6 hours ago, TomThomas said:

I like Avatar 2 though, but it was part of Fox merger. While Fox permanently ruined Alien way before Disney, they somehow managed to make even worse decisions than Fox brass, it's like Alien and Terminator franchises are some sort of Twilight Zone for studio executives where each subsequent regime somehow makes even worse decisions than previous one. I'd love to see Kathleen Kennedy taking over Alien because she would still do a better job than all previous higher ups and producers responsible for it.

There's only 1 truly bad Alien film and that's Alien: Resurrection.   Terminator is a whole different story, everything after T3 is absolute dreck.  Genysis is one of the most baffling big budget studio releases of all time.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

Spicy content plz

There's only 1 truly bad Alien film and that's Alien: Resurrection.   Terminator is a whole different story, everything after T3 is absolute dreck.  Genysis is one of the most baffling big budget studio releases of all time.

So glad they corrected it with that masterpiece dark fate!

I do lole T3....can  literally say I didn't see the ending coming

Edited by screambaby

9 hours ago, Krissykins said:

Technically it would need to open to $81m+ 3 day to do “better than” The Flash. 

$200m vs $295m budget. 

Could end up the biggest bomb of the year, but maybe legs and OS will save it. 

This $295 million budget includes participation and taxes. Trades such as Deadline do not include participation and tax costs in their budget figures. So I don't understand why the criteria to say budget for this movie is different from others.

8 hours ago, ZattMurdock said:

People need big bads, apparently. With WB being a good guy for reasons. Avatar 2? Not good enough. MCU joints? Trash. Star Wars? Bah. WB savior of cinema because Fury Road and Dune I guess. It’s been always like this. Now with chuds joining the choir, it’s awesome. 

this but unironically ngl

I mean WB is in deep shit and people have been making fun of them like there's no tomorrow this year but sure I guess

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Bob Train said:

I feel like all the 80s and 90s nostalgia properties have been mined to oblivion. Studios should now move on to 2000s. No Way Home was a huge hit largely because of mining the Raimi trilogy nostalgia, so it can work.

A movie that would have done considerably better than this one would have been an Uncharted movie that was actually an Uncharted movie, and not a giant vehicle for tiny Tom Holland

The Uncharted series is hugely popular with the kinds of audience that twenty years prior would have loved the Indiana Jones movies. Cast an actual fully grown man to play Nathan Drake, write a better story, and use better practical effects, and Sony would have had a bone fide breakout hit on their hands that would probably have made much more money than the decent, but forgettable 400 it did.

A massive wasted opportunity, especially when you look at the success of The Last Of Us and Super Mario Bros.

Edited by FunkMiller
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, Bob Train said:

I feel like all the 80s and 90s nostalgia properties have been mined to oblivion. Studios should now move on to 2000s. No Way Home was a huge hit largely because of mining the Raimi trilogy nostalgia, so it can work.

Some exec somewhere is cooking up an idea to make a cross over film with Underworld, Milla RE films, The Mummy and Van Helsing.

• Astonished 1

4 hours ago, Ozymandias said:

While Resurrection is quite trashy and nasty, I don't see how it's worse than Covenant. And I assume you didn't count AvPs? T3 is dreck too though, it had a couple of cool moments, but so did Salvation, everything after T2 is a failure.

7 hours ago, ZattMurdock said:

Marvel Studios should rehabilitate Gore. It’s been long enough. Give him something crazy he hasn’t done before, the cosmic side of Marvel needs some love now that the Guardians trilogy is finished. Starjammers, Ravagers, idk.

He’d have been a much better fit for Indy than Mangold.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

Huh. Wonder why this is the case, since Disney's owned Indiana Jones for a decade now. Maybe some lingering contract hitch?

Decade old news 

The Walt Disney Studios and Paramount Pictures have reached a distribution and marketing agreement for the Indiana Jones franchise.

Under the arrangement, Disney gains distribution and marketing rights to future films, in addition to retaining the ownership rights it secured when it acquired Lucasfilm.

Paramount will continue to be responsible for distribution of the first four films in the franchise and will receive a financial participation on any future films that are produced and released.

https://variety.com/2013/film/news/disney-acquires-indiana-jones-rights-from-paramount-1200927216/

4 hours ago, FunkMiller said:

"and use better practical effects"

Wrong. The effects where great, and reacted as they would physically accurate, what did not was believe or not artistic choise. Not all filmmakers have studied physics like James Cameron, know computer science for vfx, listen to proffessionals on the field like Nolan did for Interstellar etc, is not the vfx. A lot of time what people mean is camera movement (Example Dennis V. uses steady shots Even if everything is CG, that another director would not), a lot of people do not know how cinema works and are fooled by Marketing like Tom Cruise, like Top Gun Maverick that withheld the VFX reel because a lot of times things they do practically are replaced and just used as reference. 

WATCH THIS VIDEO, made by people with an idea of what they are talking about and not the video essayst that pollute film discussion. Its just so annoying the missinformation on VFX exhacerbated by Marketing, and people repeating the same thing over and over. 

• Heart 1

9 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

Lord & Miller, Del Toro, and now Verbinski. How many directors that literally cannot work within Marvel's ecosystem are u gonna recommend to work for Marvel?

it's literally the only way he can express praise for a filmmaker. 

• Haha 3
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, TheDude391 said:

My dad dozed off during one of the action scenes and I struggled to stay awake a few times because of how boring it was. Never sinks as low as Crystal Skull, but that movie had some high highs at least...this is just middling throughout. 4/10, worst Indy by a country mile.

Haha oh god i'm seeing it with my dad tonight and he'll fall asleep quick if a movie loses him.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

None of these people have ever worked for Marvel (directly) so idk what you mean. They did all work for DC though 

43 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

None of these people have ever worked for Marvel (directly) so idk what you mean. They did all work for DC though 

Don’t recall Verbinski ever having an DC joint, he got close to making Gambit though. That said I doubt any of the four he recommended really want to do an MCU or DCU joint or Elseworld joint despite the former doing stuff with SpiderVerse. A Lord/Miller MCU joint would be improbable based on their style alone.

Edited by YM!

5 hours ago, FunkMiller said:

A movie that would have done considerably better than this one would have been an Uncharted movie that was actually an Uncharted movie, and not a giant vehicle for tiny Tom Holland

The Uncharted series is hugely popular with the kinds of audience that twenty years prior would have loved the Indiana Jones movies. Cast an actual fully grown man to play Nathan Drake, write a better story, and use better practical effects, and Sony would have had a bone fide breakout hit on their hands that would probably have made much more money than the decent, but forgettable 400 it did.

A massive wasted opportunity, especially when you look at the success of The Last Of Us and Super Mario Bros.

Audiences have definitely spoken. For the most part they want accurate video game adaptations. Yes, Uncharted did fine but obviously money was left on the table.

• Like 1