Shawn Robbins

WEEKEND ACTUALS: WTM (17.96m), Elysium (13.69m), Planes (13.39m), KA2 (13.33m), Percy (8.75m)

F&F7 won't make just 800M. F&F 6 came within inch of that number so F&F 7 should come close or crack 900M. If it keep adding over 100M more to its coffers. But since this time a big name is a villain, lets aim for 1B. Hype is going to be deafening.

I think the F&F franchise hit its ceiling/peak already like Star Trek did.

Just like there's a limited number of people open to Star Trek, there's a limited number of people open to car heist movies.

Just like there's a limited number of people open to Star Trek, there's a limited number of people open to car heist movies.

I agree with you and I think the producers do too.....that's why Statham was brought in.

I agree with you and I think the producers do too.....that's why Statham was brought in.

Statham was brought in before the first dollar of Fast 6 was made. Fast franchise was on a roll at the worst #7 would be decreased ala STID, but has an OS increase.

Only the first and fifth Fast movies were heist movies. ;)

For all his clout as one of the supposed big action stars of today, Statham has yet to headline a true box office hit. Take out The Expendables movies and his box office history is quite pathetic really. 20-30m is about what all his starring role action films have done. So calling him a draw is certainly up for debate, leaning more towards him not being one.

Statham makes 3~4 movies every year. Cant they all be hits.

They don't all have to be big hits but at least one of them should have been by now if he were a draw. The fact that Transporter 2's 40m is his highest grossing starring role doesn't indicate "box office draw" at all.

They don't all have to be big hits but at least one of them should have been by now if he were a draw. The fact that Transporter 2's 40m is his highest grossing starring role doesn't indicate "box office draw" at all.

Although Statham is not really a draw, his movies do tend to sell well on DVD, it’s just that not enough can seem to support him when it comes to the big screen.

But you can't argue with numbers. And the numbers of all his flicks show that Statham has never really been a draw.

Baumer pretty much nailed it on the last page.  It keeps the franchise fresh and relevant.  Like The Rock, Statham isn't a big boxoffice draw, but everyone knows who he is and he does have a good enough screen presence.  Fast 7 will have the franchise's first real villain, played by an action star everyone knows.

• Like 4

Baumer pretty much nailed it on the last page.  It keeps the franchise fresh and relevant.  Like The Rock, Statham isn't a big boxoffice draw, but everyone knows who he is and he does have a good enough screen presence.  Fast 7 will have the franchise's first real villain, played by an action star everyone knows.

Pretty much. Statham is recognizable but doesn't necessarily bring in the audiences by himself because his movies are very formulaic. But put him in a big franchise like this? And as the villain, interacting with The Rock and Vin Diesel? That will draw in some new audiences that may have not seen the standalone Statham film.

Edited by Carlos Danger
  • Like 4

Fantastic.  They makeup to make him look like Reagan was incredible.

Here is my take on the cast:

Forrest Whitaker:  Oscar worthy.  Quiet but brilliant.

Mariah Carey:  I didn't even know it was her.  She was fine but had very little to do.

Alex Pettyfer:  An asshole and plays one well.  I hated him but he played him well.

Vanessa Redgrave:  Not much to do either.

Oprah:  Great range.  Powerful scenes and definitely Oscar worthy.

David Oyelowo:  The best performance of the film imo.

Terrence Howard:  Slimy, swarmy and unlikable, did it very well.

Cuba Gooding Jr.:  He is good in everything.  I don't know what happened to him after Jerry Maguire but he is good here again.

Lenny Kravitz:  good strong performance.

Robin Williams:  Not overly memorable

John Cusack:  Best of the cameos...nails Nixon's mannerisms

James Marsden:  Terrific as JFK

Minka Kelly:  Gorgeous but not much to do

Liev Schreiber:  Decent

Alan Rickman:  Fantastic

Jane Fonda:  Just a natural actress.  Was on screen for about 60 seconds but she was perfect as Nancy Reagan

The girl who played Whitaker's Black Panther son's girlfriend was powerful and had a commanding presence in her few scenes. Interestingly enough, she was the first runner-up in the third season of America's Next Top Model, Yaya Dacosta.

Posted Image

MARVEL...I think we've found our Monica Rambeau/Photon/Pulsar  for a future Avengers or Guardians of the Galaxy sequel...

Posted Image

Edited by cochofles
  • Like 3

As I said in the weekend predict thread, the only "new" film I'm hearing people saying they are going to see or just saw is Planes. The other ones are more "older" films like TLR and DM2 are ones I'm still hearing people talking about seeing soon.