CJohn

Weekend Estimates: Riddick - 18.6M | The Butler - 8.9M | We're the Millers - 7.9M

Riddick was partly self financed by Diesel as loans fell through but Universal footed some of the bill in exchange for Domestic rights, the film is being distributed by local distributors worldwide so Universal isn't going to earn anything from foreign box office. Diesel is likely earned scale just from the acting side but he'll make some money if the film overperforms.

That means Diesel also has rights to all the other money as well.  TV, DVD, BR, cable, digital downloads and so on.

Saw it, totally dug it. The movie isn't going to necessarily appeal beyond its audience but its a good R rated romp, Riddick doing his thing. Probably argue it's better than Chronicles...even if the lower budget shows. I don't care it's good. Hoepfully it does well enough for a sequel...well need some solid international for that though.Or just Diesel throwing his weight around. Ill watch 10 more Fast and Furious movies so I can get more of these.

Posted Image

Will you look at that headline (mistakes 900k for 900 Million, lol) Avatar and Avengers watch out.  Riddick is about to break records, lol.  I think 7.3 Million is fine.  Mainly cause Vin and company scaled back the budget.  The biggest issue with "Chronicles" is they went way to big for the 2nd film.  "Pitch Black" was a cult sci-fi film not a Blockbuster so to try to make the sequel a Blockbuster was over reaching. By scaling back the budget a 18-22 OW isn't that bad.  It will probably tap out around the original "Pitch Black" numbers but overseas it should do better than both part 1 and 2.  Movie was cool, glad Vin kept it "R-rated".  Universal only cares about "Fast and the Furious" franchise right now so they gave Vin what he wanted.  

• Like 3

Just came back, loved it. I havn't even seen the first two Riddick films.

Both "Pitch Black" and "Chronicles" are streaming online you can easily find them.  I suggest you watch them.  I watched both this week and it made "Riddick" even more enjoyable to watch the trilogy, especially "Pitch Black" which is still the best film of the series. 

• Like 1

Both "Pitch Black" and "Chronicles" are streaming online you can easily find them.  I suggest you watch them.  I watched both this week and it made "Riddick" even more enjoyable to watch the trilogy, especially "Pitch Black" which is still the best film of the series.

Yup, definitely watch. Both fun films...Chronicles is a bit of a genre shift, and softened a bit from this and the first...but it fits in nicely...and will explain better how Riddick hooked himself up with those four naked and tasty looking Necrobabes.
  • Like 1

I'm not a big fan of the Riddick movies, but I love Diesel's enthusiasm and respect for his audience. Hollywood needs more actors like him.

I definitely agree. Imagine if we had a star with the type of genre enthusiasm Diesel has and the director taste and pedigree someone like Tom Cruise or Leo has...It'd be amazing. Well, assuming he could talk those types of talent to play in the genre pool.

I strongly recommend INI.If you don't mind the Spanish it's one of the most touching movies this year.The ending was very emotional. My wife cried both times and I did shed some man tears!

Edited by #ED