Gopher

Thursday Numbers: Gravity 5.35m / Captain Philips 600k

The weekday numbers have been too strong imo for it to hit 40 mill this weekend.

So...

Thurs - 5.3M

Friday - 11.6M (+120%)

Saturday - 16.3 (+40%)

Sunday - 11.4 (-30%)

39.3M

Basically, the increases have to be bigger than mine to hit 40M this weekend.

I get what baumer's saying, and I think he has a great point, plus CP will provide hefty competition. But shit, at the same time, sometimes films defy logic, and I think Gravity has the potential to be one of those films- a very mini Avatar, if you will. 

• Like 1

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/box-office-captain-phillips-enjoying-647851

Sony's Captain Phillips is doing solid matinee business at the Friday box office, putting the adult drama on course to gross north of $20 million in its North American debut. 

But Alfonso Cuaron's Gravity remains the bigger play, and will have no trouble staying at No. 1. Friday's numbers suggest that the Warner Bros. space epic, starring Sandra Bullock andGeorge Clooney, will earn north of $35 million or more in its second weekend, pushing the film's North American total to upwards of $100 million by Sunday.

After Captain Phillips, the weekend's only other new wide player is exploitation action film Machete Kills, from writer-director Robert Rodriguez. Machete Kills is expected to open in the $7 million to $8 million range.

Were kids out of school yesterday or something? Why did Cloudy, Planes, DM2, and other kids movies have big jumps?

This might be a stretch but I know in a lot of elementary school in Canada they have the Friday off before Thanksgiving. That might be why Thursday had jumps, because they didn't have school today? 

"With a cast led by Danny Trejo and Michelle Rodriguez, Machete Kills is the third film based on the fake trailers accompanying Grindhouse".

So what was the third film? Machete, Machete Kills, Machete says no?

Hobo With A Shotgun

Surprised we haven't got Friday numbers yet...

• Like 1