Olive

Captain America: The Winter Soldier ( More than $700M WW, Huge Success!)

Uh...giving a superhero movie obscure early November slot, to be a sacrificial lamb to Hunger Games isn't giving something "precedence". That would be placing it a month before may against direct-to-video competition, and guest starring half of SHIELD :). It is CAP that got precedence. Its a bit presumptuous to predict 2.5 years from now, but if Cap 3 opens anywhere near BvS, it will do the same or A LOT LESS than Thor 3.

You gotta remember, Cap 3 had laughable competition, is barely beating Thor 2's overseas total, and will ONLY make a slight gain over Dark World overall! This wasnt a super-duper-blockbuster performance!

Something tells me you don't quite understand how box office works.  To put it as basic as possible:

Captain America:  370 mill

Captain America 2:  700+

How exactly is this not a blockbuster performance?  it almost doubled the last ones total.

Posted Image

Edited by baumer
  • Like 6

I'm not trolling, and it IS TRUE. Bears...and I'm a NatGeo and nature nut and I saw the movie...but this isn't a film that should be anywhere near Cap 2. Heaven is for Real, God's not Dead, Transcendence...RIO 2 was a "B" animated title. Half the net knows Cap 2 had a month of a direct-to-video wasteland.Get this idea of Cap 2 as an unstopopable juggernaut out of your head. Transformers, Hunger Games 3, and Hobbit 3 (and Spidey 2) will come out and SHOW you what an ELITE BLOCKBUSTER does. Cap 2 will wind up with a "middle of the road" performance. A little better than Thor 2 domestically, and look at overseas! Its looking to barely beat Thor 2's 438M! Its made LESS money than Thor 2 in MOST of the markets on the overseas circuit! This off of unanimous critics support, unanimous word of mouth, and doormat competition! An elite blockbuster pulls in a billion easily of that competition! The minute Cap 2 went up against a movie with ANY kind of draw, it got HAMMERED!So come off your high horse, and realize that BvS will make over a billion, and Cap 3 will get MURDERED if they keep it head to head! This isn't Bears again. This is a showdown with an ELITE boxoffice draw! Something Cap 2 comfortably avoided!

Cap's shield stronger than Thor's hammer 

How am I a troll? I'm a fan of a Marvel character (not necessarily Marvel Studios as a whole), I'm bringing up valid statistics and numbers! Dont take your ball and run away :)!

Don't worry. No one is doing that. It's why the members still reply to you, countering your arguments with accurate stats and numbers that you refused to see. A lot of us would want you to grab your balls and go away. But then, we don't always get what we want. Shame.
  • Like 1

Cap 2 surpassed Thor 2's OS box office, as I SAID it eventually will, but the point is that Winter Soldier is almost dead anyway! This isn't IM3 pulling in 800M OS, this is barely more than what Thor 2 did! And I said Cap 2 isn't an ELITE blockbuster. Fanboys in this thread are treating it as such. Compared to the near bomb of 2011 it is, LMFAO! if THATS the standard you're using, Cap 2 is the movie of the century :D!Transformers, Hobbit 3, and Hunger Games 3 will show you the standard that Cap 2 won't even sniff. Struggling to eclipse 700M and underperforming in various OS markets isn't a license to proclaim this franchises "superiority" over Thor. In fact there's some troubling results outside of China and SK that will give Feige some concerns.

Look at that UK number.  CA2 opened 38% behind TDW it's going to pass it, more than doubling TFA's run.  Chalk up another obscure market it's going to beat TDW in.

A $22.4m week O/S after a $35m -  and with ASM2 opening in the rest of it's markets.  Great hold.  A pity it left China on Sat.

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 3

Cap 2 surpassed Thor 2's OS box office, as I SAID it eventually will, but the point is that Winter Soldier is almost dead anyway! This isn't IM3 pulling in 800M OS, this is barely more than what Thor 2 did!And I said Cap 2 isn't an ELITE blockbuster. Fanboys in this thread are treating it as such. Compared to the near bomb of 2011 it is, LMFAO! if THATS the standard you're using, Cap 2 is the movie of the century :D!Transformers, Hobbit 3, and Hunger Games 3 will show you the standard that Cap 2 won't even sniff. Struggling to eclipse 700M and underperforming in various OS markets isn't a license to proclaim this franchises "superiority" over Thor. In fact there's some troubling results outside of China and SK that will give Feige some concerns.

:rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:

• Like 4

CA2 was lucky to snare April - the month all franchises covet and where so many other blockbusters have found fortune.  Poor Thor and Spider-man having to deal with November and May.

And of course making more money in Russia, Nordic & Germanic countries with a character named Thor is more legitimate than making more in China, SK, HK, Vietnam etc with a character named Captain America.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 2

Russia is a BIG deal. You can make a lot of money there. Not on China's level, but good money. France and Italy are a big deal. Australia. For Cap 2 to fall flat in these markets should be very SOBERING to you fanboys!

Quit it Thorerulez or MarvelMaintEvent or whatever other name you use from site to site to regurgate the same drivel.

Your obsession with the God Of Thunder is pathetic and bordering insane..talk about fanboyism at its paroxism.. !

• Like 2

Just more numbers for OdinSon to ignore.

Brazil, Mexico and South Korea are bigger markets for CA2 & TDW than France, Germany or Italy. Heck, Malaysia is bigger than Spain.

CA2 expanded 75%-150% in most European markets.  It's going to finish about 10% behind TDW in Italy, if that and it had an increase in the market from it's first where as TDW was pretty much flat from Thor.  So far CA2's Australia it's pacing along with TDW (home of Hemsworth) and is going to double what TFA made.  It had a 80%+hike in Russia from TFA without opening on week long school holiday. It's so far had a 80% hike in France where it opened 40% behind TDW and is now less than 15% behind it.  It's more than doubled TFA in the UK where will make more than TDW.

CA2's O/S will finish at $460m+ , $270m more than the first.  $115m of that is China - which still counts but more than $150m isn't.

• Like 3

Captain America: The Winter Soldier has been able to weather the Spider-Man 2 storm well over the last three weeks. The Captain added $10 million in its latest overseas frame, bringing its total outside of North America up to $442.7 million. The sequel has now grossed a total of $679.8 million worldwide.

Top markets for the film include China ($115.8M), UK ($30.9M), South Korea ($30.9M), Brazil ($25.6M), and Mexico (25.2M).

http://www.boxoffice.com/news/2014-05-04-global-the-amazing-spider-man-2-swings-to-369m-after-north-american-debut-rio-2-closes-in-on-400m-divergent-reaches-250m-mark

• Like 1

Cap 2 surpassed Thor 2's OS box office, as I SAID it eventually will, but the point is that Winter Soldier is almost dead anyway! This isn't IM3 pulling in 800M OS, this is barely more than what Thor 2 did! And I said Cap 2 isn't an ELITE blockbuster. Fanboys in this thread are treating it as such. Compared to the near bomb of 2011 it is, LMFAO! if THATS the standard you're using, Cap 2 is the movie of the century :D!Transformers, Hobbit 3, and Hunger Games 3 will show you the standard that Cap 2 won't even sniff. Struggling to eclipse 700M and underperforming in various OS markets isn't a license to proclaim this franchises "superiority" over Thor. In fact there's some troubling results outside of China and SK that will give Feige some concerns.

Whatever imaginary battles you think you're fighting for in Thor's honor, buddy, you're fighting the wrong ones. There's a lot of Marvel fans here who love both characters and want to see their movies achieving big success. Even though TDW came in a bit short of expectations, it was still a hit. And us fans all want Thor 3 to be handled even better creative-wise, thus, reaching the great potential in both BO and quality that a Thor movie has.
  • Like 2

Something tells me you don't quite understand how box office works.  To put it as basic as possible:

Captain America:  370 mill

Captain America 2:  700+

How exactly is this not a blockbuster performance?  it almost doubled the last ones total.

Posted Image

Yep and Iron man 3 had massive help having all that Avenger themes in it, and that the character is almost the star of the massive teamup movies.

Captain America 2 and 3 are seeing mega increases because quality of these films are off the charts.. This is a massive success for Cap indeed Baum and despite our haters delusions, all in the world are impressed by the jump.

Cap 3 could join the  900-1billion club thanks to greatness of the Winter soldier.. I love it

• Like 1

Cap 2 surpassed Thor 2's OS box office, as I SAID it eventually will, but the point is that Winter Soldier is almost dead anyway! This isn't IM3 pulling in 800M OS, this is barely more than what Thor 2 did!

And I said Cap 2 isn't an ELITE blockbuster. Fanboys in this thread are treating it as such. Compared to the near bomb of 2011 it is, LMFAO! if THATS the standard you're using, Cap 2 is the movie of the century :D!

Transformers, Hobbit 3, and Hunger Games 3 will show you the standard that Cap 2 won't even sniff. Struggling to eclipse 700M and underperforming in various OS markets isn't a license to proclaim this franchises "superiority" over Thor. In fact there's some troubling results outside of China and SK that will give Feige some concerns.

Russia is a BIG deal. You can make a lot of money there. Not on China's level, but good money. France and Italy are a big deal. Australia. For Cap 2 to fall flat in these markets should be very SOBERING to you fanboys!

Posted Image

• Like 4