Olive

Captain America: The Winter Soldier ( More than $700M WW, Huge Success!)

Is Cap 2's overseas total a LITTLE tainted, because 25-30% of it is from just China and South Korea, and it made LESS than Thor 2 EVERYWHERE ELSE on the overseas circuit?! There may be a little nation or island that I missed, but Thor 2 made more in like 99% of the territories outside of China and South Korea. Its why Cap 2 is barely squeeking by Thor 2's 438M total. It says that Cap 2 caught fire in China and SK, but it also says its a little premature to call the franchise completely accepted overseas. What happens when Cap 3 faces serious competition China and SK next time around? Two countries is putting all the eggs in one or two baskets.

• Like 1

Is Cap 2's overseas total a LITTLE tainted, because 25-30% of it is from just China and South Korea, and it made LESS than Thor 2 EVERYWHERE ELSE on the overseas circuit?! There may be a little nation or island that I missed, but Thor 2 made more in like 99% of the territories outside of China and South Korea. Its why Cap 2 is barely squeeking by Thor 2's 438M total.It says that Cap 2 caught fire in China and SK, but it also says its a little premature to call the franchise completely accepted overseas. What happens when Cap 3 faces serious competition China and SK next time around? Two countries is putting all the eggs in one or two baskets.

I don't think it should be compared to Thor 2 but to the first Captain America.

The increases all around are impressive. Especially for something as overtly American. The first was a hard sell, this one is fairing much better.

• Like 2

Is Cap 2's overseas total a LITTLE tainted, because 25-30% of it is from just China and South Korea, and it made LESS than Thor 2 EVERYWHERE ELSE on the overseas circuit?! There may be a little nation or island that I missed, but Thor 2 made more in like 99% of the territories outside of China and South Korea. Its why Cap 2 is barely squeeking by Thor 2's 438M total.It says that Cap 2 caught fire in China and SK, but it also says its a little premature to call the franchise completely accepted overseas. What happens when Cap 3 faces serious competition China and SK next time around? Two countries is putting all the eggs in one or two baskets.

This isn't true. But even if it was, I don't think it would make a difference, or "taint" in any way. It just means it made its money in other markets.

Edited by Tower
  • Like 1

Can you please just go away

• Like 4

Is Cap 2's overseas total a LITTLE tainted, because 25-30% of it is from just China and South Korea, and it made LESS than Thor 2 EVERYWHERE ELSE on the overseas circuit?! There may be a little nation or island that I missed, but Thor 2 made more in like 99% of the territories outside of China and South Korea. Its why Cap 2 is barely squeeking by Thor 2's 438M total. It says that Cap 2 caught fire in China and SK, but it also says its a little premature to call the franchise completely accepted overseas. What happens when Cap 3 faces serious competition China and SK next time around? Two countries is putting all the eggs in one or two baskets.

LOL. So you finally found your way over here. Takes a bit long huh?
  • Like 2

This isn't true, but even if it was, I don't think it would make a difference, or "taint" in any way. It just means it made its money in other markets.

You are right Tower, that's not true. According to BOM, as of last Sunday TWS was already beating TDW's final tally in China, Ecuador, Hong Kong, India, Israel, Mexico, South Korea, Thailand, United Arabs Emirates, Uruguay and Viet Nam. More markets will be added to this list tomorrow and at the end of next weekend  :P

• Like 2

You are right Tower, that's not true. According to BOM, as of last Sunday TWS was already beating TDW's final tally in China, Ecuador, Hong Kong, India, Israel, Mexico, South Korea, Thailand, United Arabs Emirates, Uruguay and Viet Nam. More markets will be added to this list tomorrow and at the end of next weekend  :P

And the US/Canada.  :)

• Like 3

Best way to look at things is how Marvel views both CA and Thor. They have already announce CA3 and its releasing ahead of Thor 3 despite Thor getting precedence 1st couple of movies. Plus Thor 3 is going down with mediocre WOM for 2nd one. So they wont be in the same ballpark next time around.

• Like 1

Best way to look at things is how Marvel views both CA and Thor. They have already announce CA3 and its releasing ahead of Thor 3 despite Thor getting precedence 1st couple of movies. Plus Thor 3 is going down with mediocre WOM for 2nd one. So they wont be in the same ballpark next time around.

Uh...giving a superhero movie obscure early November slot, to be a sacrificial lamb to Hunger Games isn't giving something "precedence". That would be placing it a month before may against direct-to-video competition, and guest starring half of SHIELD :). It is CAP that got precedence. Its a bit presumptuous to predict 2.5 years from now, but if Cap 3 opens anywhere near BvS, it will do the same or A LOT LESS than Thor 3.You gotta remember, Cap 3 had laughable competition, is barely beating Thor 2's overseas total, and will ONLY make a slight gain over Dark World overall! This wasnt a super-duper-blockbuster performance! Edited by OdinSon2k14

I dont believe thats true, but even if it was, your "more markets will be added tomorrow" that you tucked in seems to indicate that you realize that its a small number of markets compared to the ones Thor 2 made more :).

Uh...giving a superhero movie obscure early November slot, to be a sacrificial lamb to Hunger Games isn't giving something "precedence". That would be placing it a month before may against direct-to-video competition, and guest starring half of SHIELD :). It is CAP that got precedence. Its a bit presumptuous to predict 2.5 years from now, but if Cap 3 opens anywhere near BvS, it will do the same or A LOT LESS than Thor 3.You gotta remember, Cap 3 had laughable competition, is barely beating Thor 2's overseas total, and will ONLY make a slight gain over Dark World overall! This wasnt a super-duper-blockbuster performance!

I don't concern myself with trolls but this isn't even remotely true.You're failing here big time.

I dont believe thats true, but even if it was, your "more markets will be added tomorrow" that you tucked in seems to indicate that you realize that its a small number of markets compared to the ones Thor 2 made more :).

Thor3 won't match CA3 even if they would realse B&S + STARWARS7+ JP4 + ASM3+ James bond + TH4 on the SAME weekend. CA2 was just too good XD

I don't concern myself with trolls but this isn't even remotely true.You're failing here big time.

I'm not trolling, and it IS TRUE. Bears...and I'm a NatGeo and nature nut and I saw the movie...but this isn't a film that should be anywhere near Cap 2. Heaven is for Real, God's not Dead, Transcendence...RIO 2 was a "B" animated title. Half the net knows Cap 2 had a month of a direct-to-video wasteland. Get this idea of Cap 2 as an unstopopable juggernaut out of your head. Transformers, Hunger Games 3, and Hobbit 3 (and Spidey 2) will come out and SHOW you what an ELITE BLOCKBUSTER does. Cap 2 will wind up with a "middle of the road" performance. A little better than Thor 2 domestically, and look at overseas! Its looking to barely beat Thor 2's 438M! Its made LESS money than Thor 2 in MOST of the markets on the overseas circuit! This off of unanimous critics support, unanimous word of mouth, and doormat competition! An elite blockbuster pulls in a billion easily of that competition! The minute Cap 2 went up against a movie with ANY kind of draw, it got HAMMERED!So come off your high horse, and realize that BvS will make over a billion, and Cap 3 will get MURDERED if they keep it head to head! This isn't Bears again. This is a showdown with an ELITE boxoffice draw! Something Cap 2 comfortably avoided! Edited by OdinSon2k14

"Plus Thor 3 is going down with mediocre WOM for 2nd one. So they wont be in the same ballpark next time around."This is the DUMBEST logic I've ever heard. There's a HUGE possibility that there will be good WOM for Thor going into Thor 3 DESPITE Thor 2. Know why? Thor's next appearance ISN'T Thor 3...its the BILLION DOLLAR franchise, The Avengers. A good Thor showing here-and a good WOM of the movie overall-wipes out any taste of Thor 2 from moviegoer's mouths.Its like saying Cap 2011 killed Cap 2, and Iron Man 2 killed IM3, SMH...one Avengers movie ERASED any memory of the previous solo outings. Plus, word is out that Marvel Studios is being silent on Thor 3's placement because they're really trying to get it right and hit one out the park this time. It has nothing to do with Marvel's perception of the franchise. Cap has yet to beat Thor 2's overseas total, and will only BARELY do so. 33% of Cap's OS total is from TWO markets, indicating a fluke, while Thor is WAY more widespread across the circuit. The hype frenzy, in the end, will only buy Cap 40-50 more than Thor 2...that IT...we're not talking an IM3 difference here. Cap should have done 2 billion of the unanimous critic support and brouhaha. This with Thor 2 facing the domestic draw of the YEAR and Cap having competition that anyone could beat. Feige is well aware of this, trust me :).

Edited by OdinSon2k14