Neo

Star Trek Beyond | 7.22.2016 | Not an Oscar winner.

10 hours ago, KGator said:

Given the fact that 75% of STID's domestic audience was over the age of 25 (and most were male), do you really think that many (85-95%) of the audience had NEVER seen what is considered the most popular movie in the franchise's history?  For a series where even the lesser regarded movies that no one but Trekkies could love would sell 8-12 million tickets . . . . you think that only 1-2 million of the 35 million STID tickets sold were by people who are familiar enough with the brand to have seen the entry that is widely regarded to be the best Star Trek movie ever made?  They just walked into the theater thinking "Star Trek, Star Wars, The Fault in our Stars . . . . same difference."

Seriously?  You make it sound like Star Trek Beyond and Finding Dory have a common audience.

Funnily enough I can count 8 of my friends that have seen STID and only 1 had seen WOK (not me) 

His logic is sound 

7 hours ago, Telemachos said:

I think with the right mindset, you can enjoy TMP. You've just got to be willing to accept a thin plot, and let the leisurely visuals and Jerry Goldsmith's score wash over you.

FF is really bad, though. Not much to recommend about it at all. 

Goldsmith's score for FF is very good at least. A Busy Man is a great piece of film music.

Edited by Daniel Dylan Davis

9 hours ago, Telemachos said:

I think with the right mindset, you can enjoy TMP. You've just got to be willing to accept a thin plot, and let the leisurely visuals and Jerry Goldsmith's score wash over you.

FF is really bad, though. Not much to recommend about it at all. 

The soundtrack is good.  Also...row, row, row your boat...

Ok fine, just the soundtrack.

5 hours ago, Jessie said:

Funnily enough I can count 8 of my friends that have seen STID and only 1 had seen WOK (not me) 

His logic is sound 

Anecdotely perhaps but not when applied to the demographic in question.  This is probably a much stronger argument overseas then at home.  I do not think I can name a male acquaintance over 35 who enjoys the scifi genre and has not seen Wrath of Khan.  It has to be the most replayed of all the Star Trek films on broadcast and cable television.  Especially in the late 80s thru early 2000s.

in comparison, I doubt any in that same group have ever watched Sex in the City yet you won't find me trying to extend that fact and draw conclusions regarding SITC popularity.  Star Trek is much more recognized among males than females and more so in the over 30 crowd than in younger generations.  And this is exactly how the moviegoing audience for this franchise skews.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Jonwo said:

I'm amazed how overbudget Star Trek TMP went, $46m in 1979 was probably the equivalent of $250m today, only Superman was higher. It's likely why Star Trek never got a high budget until the reboot. 

Hollywood Accounting.  The actual budget or the film was significantly lower (though still extremely high for its day0.  it included the development and preproduction coast of Star Trek Phase II, it included all the payouts to the actors to keep them available, when it was seemingly forever going from new tv series, no film, no tv series, no film, eat, eat.  

But again still extremely high, budget wise just for the film itself, but lets see starts shooting before a script is complete paying two fx houses (hell did we even call them houses back them), to get the vast amount of special visual fx done on time, all because they weren't going to change its release date.  Whats weird considering that the film results have never been stellar, many of th TOS films set record breaking opening weekends.  Trek was the original front loaded film franchise.

I will be interested in seeing if this 3rd film in the reboot TOS series, manages to score a larger adjusted for inflation US box office performance.  Loved that Star Trek and Star Trek Into Darkness both outperformed star Trek the Motion Picture and the Wrath of Khan when adjusting for inflation (though i do wish that Into Darkness would have had more actual admissions, which star Trek did manage, oh well).  I honestly don't expect that to happen this time, but heck I might get surprised.

Anyone have any idea how much of an Imax run this film will get?  Both earlier ones did extremely well in Imax, considering that there were just modest hits, and not big blockbusters.

19 hours ago, RandomJC said:

Confession: I've never been able to sit through all of the Motion Picture. And never even attempted Final Frontier.

I'm a bad fan.

The Motion Picture is one of the best ST films, its exactly what Star Trek is supposed to be about. Exploration, wonder, the unknown.

The complete opposite of what these Jar Jar Abrams films are.

• Like 1

star trek can be goofy and fun too. i don't know what happened with these reboots when everyone decided star wars was the only one allowed to be goofy and fun. some of the best trek, tv and movies, is nothing more than a fun time.

26 minutes ago, stuart360 said:

The Motion Picture is one of the best ST films, its exactly what Star Trek is supposed to be about. Exploration, wonder, the unknown.

I would disagree.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, stuart360 said:

Yes The Motion Picture does tell a story that has Exploration, wonder and the known, well it's Nomad basically.  But I really wouldn't insult the last two films, because Trek's 2 through 10 don't do any exploring.  Heck even the Motion Picture starfleet isn't seeking out new life and new civilizations, V'Ger is.

Into Darkness is the only film that has the crew of the Enterprise out on a mission seeking out new life and new civilizations.

The Motion Picture is 180 degree tonal shift away from what Star Trek presented itself as.  Now it's cold, sterile,  having machinery and man merge to possibly seek (or form) a higher form of existence, completely against how Star Trek previously had treated technology, where it was a tool, but never something to equal or replace man.  there are parts I do love and aspects of the film that absolutely work, but i don't think its overall a strong movie.

Of course, working with a story treatment from the cancelled Star Trek Phase II tv series, starting filming before the screenplay was completed, probably wasn't the best possible way of showcasing those themes.

It's like also stating Star Trek is best when its presenting a morality play about some issue of the human condition.  Yeah, that's a part of Star Trek.

But just because "Spock's Brain" tells a morality play about the dangers of letting society become dependent on technology, doesn't mean that its any damn good.  

Edited by Newbie

2 hours ago, stuart360 said:

I read this and then my mind decided to completely ignore the point of anything you've ever said and simply dismiss your messages. I guess that's just how my brain is conditioned. :rolleyes:

• Like 1