Neo

Star Trek Beyond | 7.22.2016 | Not an Oscar winner.

3 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

The important question is will we get a "Dedicated to" for Leonard Nimoy or Anton Yelchin at the end of this movie?

there are reports indicating that yes, we will get a "dedicated to".

5 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

The important question is will we get a "Dedicated to" for Leonard Nimoy or Anton Yelchin at the end of this movie?

According to everyone that's seen it, there are two separate dedications: "In Loving Memory of Leonard Nimoy" and "For Anton".

• Like 1

This is definitely one of those things where strong reviews and word-of-mouth, if it emerges, will be a strong deciding factor for many...considering pre-buzz was virtually non-existent.  This could translate into good legs...or not.  We'll see.

Edited by Macleod

12 hours ago, trifle said:

I'm really excited about this movie, and I've hardly been excited about any film so far this year.  Anecdotal, but I think it sounds great and I expect it to do well.

It sounds like Chris Hemsworth is coming back for Star Trek IV.   I'm thinking it has to be some alternate timeline since CH played Kirk's dad who died a hero in saving the crew of his ship in the first movie.  http://www.vulture.com/2016/07/chris-hemsworth-coming-back-for-star-trek-4.html 

I'm intrigued about how that will impact Kirk, however.

This ST is already itself an alternate timeline. It's been designated as the Kelvin timeline. If they keep using the Orig films as template then it makes some sense that their ST:4 would be a time travel story, staying within their own alternate timeline. Perhaps going back and plucking George Kirk off the USS Kelvin before Nero destroys it for whatever reason. 

• Like 3

I did not expect to be so excited for this film.  

I've seen at least one reviewer say that going into the movie as cold as possible is the best way to view it. Simon Pegg has also recommended that fans stop watching any commercials or trailers from this point.

That has me intrigued about what surprises are in the film.

And please no one in this thread spoil whatever it is they're talking about, thanks!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MyMovieCanBeatUpYourMovie said:

I've seen at least one reviewer say that going into the movie as cold as possible is the best way to view it. Simon Pegg has also recommended that fans stop watching any commercials or trailers from this point.

This is my SOP for 98% of all movies. The studios can't help themselves but continue to spoil the best moments via TV spots and/or commercials. 

Some reviewers have no idea when to stop typing or don't care. Then you have internet people either so excited to talk about the film they spoil things or they just don't care either.

Typically with franchise fare you know by the 2nd trailer if you're interested. Maybe it takes the third but I for sure don't go digging up TV spots. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Captain Craig said:

This is my SOP for 98% of all movies. The studios can't help themselves but continue to spoil the best moments via TV spots and/or commercials. 

Some reviewers have no idea when to stop typing or don't care. Then you have internet people either so excited to talk about the film they spoil things or they just don't care either.

Typically with franchise fare you know by the 2nd trailer if you're interested. Maybe it takes the third but I for sure don't go digging up TV spots. 

I'm totally with you there.  Trailers are not there to enhance your viewing experience.  They're there to get butts in the seats, and they don't care how they do it.

I've given up watching almost all trailers for films I care about.  I haven't watched any for Star Trek Beyond and I don't think I've watched a Marvel trailer for about a couple years now.  You lose out on the anticipation created by the trailers, but the actual viewing experience is so much more rewarding when everything you're seeing, including all the jokes and dialogue, is completely fresh.  (Also much harder to figure out where the story is going when you haven't had it laid out for you in three or four trailers.)

Edited by MyMovieCanBeatUpYourMovie
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, MyMovieCanBeatUpYourMovie said:

I did not expect to be so excited for this film.  

That has me intrigued about what surprises are in the film.

And please no one in this thread spoil whatever it is they're talking about, thanks!

Hear, hear!!

• Community Manager
42 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

My browser tells me the dissolve has not properly set up it's website and will steal my data. Try again. :)