grim22

Weekend Estimates: Thor TDW 86.1M, Ender 10.25, Free Birds 11.2, Grav 8.4, BG 11.3, Last Vegas 11.1

Even if accounting for the so called Avengers effect,IM3 OW was only 15-20% bigger than IM2 in terms of admissions, why were people expecting much bigger jump for Thor?

I guess people thought IM3's jump was limited as the franchise was already very big while Thor had much bigger potential to grow from its 1st film. Also the "thorki" factor was supposedly as good as Stark. It kind of worked in Asia/Russia but grew more normally elsewhere.

• Like 1

There's a difference between the Hobbit and SW.  The Hobbit failed to meet the lofty expectations of it's predecessor where as the prequels exceeded that of its predecessors (unadjusted of course).  SW already has the precedent set.  

How do you know that SW7 will meet expectations now though? And I thought the prequels were much more poorly received than the original trilogy.

Mediocre (and completely expected) as hell. 

Just so meh. 

This actually bodes really well for Catching Fire. Hmm...Definitely within the realm of possibility that it manages to sell 3x more tickets than Thor did on its OD. 

I would say CF2 OD is lock to beat Thor 2 OW while there is a chance(I would say tiny) that CF2 OW would beat Thor 2 domestic total.

How do you know that SW7 will meet expectations now though? And I thought the prequels were much more poorly received than the original trilogy.

The general public liked the prequels. Hate to break it to online folks. The box-office and more importantly home video sales tell that tale.

• Like 4

SW7 is a sequel to the original trilogy with the original cast making an appearance . That alone will create huge interest

I am not sure if hamill or fisher is a factor these days. Ford is a legend but again his best days are behind him. I am not certain teens would be that crazy to see these old people back on screen.

I still believe SW7 will be big but no dont think its  locked to gross 400M.

I am fan of Thor as a character, (sorry Tarzan)there is one good thing coming from this mediocrity under performing -  it ensure that there will not be any "Loki solo movie" as marketing was focused on him and it added nothing and while third Thor is mandatory thing (sorry again Tarzan) this *****would not happen. *happy dance*

I honestly think that focusing the marketing on Loki was a big mistake on Marvel's part.  It made the fans happy but those are people who were going to watch this repeatedly in the first place, regardless of marketing.  It did nothing much to increase general awareness.  Was Hemsworth so busy or had prior obligations that he couldn't do it?

• Like 1

Thor 2's opening day admissions were about 24% higher than Thor. Comparatively, Iron Man 3's were approximately 20% over Iron Man 2.

The latter is far more impressive. A sequel's OD being higher by 24% isn't really impressive when it's from 25m to 31m.

Edited by Noctis

Why are folks saying Thor is underperforming? Or are folks looking for reasons to meltdown?An $82M weekend is huge in November. It's increased over its predecessor, so there's obviously some Avengers effect (I'm beginning to hate that phrase). Despite what folks are saying, I don't expect Captain America to do much more than this. Thor isn't Twilight or Potter or even James Bond.

• Like 1

It doesn't have to meet whatever expectations you think it has.  It only has to have a kick ass trailer with the three heroes from the original and that will be enough to ensure a giant opening.  That is enough to put it over 400 imo.