Punishment

THG Catching Fire $25.25m Thursday Previews

I really don't care right now if this goes under the first. I got an excellent film. At the end of the day, lionsgate is still going to have a nice big payday coming to them.

You are such a liar. You so care.

This is The Hobbit all over again. Just because Lord of the Rings grossed a lot, people expected The Hobbit to gross 500M DOM.

Same goes for Hunger Games and Catching Fire...

That's maybe the weirdest comparison I've ever seen

Direct sequel one year later = prequel with few of the characters a decade later

The hell?

IF it does open to less than THG then i don't think it will be a major surprise to anyone but the crazies on here who were thinking $200M+ was possible.

The truth is the first film was lightning in a bottle type material, it had enormous amounts of hype and acted like a sequel in the fact that everyone rushed to see it on opening weekend, whether they had read the books or not.

Whilst the first film was well received, it in all honesty just wasn't anything special. A lot of interested third parties who saw the first film probably won't be coming back for a second time.

I'm in no way trying to bad mouth CF, i saw it last night and thought it was a much improved film but people are too quick on here to go into meltdown mode.

Once the international numbers come in no one is going to care if it makes $50M less domestically.

Edited by ainsleyb

Projections I have

midnight 25M

the rest of Friday 44.75

Saturday  46.84

Sunday  35.39

Total Opening Weekend = 151.98

it SHOULD have a legitimate shot at 400 million as HG will nicely counter / compete with The Hobbit.

It won't get close to 400M. Weaker legs. Much much weaker legs. I'd say 350-370M maximum... If it gets to 150

Converting them. Maybe even moving them. They're gonna panic. They're gonna panic big time.

HUGE PANIC over at Lionsgate. "Goddamn it! This movie is only going to make an absurd amount of money and not a redonkulous amount of money. What the fuck were we thinking?"

• Like 3