American Beauty

25 members have voted

1. 1. American Beauty

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

I can't believe there's only been one reply so far. I forgot how good this movie is. It raises so many questions and thoughts. It made me look at life from a new perspective. One of the best movies ever made IMO. A+

• Like 1

Written about an hour after I saw it for the first time in the fall of 1999:I guess I am like many of the viewers in here when I say that I am having trouble putting into words how I feel about this film, because to be quite honest, no amount of praise can really make anyone understand what this movie will do to you. You can read all the glowing reviews and believe all the hype about this small, wonderfully moving movie that is making people fall in love with film all over again, but there is truly nothing that you can say or hear that will justify what this movie is all about. I really believe that this is one film that has more to say than almost any film that I can think of and it has more to give than you can possibly imagine. When I walked out of the theater I was smiling for hours and when I went to work I told all of my cronies that this is a film that will change your life. Not only is this the best film of the year, but this could really be the best movie ever made. And to consider a film to be on that level is tough for me because I believe the two best films ever made are ( in order ) Jaws and JFK. But I will seriously have to reconsider that order now that I have seen American Beauty. And now here lies the problem, how do I put into words the feelings that I feel after seeing this film? Look closer..... those are interesting words. To be quite honest I'm not sure exactly what they mean here, but I have my own theories. But if you think about life and the people that are in yours and the situations that you are in every day, and if you had to look a little closer at those, then you may realize that nothing is as it seems. And perhaps that is one of the central issues here. Are the strong and confident really as robust as they appear? Are the successful and popular really as happy as they look? Is anyone really as they seem, not just in this movie but in real life. Because I think Kevin Spacey's portrayal of Lester Burnham is really what life should be all about. I think that of everyone in the film, he goes on the greatest journey into self awareness. He is the one that not only does the most growing but also loses and gains the most by the end of the film. But the one thing that he is at the end, is undeniably happy, there is no taking that away from him. But what made him wake up and learn to be happy? Perhaps for many people the answer will vary, but to me, I think he let go. That's all. He let go of all the crap that everyone worries about. And he let go because he realized how futile it is to worry. Think about it, if you worry about losing your job or if your spouse is cheating on you, does it help? Does it do any good for you? No, of course not. The situation will play itself out no matter how much you worry. So why do it? Spacey learns how to relax and not sweat the little things. He goes a little too far with it and ultimately it costs him, but along the way he learned how to live. He learns that life is a gift and one that should be taken advantage of while you're here. Perhaps this review sounds like mumbo-jumbo to those that haven't seen the film, but I can guarantee that the people that have seen this know exactly what I'm getting at. American Beauty has to be seen to be appreciated.As little faith as I have in the academy when it comes to Oscar time, you can't ignore this film. I am going to have to concur with an earlier reviewer that said that this should be nominated for Best Actor, Best Actress, Best Director, Supporting Actor, Supporting Actress, Best Script, Editing and Cinematography. This film is so rich with amazing performances and it is not just from Spacey. But it has to be said here and now; if Kevin Spacey does not win Best Actor this year then the academy is delirious with a bad acid trip. Spacey's interpretation of Lester Burnham is so astute, so captivating, so humorous and so hauntingly real that no matter what age, sex or colour you are, you will see a bit of him in you. Lester Burnham is a microcosm of what we feel and eventually want to be. American Beauty is the best film to come out this year and without a doubt in the top ten films for all time. See this film, please see it. No matter what you read about this film, nothing can ruin it for you because there is so much in the film that someone could not tell you enough. It is a rare film that will get inside you and not leave for quite some time. It has been three days since I've seen this film and it still makes me smile. There is nothing more I can say about this movie except, go see it, you'll be glad you did. 10/10

• Like 3

Oh, I thought I reviewed this here. Solid debut by Mendes. Everything worked with this movie. Acting, score, script, cinematography, etc etc. Definitely one of the best movies ever made.A/A+Just under Magnolia for 1999.

Finally sat down to watch this and man, it is magnificent. I really really liked it. At this point it has become redundant to praise American Beauty, but I'll just say its an absolutely fascinating, satirically funny and heartbreaking film with amazing performances from Kevin Spacey, Chris Cooper and Annette Bening and a fucking amazing score by Thomas Newman, and it all comes together beautifully under the direction of Sam Mendes. 

5/5

btw I dont know whats the big deal with the plastic bag scene, I cant see that ruining the movie for anyone

A really good film. It was surprisingly funny, but had heart, tragedy, pain, and creepiness as well. I really think that Lester and his wife, whose name escapes me at the moment, represent a lot of suburban families in this country in how they keep up this perfect life, but are really empty inside. If the film was just about those two, it would easily have been an A. Sadly, they had to include the kids/teenage storyline, which wasn't bad, but felt a little forced and somewhat ridiculous (like the bag scene).Grade: B+