kayumanggi

Weekend Actuals (12.13 - 12.15) 73.7 M TH: TDOS

ROTK opening  Wed-Thu #1 Scotiabank Tor, #2 CBS Montreal then E-walk in NYC, Edmonton(2 complexes) & Calgary in top 10, for the Weekend it was E-walk then Scotiabank Tor

They love them some Tolkien in Canada. :lol:

Whoa calgary chinook was the #1 theater in North America? That's awesome. Been to that theater many times.And according to their website they have 22 show times for the hobbit. Impressive for a Monday. LotR really is on another level of popularity here in Canada. No idea why that is...

Edited by Lumos

Just watched Pacific Rim for the first time via Netflix.

Was actually pretty entertaining. I mean, the story is kinda thin, Ron Perlman's character has no real reason to exist at all, the two main characters don't leave much impression (Stringer Bell, Max the Man Martini, and the Day/Gorman combo owned the movie), and the pacing in the front half is kinda dodgy, but still, it's a fun 2+ hours.

• Like 3

Just watched Pacific Rim for the first time via Netflix.Was actually pretty entertaining. I mean, the story is kinda thin, Ron Perlman's character has no real reason to exist at all, the two main characters don't leave much impression (Stringer Bell, Max the Man Martini, and the Day/Gorman combo owned the movie), and the pacing in the front half is kinda dodgy, but still, it's a fun 2+ hours.

Is Perlman absolutely essential to the plot? No, but he is essential in what I consider some of the best world building I've seen in a movie in a long time. I wish more movies did stuff like that.
  • Like 5

Eh the world building wasn't all that impressive, especially when it raises the issue of pregnant Kaijus (which raises huge implications about them since we were told they don't reproduce, they are cloned) and then disposes of the issue in a cheap not-so-dead monster gag and forgets all about it ever happening.

I really need to rewatch Bourne Supremacy; I watched it once with a big headache and didn't like that much, but I love Ultimatum and Identity...

A lot of people don't like it because of the extreme shaky cam. I didn't even notice until someone brought it up. Then I found myself noticing only that, lol. I love that movie though. But I'm getting ready to watch Ultimatum.

Eh the world building wasn't all that impressive, especially when it raises the issue of pregnant Kaijus (which raises huge implications about them since we were told they don't reproduce, they are cloned) and then disposes of the issue in a cheap not-so-dead monster gag and forgets all about it ever happening.

I think he was referring more to the idea of the kaiju black market being a semi-realistic response to what would happen if Kaiju actually attacked, and most similar movies (be it superhero or alien invasion) ignore stuff like that

You really can spend a lot of time nitpicking the flaws of PR, and I did notice a few of them in the theater, but Del Toro wears his heart on his sleeve so proudly and gloriously that they didn't bother me. I admit that the film has cooled a bit from my seeing it, but I still want more movies like this to be made.

• Like 1

A lot of people don't like it because of the extreme shaky cam. I didn't even notice until someone brought it up. Then I found myself noticing only that, lol. I love that movie though. But I'm getting ready to watch Ultimatum.

I really like Supremacy, but I find it to be the worst of the Damon Bourne movies. Ultimatum is by far my favorite.

Edited by Empire
  • Like 1

ROTK opening  Wed-Thu #1 Scotiabank Tor, #2 CBS Montreal then E-walk in NYC, Edmonton(2 complexes) & Calgary in top 10, for the Weekend it was E-walk then Scotiabank Tor

I've always wondered, are these theater breakdowns only available to insiders?  I think you mentioned a few years ago that Variety publishes them, but I never found the top 10 theater figures anywhere online outside of your posts.  Is there any public access to that data?  I'd love to archive it