fmpro

Christmas Day numbers | Bilbo leads

With all the competition it seems Ronin was good counter programming for people who wanted to see something else but drama and comedy for the holidays.  I like that 7 Million number.  But they just went way overboard with the budget, should of been more 70-100 tops. 

• Like 2

The numbers for almost all movies will drop through the coming days as Christmas Day is always the high water mark for the week for the openers. Some of the holdovers may hit a peak for the week on Saturday but the numbers won't be much different than yesterday's.

I never got the fuss about the violence in Drive. There are 2 or 3 short bursts of brutality but you'd think it was a gore-fest to hear some talk about it.

IIRC, none of the advertising even hinted at those scenes of intense violence.

At my theater, there were a number of people who wanted their money back during that film's run.

BTW, has a film with a "C" cinemascore ever done really well and had good WOM?  I know it's not the most accurate tool, but that's still a really low score.

On the 26th the openers obviously drop but the holdovers increase and sometimes significantly probably because theres more showtimes.

Looking at last year and 2008 when Christmas Day fell mid-week (Tue and Thu, respectively), the kid-friendly films experienced some increases after Christmas while every other holdover dropped or stayed roughly the same. This bodes well for Frozen which might jump up to #3 today, possibly #2 depending on how much Wolf drops. The openers will all likely see drops of 20%-25% or more today with only modest recoveries by Saturday.

On the 26th the openers obviously drop but the holdovers increase and sometimes significantly probably because theres more showtimes.

It's going to be interesting to see which movie wins the weekend. DOS has an advantage right now but I expect very good increase for Frozen today which would put them neck and neck going into the weekend. 

It's going to be interesting to see which movie wins the weekend. DOS has an advantage right now but I expect very good increase for Frozen today which would put them neck and neck going into the weekend.

I think Smaug will win by a million or two. But Frozen will do huge buissness too