45 members have voted

1. 1. The Prestige

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

I really enjoyed this movie. I thought everyone was good to very good in it. Didn't think I would enjoy as much as I did when i went to see it in the theater. I liked how they used actual historical figures in it as well to kind of tie it to the "real world"

A-

Man, I haven't watched this in a long time. I quite like the audacity of the sci-fi/fantasy final act, as divisive as it was. Apparently Tesla really did destroy a number of his inventions that never saw the light of day...... though whether one of them was a cloning device remains to be seen.

Beautiful film, but (from my POV) it shares a problem with most of Nolan's others: A kind of coldness or distance to the characters so you can't really sympathise. Plus, the Tesla solution was 1.) stupid and 2.) should have been a surprise turn (like the twin solution) but was hinted at much too obviously.

Edited by IndustriousAngel
  • Like 2

B+It's a film that gets better on repeat viewings. The first time I saw it, I had some issues with pacing and structure. The second time, you could see what Nolan was setting up (very carefully). It's also unusual (for a big studio film) to have 2 leads that are essentially unlikeable characters.

• Like 1

Just finished it for the first time, wow, Nolan you bastard. This is why I love you.

This film is just really well made so many layers to it. Its like 4 movies at once all coming together.

And Wally Pfister Is one of my favorites, too good.

A-

Edited by Jay Hollywood
  • Like 1

And Wally Pfister is my favorite DP, too good.

A- 

Really interested to see how he does in the director's chair with Transcendence starring some Nolan alums (Morgan Freeman, Cillian Murphy, Rebecca Hall and Josh Stewart -- Bane's right-hand man in TDKR).

• Like 1