Neo

War For The Planet Of The Apes | July 14, 2017 | First Trailer on Page 18

17 minutes ago, DealWithIt said:

Anyone getting hung up on how realistic the Apes universe is must fucking hate the likes of Spidey. 

"A spider bite isn't going to suddenly allow you to shoot spider webs out of your wrists, climb buildings or give you the ability to sense things before they happen! This is bullshit! 0/5 stars!" 

My only hang up with the Apes universe is Dawn was how boring it was, outside of Koba. Surprisingly, the human universe in Dawn was even more stale. Thinking War's gonna liven it up a bit.

25 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

$25 is too much when two of the movies are freely available, imo.

Gonna go tomorrow night for $4 since I have T-Mobile

That's the thing, movies such as these are better watch in Cinemas then on laptops or home video, unless you have a kick ass home theater.

I'm kinda sad (and disappointed) that the buzz seems to be pretty low around here (and everywhere, it seems), I mean, this is the fucking conclusion to the most acclaimed franchise of the decade (and one of the highest overall)!!!! Why people aren't thrilled for this like I am?! I really hope it will be even more backloaded than the previous movies, I really want to see it surpassing the previous one both DOM and OS. 

• Like 4

I guess one thing might be we're kind of jaded by franchise movies labeling themselves as "the conclusion".

Though all of the Apes movies have had to earn their buzz to a certain point. It just doesn't lend itself very well to rabid fanboyism like superhero movies do.

Edited by tribefan695

5 minutes ago, Mockingjay Raphael said:

Dawn was perfect on every single level, not every blockbuster needs to be colorful or happy, the grey/depressive aspect is the strongest aspect of this franchise. 

You misunderstand me... Plenty of effectively solemn flicks are not colorful/happy but have flourishes of colorful moments that actually give the moments of tragedy/depravity more weight. That's all. That's all I meant. And, of course, just my opinion.

The technical wizardry of Weta, the awesome effort from Serkis and Reeves truly outstanding framing make these worth watching in a theater. I'll be there tomorrow night at 7PM.

Edited by JohnnyGossamer

3 minutes ago, Jayhawk said:

Dawn/War are easily 2 of the best blockbusters of the decade. I enjoy Rise, but it just isn't as Ape-focused, which are the most enjoyable parts. I also find it a bit uneven the first hour or so. The ending setpiece is great though.

I apologize for forgetting, but you've seen War already? Did you think it was on par or superior to Dawn?

Edited by superduperm

8 minutes ago, Mockingjay Raphael said:

I'm kinda sad (and disappointed) that the buzz seems to be pretty low around here (and everywhere, it seems), I mean, this is the fucking conclusion to the most acclaimed franchise of the decade (and one of the highest overall)!!!! Why people aren't thrilled for this like I am?! I really hope it will be even more backloaded than the previous movies, I really want to see it surpassing the previous one both DOM and OS. 

Could just be that it skews to much older audience than a typical franchise movie. Maybe walk-ups will be a lot better than expected. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Could just be that it skews to much older audience than a typical franchise movie. Maybe walk-ups will be a lot better than expected. 

Definitely skews older. We saw that with Dawn here.

And, Jayhawk, I know I'm in the minority with that opinion. Again, Dawn, especially the humans that befriended Caesar and any scene they were in, bored the hell out of me for the most part. I did absolutely love any/all interactions with Koba/Caesar though. That was incredible stuff. And, again, the wizardry of Weta, Serkis and Reeves get me in the theater opening night. But, it's more out of respect for their craftsmanship than enjoyment/reverence of the product.

When I gripe about Dawn or War, it's different than when I gripe about just about any other summer blockbuster. Trust me, I'm glad they exist and very, very glad something like this out there to engage the masses. It's far more compelling than 95% of blockbuster movies.

Edited by JohnnyGossamer
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

You misunderstand me... Plenty of effectively solemn flicks are not colorful/happy but have flourishes of colorful moments that actually give the moments of tragedy/depravity more weight. That's all. That's all I meant. And, of course, just my opinion.

The technical wizardry of Weta, the awesome effort from Serkis and Reeves truly outstanding framing make these worth watching in a theater. I'll be there tomorrow night at 7PM.

I understand your point, but I have to disagree with it. Dawn is not the kind of movie that would benefit from such moments, the atmosphere of the film required the dull form in which it was presented, introducing colorful moments would serve only to break the tone of the narrative. Although the film has beautiful and reflective moments that give a "rest" to the narrative, like that scene where they celebrate the return of electric light, one of the most beautiful and poetic moments I have ever seen in a blockbuster.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mockingjay Raphael said:

I understand your point, but I have to disagree with it. Dawn is not the kind of movie that would benefit from such moments, the atmosphere of the film required the dull form in which it was presented, introducing colorful moments would serve only to break the tone of the narrative. Although the film has beautiful and reflective moments that give a "rest" to the narrative, like that scene where they celebrate the return of electric light, one of the most beautiful and poetic moments I have ever seen in a blockbuster.

Yeah. Agree to disagree. I was about to relay how flat and empty that scene felt to me.

37 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Yeah, I know quite a few of dudes who are excited to see this over the weekend, and they're not the kind of people you would expect to be purchasing their tickets ASAP for the Thursday night showing. I remember the previous two movies had fairly quiet buzz even after reviews came out and then surpassed expectations when they opened, so it wouldn't surprise to see a threepeat here.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

Is there anything to Woody Harrelson's character in this or is he like Quaritch in Avatar and just like "lets wipe out this civilization so I can get back to base in time for my steak dinner" ?

He's fleshed out a bit. The plot doesn't go exactly as you'd think.

• Like 2

I think this will be the best blockbuster of the summer and I'm very excited, but I'm not rushing out to see it tomorrow, buying presales, or gathering a ton of friends to plan a big event around it. It's just not that kind of movie. But I'm sure either tomorrow night or sometime Saturday I'll be there 100 percent with several people. It's gonna be fine. Kinda the general sentiment I'm getting round here too.

• Like 1