CJohn

Sing | Dec. 21, 2016 | Illumination | Beats Moana domestic. The McConaissance Continues

1 minute ago, Hiccup23 said:

I think 200M+ is locked for this. January is empty and this will be the only true family film out there. 

oh yeah, no doubt in that. Movies from those years that had Christmas falling on a Sunday never had a multi lower than 3.2 to their 6-day numbers and it could go up to 4 at times.

applying that to Sing's projected $70m 6-day it could land anywhere near $225m~$280m. it has contradicting two factors going on for forecasting the multi. when the movies open bigger, the multiplier gets smaller, yet, family releases tend to have a greater staying power, so.. for now I'll give it a 3.6/$250m. 

• Like 1

Dropping a big MEH off for this here. 

Illumination auditioned to be Pixar and appeal to adults, but hit flat notes the whole time. Not bad, but just very "who cares?" The "big, fun, entertaining" final act some of the critics actually had me hyped for was...I guess the best part, but I'm not sure what they watched to be so enthusiastic? The A.D.D. zany comedy of SLOP>>>>

Just stick with Looney Tunes Illumination, you're kind of good at it. 

I mean it's not like the Disney/Pixar-movies, this year......are the only good animated  films/has good reception this year. It's not only them.

The big Non-Disney/Pixar ones like KFP3, Trolls, Pets & Sing had receptions between 70-90% on RT. 

Oh, and before anyone says anything......you cannot tell me that Non-Disney ones, this year won't deserve the love & praise from audiences like the Disney ones. No offense to Disney-Fans.....it's just that the ones not from Disney......shouldn't be lost in shuffles.

• Like 2

I mean you would think SLOP and Sing got 10% on RT. Illumination is doing well because the general audience are craving non Disney stuff. More options and variety for everyone is good. Competition is good. It also ensures that Disney won't get too comfortable. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Hades said:

Competition is good. It also ensures that Disney won't get too comfortable. 

Not when they make terrible movies. In fact, it encourages Disney to make lazier movies.

Edited by Goffe
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Hades said:

Not sure why some here are so butthurt or threatened by Illumination's success. They are here to stay , get used to it. No Disney monopoly, sorry.

1 hour ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

I mean it's not like the Disney/Pixar-movies, this year......are the only good animated  films/has good reception this year. It's not only them.

The big Non-Disney/Pixar ones like KFP3, Trolls, Pets & Sing had receptions between 70-90% on RT. 

Oh, and before anyone says anything......you cannot tell me that Non-Disney ones, this year won't deserve the love & praise from audiences like the Disney ones. No offense to Disney-Fans.....it's just that the ones not from Disney......shouldn't be lost in shuffles.

oh honestly I don't mind the idea of Disney monopoly dissolving at all, if there has been one anyway. WDAS for the last decade was a has-been 2nd-rate studio till they barely made a come back 6 years ago and Frozen is their only film that was the #1 animation of the release year (Tangled was #5, WIR was #4, BH6 was #2 and Zootopia and Moana #3 and #5, respectively) and Pixar, even in its heyday it was pretty neck and neck between them and Dreamworks, at least box office wise.

I appreciate indie animated studios like Laika or Aardman and was thrilled for the LEGO movie's huge success. But Illumination, it just feels they're over-rewarded for their actual efforts at filmmaking. Every single film since DM2 was a $300M hit. so, the sentiment is more like: "how do they do it?!" Like, Disney tried real hard to make a come back, investing a lot of money and time for their projects, developing all the new expensive techs and stuff (which gave Tangled an insane $260M price tag), and now they are back on the top of their games with producing two of their best-reviewed movies, and yet they both lost at the DOM box office to Illumination's seemingly safe cashgrabs with half the production budget and creativity. I mean, Atlantis losing to Shrek or Bolt losing to Kung Fu Panda or even Tangled losing to How to Train Your Dragon were all perfectly okay but Zootopia losing to Pets and Moana losing to Sing back-to-back, it kinda felt like a slap on the face.

Having said that, I am aware that all this whining looks elitist and some (if not many) people here would think those movies from Disney and Illumination are not that different in terms of quality as Disney fans try to make out to be, and some others would feel the same way about Kubo not doing better than Zootopia or Moana. So just take it as an unreasonable "proud-fan meltdown" moment ;) it's not like "we need to conquer and dominate but they are on our way! non-Disney movies should not be beloved", more like "we've absolutely done our best and why we still came in second when they didn't seem to be trying THAT hard?" 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

KFP3 doesn't belong in that group.  It's not Penguins of Madagascar.  Illumination's middle of the road offerings are on the level of Angry Birds, Trolls and Stork - all of which make money in the low to mid hundreds. That Illumination makes more than these is due far more to the non stop expensive marketing assault ($500m+ over a year for Minions) where the money and seemingly much of the energy and creativity goes instead of toward making the movie. 

Illuminationcertainly aren't bottom of the barrel ala Norm of The North or Ratchet & Clank  but the difference in quality between them is nearly the same as the distance in quality between the majority of Illumination and Ghibli, Pixar, WDAS, Laika, Aardman, Cartoon Salon, and Dreamworks at it's peak.

There have been great non Disney animation this year  -  Kubo, The Little Prince, April & The Extraordinary World  but these movies aren't finding a big audience or making money in the U.S. which is a damn shame.  The quality and creativity of those movies is what will hopefully keep WDAS on their toes. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Goffe said:

Not when they make terrible movies. In fact, it encourages Disney to make lazier movies.

Terrible movies according to whom? You? If the kids love them and that's who they are marketing them to then aren't they doing their job?

My niece is absolutely adored secret life of pets. I didn't like it that much and my brother liked it I loved it more than I did. But the kids loved it which means we bought it for them on Blu-ray for Christmas and they saw it twice at the theaters. So illumination is doing something right.

• Like 4