lilmac

What things happen in movies that are unrealistic?

I'll start:

After an argument the person says "Wait, let me explain" then the other storms out before he/she is able to explain the situation.

In real life I would immediately try to clarify the issue.  There wouldn't be a moment of silence after "let me explain".  I would follow her if she stormed off.   :P

What are other cliches and why is it unrealistic?  :D

The whole starting a car with those two circuits under the steering wheel.

Breaking a glass without hurting yourself.

Knocking out a badguy with just a blow ( every action movie).

Where are the ugly people on screen ?

Good guys always win.

According to the haters, the whole TDKR plot and details.

• Like 1

People consistently surviving relatively unscathed falls that would severely mess them up

Peter Jackson is one of the biggest offender here.

Just saw King Kong and like in the Hobbti, laws of physics don't apply with his characters they are made of clay and bounce onto everything without ever getting hurt.

I call it " bubble gum physics".

• Like 2

The whole starting a car with those two circuits under the steering wheel.

Breaking a glass without hurting yourself.

Knocking out a badguy with just a blow ( every action movie).

Where are the ugly people on screen ?

Good guys always win.

According to the haters, the whole TDKR plot and details.

Perfect post.  This is exactly what I'm talking about.  LOL.  Good ones!

People consistently surviving relatively unscathed falls that would severely mess them up

Nice.

[*]I would add that jumping through glass windows is unrealistic. Most glass windows are too strong.  You'll just bump into it, especially if its reinforced by iron/wooden cross frames.  

[*]Also, you can't just walk away from an explosion.  The shock-wave would blow you down and the shrapnel can kill you. Also, many explosions don't have perfectly formed fireballs.  A quick flash and lots of smoke.

Nobody ever takes a shit unless it's funny.

I was literally about to post this lolEvery disposable bad guy in an action movie are terrible shots.Any space film with sound, thanks for pointing that out Gravity. People can sprint for up to 5 minutes in most action chase scenes.People seem to be able to hold their breath underwater for a long time.My favourite, shooting a gas tank to create an explosion. This just wouldn't happen. Surprisingly Terminator Salvation is one of very few films that realise this. Edited by Jessie
  • Like 2

Peter Jackson is one of the biggest offender here.

Just saw King Kong and like in the Hobbti, laws of physics don't apply with his characters they are made of clay and bounce onto everything without ever getting hurt.

I call it " bubble gum physics".

I don't know, Steven Spielberg was a bit out there with the flyin fridge in Indy 4.

U know what I hate, how the homes of the characters are so emmaculate and well kept.

Or, when watching space movies, the space ship is flipping upside down, people fyling and falling everywhere, and then,10 minutes later, everything seems to be fine (chairs didn't move, labs were untouched, etc)

• Like 1

Gotta give Cameron a little hat-tip for actually providing a sparking cable to ignite the wrecked truck in T2. ;)

The Last Action Hero poked fun at that. When Arnold was in our world, he tells the kid "hey, want another explosion" and fires at the back of the speeding vehicle, and when nothing happened, the kid had to tell him "it's not going to work, this is the real world now!"