grey ghost

Ghost in the Shell | March 31, 2017 | Scarlett Johansson | Paramount | New Trailer on page 43!!!

52 minutes ago, Manchester by the Tree said:

In principle a Scarlett Johansson action film should do well, I think she has some real draw power as an action hero. But, the advertising has done such a poor job of making clear what the film is about, I suspect it will put a lot of the general audience off going.

It did look like a movie marketing was not sure how to sell at all, Lucy you could sell it with a simple sentence or 2, very simple well known and proven high concept, this seem to have been much harder.

I'm not expecting it to move much any which way. It's probably going to end up in the 60s with a 5.5 average or something like that which is right in line with what most of us predicted. It's not getting glowing reviews across the board but it's not getting trashed either. 

Im far more interested to see how its box office is going to do. 

36 minutes ago, antovolk said:

bear in mind most of the reviews online atm are from UK critics.

I still remember how much OS and UK critics loved SPECTRE but then the US absolutely trashed the fuck out of that film.

Yeah, the exact same happened to Fantastic Beasts.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Macleod said:

First 9 MINUTES of a film?  Is that a new record for free pre-release?  The movie's only an hour, 40+, right?  They must be desperate for good will...but the reviews have been surprisingly positive.  I don't think they needed to do this. 

Actually it maybe more of a Japanese thing. Its common for their movies to release up to the first 10 minutes on social media a week/month before the release.

15 hours ago, RedX said:

It's certainly influential but it's an obscure property for the general audience. I was surprised to even hear from the likes of people at Collider, that they haven't seen the original film 

Remember that when the original animation was released, GitS was a cult film rather than a huge box office hit. It is nowhere near as popular as other animes such as Pokemon, Dragon Ball, or One Piece.

Look at my post below. The original animation did not reach the top 10 box office 1995 in Japan although it's a Japanese animation.

Edited by KevinPr
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Marcus Cato said:

It's no comparison between a japanese anime film and one of Disney's biggest animated juggernauts. Look at the box office numbers. Ghost in the Shell (1995) made 2.3 million dollars worldwide and Beauty and the Beast (1991) made 425 million. So there's just no comparison.

As far as I know, we had the first 3 Pokemon movies and the Hayao Miyazaki/Studio Ghibli films that are considered huge, popular anime films in the US. GitS is nowhere near as popular as them. So, yeah no comparison!

16 hours ago, eXtacy said:

Yeah but they all knew about it. Anyone who loves sci-fiction should watch the original.

Also we would not have the Matrix without it.

Yeah but the Matrix has introduced cyberpunk to the public because The Matrix was hugely more popular than the original animation of GitS.

33 minutes ago, KevinPr said:

Yeah but the Matrix has introduced cyberpunk to the public because The Matrix was hugely more popular than the original animation of GitS.

Inspiring the Matrix doesn't make you...The Matrix.  I mean, being the sequel to the Matrix isn't necessarily going to do that either.  Well, ok, being the second sequel to The Matrix doesn't at least.

3 minutes ago, kowhite said:

Inspiring the Matrix doesn't make you...The Matrix.  I mean, being the sequel to the Matrix isn't necessarily going to do that either.  Well, ok, being the second sequel to The Matrix doesn't at least.

The same goes to the 2002 sequel of the original GitS. The sequel is less better than the original.

I start to wonder whether Blade Runner 2049 would have this kind of case.

1 minute ago, KevinPr said:

The same goes to the 2002 sequel of the original GitS. The sequel is less better than the original.

I start to wonder whether Blade Runner 2049 would have this kind of case.

Blade Runner is just in another space.  It might not deliver the box office, but honestly if it's anything like it should be...

Its box office prospects are suspect.  A proper Blade Runner movie just really ain't mainstream.  So I don't care if it happens.  That movie just needs renewed H Ford nostalgia plus people who loved La La Land.  It's not going to be a blockbuster just for existing.  Let's be real...it's niche.