grey ghost

Ghost in the Shell | March 31, 2017 | Scarlett Johansson | Paramount | New Trailer on page 43!!!

It's not the first film to get from mildly positive reviews  to raves from critics outside of America and then to get relatively destroyed by the American critics. It won't be the last either.

Fantastic Beasts comes to mind.

It does show how culturally different this globalized world still is. I'd be interested in someone dividing the RT critics in regions so we can better see what movies do critically better or worse depending on where the critics are from. Just out of curiosity.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

It's not the first film to get from mildly positive reviews  to raves from critics outside of America and then to get relatively destroyed by the American critics. It won't be the last either.

Fantastic Beasts comes to mind.

It does show how culturally different this globalized world still is. I'd be interested in someone dividing the RT critics in regions so we can better see what movies do critically better or worse depending on where the critics are from. Just out of curiosity.

Fantastic Beasts is actually certified fresh at the moment so I don't even think that's a fair comparison. It's not like US critics completely trashed that film. It got okay to decent reviews from them hence its ability to get a fresh rating. GITS is pretty much getting trashed by US critics at this point. 

But i do find it interesting how certain areas view movies/films. That's why I like reading reviews lol 

Edited by Nova
  • Like 1

You know at this point, Ghost In The Shell was always gonna get a rotten score no matter how great the movie turns out to be because of this whole "Whitewashing-evil-racist-hollywood" mentality going on in America.

They did the same with Iron Fist even though the main character in the comic was a white guy.

And please, the whole Death Note thing is a joke. Oh Light (Turner) Yagami is a blone white man, BLASPHEMY. But L is black so its progressive. Hipocresy from SJW at it's finest.

Seriously America, get a fucking grip.

• Like 3

Just now, Boxx93 said:

You know at this point, Ghost In The Shell was always gonna get a rotten score no matter how great the movie turns out to be because of this whole "Whitewashing-evil-racist-hollywood" mentality going on in America.

They did the same with Iron Fist even though the main character in the comic was a white guy.

And please, the whole Death Note thing is a joke. Oh Light (Turner) Yagami is a blone white man, BLASPHEMY. But L is black so its progressive. Hipocresy from SJW at it's finest.

Seriously America, get a fucking grip.

Its getting a rotten score because its simply lacking in the areas that critics look out for. It has nothing to do with whitewashing. Some of you on here make it sound like this film was getting raved over seas and then the American critics came and ruined it or something. It was getting 3/5 from most international critics.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Boxx93 said:

Doctor Strange had just as intense heat over its whitewashing, and that ended up with 90% on RT.

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, Boxx93 said:

I don't know, despite being a very classic and average entry, Doctor Strange still got good reviews despite the whole "Whitewashing-evil-racist-hollywood", not sure it is that automatic.

1 hour ago, Nova said:

Fantastic Beasts is actually certified fresh at the moment so I don't even think that's a fair comparison. It's not like US critics completely trashed that film. It got okay to decent reviews from them hence its ability to get a fresh rating. GITS is pretty much getting trashed by US critics at this point. 

But i do find it interesting how certain areas view movies/films. That's why I like reading reviews lol 

That divide for Beasts was still more extreme than this one in my humble opinion. It was getting raves left and right before the American critics came in, it's very interesting to see.

Id really be interested to see a breakdown of all that, maybe even within different areas in the States itself.

Now, now, let's not use the whitewashing as some get-out clause for these middling reviews. Sanders is a journeyman director, and it sounds like all this had going for it was the production design. Which is why that's basically all the trailer showed off.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Barnack said:

I don't know, despite being a very classic and average entry, Doctor Strange still got good reviews despite the whole "Whitewashing-evil-racist-hollywood", not sure it is that automatic.

I think being in a good movie helps. Probably why Tilda Swinton was let off the hook while Emma Stone and Rooney Mara (who were in critical and financial flops) were not.