Shawn Robbins

Weekend numbers Feb 14-16

Frozen vs. DM2 is interesting. It's likely that no matter how Frozen ends up, DM2 is going to be a more profitable film. Costing half as much will do that and it's likely to have better initial video sales. So, just movie to movie, DM2 is a slightly bigger winner. (Frozen has the bragging rights, since in absolute dollars it'll be ahead DOM, WW, and OS.)

Where Disney tends to win is the long game (utilizing the vault and bringing things back periodically for more video sales) and tie-ins. Two hugely popular new princesses for that line, additional reasons for people to go to the theme parks, and whatever else they can get people to buy will have Frozen making money many times over.

Basically, when it comes to merchandising, nobody can touch Disney.

(Hell, I'm strongly considering getting Disney Infinity just because I can play as Elsa and Anna, and I almost never buy anything.)

Star Wars and Gone With the Wind are bigger.

Gone with the Wind is too  old and it made its bucks on decades.

Star Wars was a juggernaut in america only and it was re-released too.

Titanic was a monster everywhere.

A MONSTER.

Adjusted with 3d, Titanic would be a 4B ww grosser at least.

Titanic initial WW run is still the biggest of them all, nothing comes close,nothing.

Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 2

Despite losing half of the screens, Gravity managed to drop only 40% from last wknd, making a little over 1m for a total DOM of 267.9M. Next week it will pass Monsters University and 700m WW. The expansion has made over 10m DOM which is fantastic. It will get another bump if it got some majors awards at the Oscars ( the best chance is BD).

Edited by vc2002
  • Like 1

Despite losing half of the screens, Gravity managed to drop only 40% from last wknd, making a little over 1m for a total DOM of 267.9M. Next week it will pass Monsters University and 700m WW. The expansion has made over 10m DOM which is fantastic. It will get another bump if it got some majors awards at the Oscars ( the best chance is BD).

Isn't it the front runner for Best Pic now

Frozen vs. DM2 is interesting. It's likely that no matter how Frozen ends up, DM2 is going to be a more profitable film. Costing half as much will do that and it's likely to have better initial video sales. So, just movie to movie, DM2 is a slightly bigger winner. (Frozen has the bragging rights, since in absolute dollars it'll be ahead DOM, WW, and OS.)

Where Disney tends to win is the long game (utilizing the vault and bringing things back periodically for more video sales) and tie-ins. Two hugely popular new princesses for that line, additional reasons for people to go to the theme parks, and whatever Elsa they can get people to buy will have Frozen making money many times over.

Basically, when it comes to merchandising, nobody can touch Disney.

(Hell, I'm strongly considering getting Disney Infinity just because I can play as Elsa and Anna, and I almost never buy anything.)

Fixed that for you. ;)Posted Image

• Like 1

Had Frozen grossed 300m dom/750m ww I think the great performance would have gotten Disney to announce Frozen 2.

But with an absurd 400m+ dom/1b+ww, 'tarnishing the original' angle comes into play and we may not have Frozen 2. Weird, innit?

I think its because they know that they such have a lucrative property now that they can generate way more money with through merchandise, a Broadway musical, and theme park attractions than just the billion they would get if they made a another movie so they don't want to take the chance to damage the brand by screwing up a sequel. 

I think its because they know that they such have a lucrative property now that they can generate way more money with through merchandise, a Broadway musical, and theme park attractions than just the billion they would get if they made a another movie so they don't want to take the chance to damage the brand by screwing up a sequel. 

Oh, I forgot about the stage version. That could put upwards of a billion dollars more into the coffers: http://www2.broadwayworld.com/grossescumulative.cfm?sortby=totaltotalGross&orderby=desc

Is Frozen the first "Disney" movie animated or not that actually made good money? I think Tron Legacy was somewhat of a hit. Anything else? I'm not tallking about movies that were produced by their acquisitions i.e. (Marvel, Pixar).

Since when? The company has been around since the 20's, it's got some hits under its belt.
  • Like 1

Star Wars and Gone With the Wind are bigger.

Worldwide, Titanic is bigger than both (ticket sales wise)

Also, he said 'initial run', which makes Titanic and Avatar bigger than Gone with the Wind seeing as it had about 20 re-releases.