Olive

Best Animated Feature-2014

I need to check this one out.. Was it successful at the BO as well Spidey freak?

Yes, it was Croods-level successful. You really need to watch it, especially if you are a gamer. It is basically Toy Story for video games. Cameos by greats like Sonic, Pac Man and Zangief! 

Dragon 2 rocks.. I cant see it losing the best animated film category..

After so many pests that have been made from haters just for this film be a fail at box office just because they disliked the first movie.

I doubt nothing. They are already using the same pests for the Oscars.

• Like 1

Dragon 2 rocks.. I cant see it losing the best animated film category..

Only thing I see with a chance is Paddleton. :) That could be a great film in the works.. I rem the cool toon

show.

Isn't that a Live action CG Movie IDK if that would count in a Animated Film Category. So Far this year IMO the best Animated movie was HTTYD 2. Lego movie was good but Dragon IMO was better. I don't know if it will win Best Animated but so far I would say yes. We Still have Boxtrolls and Big Hero Six.

The best animated feature of this year has to be How To Train Your Dragon 2 - one of the best 3D animation movies I have seen till date, and I have seen quite a few. The dragon racing sequences as well as all the characters seem so very real. So is the storyline. Your heart reaches out to Hiccup and even Toothless when Stoick The Vast dies. And the variety of dragons is oh-so-many, all shapes and sizes, all colors, ferocious and friendly, endless...

Had been looking forward to Peabody and Sherman also in the first half of the year but it turned out to be a damp squib.

• Like 1

The best animated feature of this year has to be How To Train Your Dragon 2 - one of the best 3D animation movies I have seen till date, and I have seen quite a few. The dragon racing sequences as well as all the characters seem so very real. So is the storyline.

Your heart reaches out to Hiccup and even Toothless when Stoick The Vast dies

. And the variety of dragons is oh-so-many, all shapes and sizes, all colors, ferocious and friendly, endless...

Had been looking forward to Peabody and Sherman also in the first half of the year but it turned out to be a damp squib.

May want to put that in spoiler brackets.

Isn't that a Live action CG Movie IDK if that would count in a Animated Film Category. So Far this year IMO the best Animated movie was HTTYD 2. Lego movie was good but Dragon IMO was better. I don't know if it will win Best Animated but so far I would say yes. We Still have Boxtrolls and Big Hero Six.

I'd love to see a Laika movie win an Oscar someday. Loved Coraline much more than Up

• Like 3

Wolf Children should've won that year. And it wasn't even nominated...

Out of the nominations we did get, however, I'd have preferred to have seen Paranorman win. 

THIS ^

Completely snubbed

• Like 1

I haven't seen Lego yet... but I actually hope it or BH6 wins over HTTYD2.  Maybe it's because I went into it with the foreknowledge that 

one major character is killed by another major character

thanks to a magazine article (though it didn't say which characters were involved), but I just... didn't really feel much of an emotional impact.  HTTYD1, TS3, and Frozen were much better at that.

• Like 3

Yeah, I didn't feel the gut punch of THAT moment in HTTYD2 either. But I don't think being vaguely spoilt about it was the reason. It was just the execution. I was similarly spoiled about there being a twist in Frozen relating to "true love". But the actual moment in the film with Anna taking one last painful look at Kristoff and at what could've been for them but still deciding to jump in front of Hans' sword for Elsa was devastating anyway.

• Like 2

Yeah, I didn't feel the gut punch of THAT moment in HTTYD2 either. But I don't think being vaguely spoilt about it was the reason. It was just the execution. I was similarly spoiled about there being a twist in Frozen relating to "true love". But the actual moment in the film with Anna taking one last painful look at Kristoff and at what could've been for them but still deciding to jump in front of Hans' sword for Elsa was devastating anyway.

Agreed 100%

• Like 2

Wolf Children should've won that year. And it wasn't even nominated... Out of the nominations we did get, however, I'd have preferred to have seen Paranorman win.

I'm not quite sure if it made the pre-nomination ballot or not. I haven't checked but I wouldn't be surprised.

I haven't seen Lego yet... but I actually hope it or BH6 wins over HTTYD2.  Maybe it's because I went into it with the foreknowledge that 

one major character is killed by another major character

thanks to a magazine article (though it didn't say which characters were involved), but I just... didn't really feel much of an emotional impact.  HTTYD1, TS3, and Frozen were much better at that.

What? So...

"Dragons 2 wans't what I expect, so I hope those movies that I've never seen in my life win from it" 

?? 

Edited by xSabrinax
  • Like 1

It is very tough for sequels to win, unless it is truly exceptional like Toy Story 3. Toy Story 3 is still the ONLY animated sequel to win the BAF Oscar after 13 years.Not even the pop cultural phenomenon and blockbuster Shrek 2 could get the win! Dragon is showing early signs of being neither. :ph34r:

Toy Story 3 also got a BP nom and it was a sequel to one of the most acclaimed franchise of all time, plus monster box office.Dragon is a good movie and that's about it.LEGO deserves the win and is the front runner for the win currently.
  • Like 2