Films

Weekend estimates | Veronica mars- 2M (down 39% on Sat), 300 2-19.1M,LEGO (7.71M), non-stop (10.6M)

Haven't seen NFS myself, but I gotta give them props for employing some old school practical effects instead of relying 100% on CG.

More stuntsmen get killed this way.

It feels more real.

Ask George Miller about.

• Like 2

Here's the reason I don't think it will do well overseas, and by not well, I mean it won't crack more than 100 (which isn't bad but not huge). The first Fast and Furious did 62 mill.  Granted it was a long time ago, but that was before it became more of an internationally flavoured film.  Back then, it was just an American street racing film.  In fact, none of the first three films made more than 110 mill internationally.  It wasn't until the Fast Five, where they added more international locales, more international stars and gave it a much more global appeal that the series took off internationally.  NFS is just another American action film about fast cars.  That's not enough to get a lot of international audiences really interested in it.  If I was a betting man, I'd say it misses 100 internationally and 150 WW.

But overseas is a completely different world now than in 2001-2003. Russia, China, Brazil are all way bigger markets (and happen to be markets where NFS might be appealing), and in general it's a much much bigger pie than a decade earlier.

• Like 4

The most astonishing about Fast 5 & 6 is that you felt the love of the people who did these movies.

Those movies were so honest about what they were, they didn't  pretend anything, the filmmakers just tried to make the best modern action flicks they could and audiences felt this sincerity hence the big success of those two episodes.

Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 7

Here's the reason I don't think it will do well overseas, and by not well, I mean it won't crack more than 100 (which isn't bad but not huge). The first Fast and Furious did 62 mill.  Granted it was a long time ago, but that was before it became more of an internationally flavoured film.  Back then, it was just an American street racing film.  In fact, none of the first three films made more than 110 mill internationally.  It wasn't until the Fast Five, where they added more international locales, more international stars and gave it a much more global appeal that the series took off internationally.  NFS is just another American action film about fast cars.  That's not enough to get a lot of international audiences really interested in it.  If I was a betting man, I'd say it misses 100 internationally and 150 WW.

China:40m

Russia:10m

50m in 2 markets...

• Like 2

But overseas is a completely different world now than in 2001-2003. Russia, China, Brazil are all way bigger markets (and happen to be markets where NFS might be appealing), and in general it's a much much bigger pie than a decade earlier.

And that's where the extra 25-30 mill will come from.   :P

• Like 3

http://variety.com/2014/film/news/box-office-need-for-speed-in-dogfight-with-mr-peabody-1201133766/

Disney-Dreamworks’ “Need for Speed” is facing a dogfight this weekend at the U.S. box office from Fox’s canine toon “Mr. Peabody and Sherman.”

Friday estimates showed “Speed” slowing down significantly from initial forecasts, dropping from the mid 20s to around $19 million to $23 million at 3,115 locations. The second frame of “Peabody” was coming in slightly above predictions in the $21 million to $25 million range.

“Speed” got out of the gate with a respectable $1.1 million from Thursday-night showings in the U.S. and appeared likely to lead Friday at around $7 million. “Peabody” and Warner Bros.-Legendary’s “300: Rise of an Empire” were each tracking slightly north of $6 million on Friday.

“Speed” carries a $66 million price tag for DreamWorks, which saw lagging performances from recent titles “The Fifth Estate” and “Delivery Man.” The marketing has emphasized a combo of the racing, the story’s videogame roots and leading man Aaron Paul of “Breaking Bad” to persuade its core demo of young males to buy tickets.

“Peabody,” which grossed $42 million in its first week, has the benefit of some of its core demo of schoolchildren going on spring vacation. It should easily win on Saturday with as much as $11 million.

“300: Rise of an Empire,” which grossed $59 million in its first week, appears headed for a close third this weekend at around $19 million.

• Like 2

No way?

Friday est

Need for Speed 35M new

Homefront 5.7M new

Robocop 3.8M 293M

DOS 1.4M 451M

OD:35m yuan=$5.7M

Will that translate into a 10 mill OW in China?

• Like 2