Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

I wonder if that rerelease for EG is even gonna add much of anything. Is it domestic only? Once word gets out online (it already has a bit) that it's not even an extended cut, apparently they're adding some of the stuff that will be an extra on the Blu Ray.

18 minutes ago, TimmyRiggins said:

I wonder if that rerelease for EG is even gonna add much of anything. Is it domestic only? Once word gets out online (it already has a bit) that it's not even an extended cut, apparently they're adding some of the stuff that will be an extra on the Blu Ray.

yes almost certainly US only. just a small re-release, would be probably too expensive to distribute another version of the film to wide release across the world.

18 minutes ago, TimmyRiggins said:

This one? Nothing like a couple million. Global release will push it forward should they do it. Makes sense to do it and frankly imo it makes sense to push Avatar 1 ahead again if they really want to give Avatar 2 it's best shot at 3B+

1 minute ago, Avatree said:

yes almost certainly US only. just a small re-release, would be probably too expensive to distribute another version of the film to wide release across the world

too expensive? Avatar did with ease with no record in sight (having obliterated all of them) and Disney has way more $$

Disney spent over a million to get a wrinkle a time over the hump. Imagine what they'll do for one of their most profitable films ever.

1 minute ago, cdsacken said:

too expensive? Avatar did with ease with no record in sight (having obliterated all of them) and Disney has way more $$

Disney spent over a million to get a wrinkle a time over the hump. Imagine what they'll do for one of their most profitable films ever.

If they can fudge it there just with US re-release why would they spend money on releasing it elsewhere?

Avatar did actually make something like 30M iirc from its re-release. Endgame is incredibly unlikely as its not really a re-release since the films still in wide release, plus its not a different film just some different credits supposedly. I doubt very much it would be worth it in other markets, they only need to do it in america. it would not be beneficial but its somewhat expensive to distribute a film worldwide.

1 hour ago, TimmyRiggins said:

Feige and Disney, shameless, unbelievable. 

They want the record, especially as its within sights. I don't see it as a total lock either which will fetch them their goal but it warrants a try. 

I'm just little puzzled that they didn't wait for EG to surpass initial Avatar run before doing their extended/re-release.

8 minutes ago, Avatree said:

If they can fudge it there just with US re-release why would they spend money on releasing it elsewhere?

Avatar did actually make something like 30M iirc from its re-release. Endgame is incredibly unlikely as its not really a re-release since the films still in wide release, plus its not a different film just some different credits supposedly. I doubt very much it would be worth it in other markets, they only need to do it in america. it would not be beneficial but its somewhat expensive to distribute a film worldwide.

They are only re-releasing because they want the all time #1 WW crown, that's it. Even Disney knows its inevitable that if EG were to surpass Avatar, Avatar will take it back with a re-release down the line. But EG will forever be locked as movie which was #1WW even if it was for a limited time.

1 minute ago, unitedkush said:

They are only re-releasing because they want the all time #1 WW crown, that's it. Even Disney knows its inevitable that if EG were to surpass Avatar, Avatar will take it back with a re-release down the line. But EG will forever be locked as movie which was #1WW even if it was for a limited time.

This is the goal. There is no way they will miss this now. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Deep Wang said:

Then so is literally any studio that ever re-released a movie.

Are you doing it on purpose or are you just happy to disagree with everyone? This is a nonsensical bit, they're apparently attaching some of the stuff that will be in the extras on the BD, it's a cheap move, simple as that. If you're gonna do it, do it a month from now, maybe more. This screams of desperation, THAT's my problem, that and it not being an actual extended cut apparently. Optics matter.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TimmyRiggins said:

Are you doing it on purpose or are you just happy to disagree with everyone? This is a nonsensical bit, they're apparently attaching some of the stuff that will be in the extras on the BD, it's a cheap move, simple as that. If you're gonna do it, do it a month from now, maybe more. This screams of desperation, THAT's my problem, that and it not being an actual extended cut apparently. Optics matter.

Agree. The timing is the poor form, not the re-release itself. 

• Like 1

Endgame rerelease? Sure, lets see how that goes.

But isnt EG still in the cinema? I mean, if you consider that the movie has barely finished its run, it could just be that this mean the "rerelease" will not make significantely more than any movie that has entered its 6th or 7th week.

1 hour ago, cdsacken said:

I actually hope they do that. Rerelease EG to pass Avatar.

Then in 2021 or whenever it's absolutely confirmed it will come out rerelease avatar 1 to break the record and build hype. It's a smart and cheap way to advertise and energize the fanbase. It's just a nominal figure anyways, Titanic is #1 and Avatar 2 of the modern era for inflation adjusted WW totals.

Avatar has made more money worldwide adjusted then Titanic, if I recall correctly. Also, if what you describe actually happens, that would be hilarious and an incredible power move by Disney.

Edited by Crainy

10 minutes ago, TimmyRiggins said:

The only people that care about the 'optics' of this are a very small group of people on this board.

4 minutes ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

Agree. The timing is the poor form, not the re-release itself. 

I'm not saying this is the best thing ever.  If this is in fact what they intend to do, it is pretty weak, and won't add much to the bottom line.

But in terms of timing, its the week before Spider-Man and almost everything has underperformed, I'd say it's perfect.  They just shouldn't half-ass it like they are.

• Like 2

We never saw it coming: Disney is actually trying to perfectly match Endgames box office to that of Avatars. Then BOTH are the most successful movie of all time. And the extra scene added to the end of EG in the re-release will be Thor landing on Pandora, revealing the start of the combined Avatar Marvel Cinematic Universe. The theater erupts into cheers as artistic integrity hides in the corner, pretending it was never there.

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Assuming EG does make it past Avatar due to Disney (scum) throwing cash at it, Avatar will retake before A2 as Jim said they planned to rerelease with improved visuals before A2.

Holy hell Avatar will get a graphics patch.

• Like 4