Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

Just now, SchumacherFTW said:

Kinda hard to compare family films like that. Toy Story is more comparible to Incredibles than Avatar is. Trust us dude, Star Wars IV to Empire is the best comp. And, IN NO WAY IS THAT A BAD THING. 

I'm definitely NOT trusting you on this.

$1.5b is a joke

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, IronJimbo said:

I'm definitely NOT trusting you on this.

$1.5b is a joke

Why is it a joke though? It's definitely going to drop A LOT of dollars here in the UK, and likely in a few other countries too. That still puts it in the top 10 of all time most likely which is phenomenal money. 

4 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

Why is it a joke though? It's definitely going to drop A LOT of dollars here in the UK, and likely in a few other countries too. That still puts it in the top 10 of all time most likely which is phenomenal money. 

If you want to talk about differences in gross in specific countries the biggest change (by far) and most obvious one will be China.

Do I need to remind you that it grossed >$200m in China back in 2010, smashing the current highest grossing record by 3x.

14 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

If you want to talk about differences in gross in specific countries the biggest change (by far) and most obvious one will be China.

Do I need to remind you that it grossed >$200m in China back in 2010, smashing the current highest grossing record by 3x.

But you're basically putting it all on China to do the heavy lifting. What IF they only do 500m? Or Less? 

4 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

But you're basically putting it all on China to do the heavy lifting. What IF they only do 500m? Or Less? 

This could happen, sure. In my scheme of things it's making $2B China, $1B US, and $3B RoW - it will mark the move of the word 'domestic' to the PRC. 

21 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

In what scenario does it make $500m in China but make around $1.5b worldwide?

That's literally going from $2.57b worldwide-china to $1b... a 61% drop.

2 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

I will bet you £20 to the forums that it doesn't hit any of those targets. 

of those the US one is possible.

My current prediction is ~3.5 billies, with a good chance of 4

• Like 1

While I don’t think A2 will jump from A1, I still think $2B will happen as 2020 is looking to be a real weak year. Hell, it was given a major saving grace when Sing 2 moved to 2021, as Croods 2 will be lucky to do over $150M DOM and $450M WW whereas Sing 2 had the potential to do $350M+/$800M+.

2 hours ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

While I don’t think A2 will jump from A1, I still think $2B will happen as 2020 is looking to be a real weak year. Hell, it was given a major saving grace when Sing 2 moved to 2021, as Croods 2 will be lucky to do over $150M DOM and $450M WW whereas Sing 2 had the potential to do $350M+/$800M+.

Yeah, weak year. I can only see very few movies crossing the billion dollar mark. And unlike the past few years where Disney has multiple billion films each year, Avatar 2 is the only sure billionaire from them next year. I mean, what other movies are gonna cross a billion next year aside from Avatar 2?

Edited by UserHN
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, UserHN said:

Yeah, weak year. I can only see very few movies crossing the billion dollar mark. And unlike the past few years where Disney has multiple billion films each year, Avatar 2 is the only sure billionaire from them next year. I mean, what other movies are gonna cross a billion next year aside from Avatar 2?

Mulan and maybe Jungle Cruise if it pulls a POTC

Only A2, WW1984, and Fast 9 have the best chances/locks for $1B. Mulan can be a breakout as well. Minions 2 is about to have a IA style decrease DOM despite the killer business it will do OS to prevent $1B. Jungle Cruise has a very small chance as well as The Eternals (Black Widow won’t do higher than $700M WW imho). Onward could pull a Zootopia if it is IO/Coco great but who knows. Depending on how GKOTM does, Godzilla vs Kong would do it.

Edited by YourMother the Edgelord

7 hours ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

Mulan and maybe Jungle Cruise if it pulls a POTC

Only A2, WW1984, and Fast 9 have the best chances/locks for $1B. Mulan can be a breakout as well. Minions 2 is about to have a IA style decrease DOM despite the killer business it will do OS to prevent $1B. Jungle Cruise has a very small chance as well as The Eternals (Black Widow won’t do higher than $700M WW imho). Onward could pull a Zootopia if it is IO/Coco great but who knows. Depending on how GKOTM does, Godzilla vs Kong would do it.

What an uninspiring year box office wise, and movie wise for the most part, thankfully there's Avatar 2, Nolan and Dune to look forward to, and a Pixar original.

It doesn't look like anything is going much beyond 1.2B next year (if even that) before Avatar 2 arrives, which is kind of nice, I like a relatively quite year to pave way for the the excitement at the very end.  A quiet year with no distractions and  imagine all the fun of watching movies struggling to get over 1B mark, and then once A2 comes out, the worldwide list is going to look so skewed that it'll remind everyone of 1997 and 2009 again....

Edited by NCsoft
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1