Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

I am baffled by how die-hard some fans are.

I think that this will go down from Avatar because it is coming out in an awkard time where it has lost relevance and hasn't gained nostalgia.

Also, the first movie wasn't good and I think people realize that more now. This would have to be a huge game changer.

But, I bet I will be taking this all back when the first trailer drops.

How can a movie that was not good make 760 M?

AVTR has an 83 score at RT http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/avatar/

and an Oscar Nom for best pic

By any objective criteria, it's a "good movie".  The root question is why the movie has no lingering fanbase (cosplay, fanfic, Special Edition flopped, etc.)  There are a lot of "good movies" which were moments in time, whose success couldn't be replicated even closely just a couple of years in either direction.  Examples include 'Rush Hour 2', 'Passion of the Christ', MBFGW, among others.  AVTR, by virtue of its seeming inability to maintain any public interest even nine months after its release, likely has a strong component of that faddishness in its success.  Combined with also non-repeatable and insincere claims about the psychological boost audience would receive from 3D, and a virtual competition-free run of cinemas for two months, it seems highly improbable that sequels will be nearly as successful as the original.

That was too light of a word. It's technical achievements are incredible, and it has some strong accolades, but I have always seen it more as a phenomen than something that merits a sequel.

In my opinion it was a beautiful, but okay movie. I bet people say the same thing about Tree of Life though, one of my favorite movies though.

I also sometimes wonder if this will ever happen especially the more it is put off. I wonder how many people actually have an Avatar sequel on their radar as being something they really look forward to.

Edited by TStechnij
  • Like 1

Really no idea where to place Avatar 2. You'd think after making 760M the sequel would end up pretty high even if it dropped massively. But I mean it is sort of the "forgotten blockbuster". Literally nobody I talk to outside of the internet remembers much of this film or has any sort of hype for a sequel.

I ve already said this but if really the reception of the second movie is numb, Fox will be in a clusterfuck that no studio have ever known in a long time.

They are probably investing 1B (marketing & distribution included, that was the Hobbit number) in this, probably more ( hey it s Cameron all of his movies went over budget since The Abyss), it s 3 films.

Even OS could not be able to save it, who knows ?

I think the problem of the "brand" is that basically humanity are the bad guys in this and nobody identifies with the na'vis or think they are cool and people don t care about the message, they just want to consume I-things until our planet goes Mad Max.

Hence the barely non existent footprint in the nerd/ geek crowd/geekdom.

All the geeks/cinephiles now think the on the nose eco friendly message of the first movie is patronizing.

And it gets worse, Disney is also investing hundreds of millions of dollars in a Pandora theme park they are building as I speak ...

Edited by The Futurist

Because of the nearly guaranteed quality filmmaking, quality spectacle, premier marketing campaign, and the fact they'll be given huge berths by other studios....I can't imagine the franchise tanking and resulting in a "clusterfuck".  I really can't. 

I just view them as, at best, like the Hobbit movies; a sort of blah, dull blockbuster of obligation.  And for all the reasons I've stated already, I don't think there's any chance of them being 600m+ breakouts.

Kal begs to differ.. Afterall, you had people committing suicide over it.. :rolleyes: 

lol.  it's amazing the shameless bullshit that people actually buy into.  Here's a good TED Talk somewhat related to this phenomenon of "astroturf marketing" (such as Fox marketing people pretending they're fans on message boards who loved AVTR so much they killed themselves after seeing it)

Lmao no-one continously talks about Avatar because it was huge amongst the GA, who don't talk constantly talk about a movie 5 year after release, no shock there. Just because it's not like your typical superhero movie with constant news being pumped out every 5 minutes to keep people talking that doesn't mean people have forgotten about it lol.

The first film made 2.8b WW and 99% of the public hadn't heard of it 3 months prior to release. Like all of JC movies, this will let the quality of the film determine it's gross and those that say it will fail to hit 500-600m etc clearly don't know what the fuck they are talking about. If cameron delivers like he has with pratically every movie he's ever made then this will be huge. This thread seems to come down to 'well I didn't like this films so no-one cares' which is always dumb.

• Like 1

Not to be rude, but isn't that just the same like every body who fights wars think they are the good ones?

If you pumped up so much in the media you brainwash people and if everyone is talking about a movie, people will go see it.

That said, Avatar 2 will proably be around 2.8-3.1B WW and the 3th one will be around 2B

Not to be rude, but isn't that just the same like every body who fights wars think they are the good ones?

If you pumped up so much in the media you brainwash people and if everyone is talking about a movie, people will go see it.

That said, Avatar 2 will proably be around 2.8-3.1B WW and the 3th one will be around 2B

This description belongs to movies opened to massive numbers and then bad WOM gave it poor legs, not a movie opened to only 77m and then had a 10X multiplier.

• Like 2

Lmao no-one continously talks about Avatar because it was huge amongst the GA, who don't talk constantly talk about a movie 5 year after release, no shock there. Just because it's not like your typical superhero movie with constant news being pumped out every 5 minutes to keep people talking that doesn't mean people have forgotten about it lol.

The first film made 2.8b WW and 99% of the public hadn't heard of it 3 months prior to release. Like all of JC movies, this will let the quality of the film determine it's gross and those that say it will fail to hit 500-600m etc clearly don't know what the fuck they are talking about. If cameron delivers like he has with pratically every movie he's ever made then this will be huge. This thread seems to come down to 'well I didn't like this films so no-one cares' which is always dumb.

"the public hadn't heard of it 3 months prior to release".

August 23rd, 2009:

AVTR becomes the most watched trailer in history:

http://www.edibleapple.com/2009/08/23/avatar-becomes-most-watched-trailer-in-applecom-history/

Why do you lie to try and make this super-hyped, super-publicized 240m blockbuster seem like a small indie movie?  Isn't the being the #1 movie ever enough for you?

It was only nerds and geeks that watched and kept on piling on it online as soon as it was released(Avatar hatred online began that day then South Park picked on it later on). Stop the revisionism. It wasn't on GA map until the last trailer at the earliest. I was at the Avatar day the day after that 1st trailer was released to a meh reception online, the only people there were geeks, Cameron fans and scifi/action genre cinephiles, none were GA, those who propelled the movie at the top. If GA was already on Avatar hype train since august 23rd, why didn't people rush to see the exclusive brand new footage in theaters for free?

Edited by MADash Rendar
  • Like 2

This description belongs to movies opened to massive numbers and then bad WOM gave it poor legs, not a movie opened to only 77m and then had a 10X multiplier.

People who are already convinced that audiences don't care about AVATAR and that AVATAR 2 will flop are not gonna change their minds. It's ok. Watch their jaws drop and watch them scramble for answers when the sequel opens...

Sorry, but that's not true at all.

I actually look forward to see what reasonings detractors use to justify AVATAR 2's imminent success. I guarantee you that, in spite of the fact that they keep claiming that AVATAR was not loved by anybody and that it was a fluke, and therefore, a sequel is bound to flop, when the sequel smashes, the first thing that they will say is "how could it not succeed? It is a sequel to the top grossing film of all time! The only reason it smashed is because of all the hype due to its being a sequel to a 2.7-billion-grossing film." 

And I will remind them: "But wait...wasn't it bound to flop because nobody loved the first? I am confused..."

The GA doesn't give a shit about cosplays, nerd conventions, or a film's stronghold on the geek community. There is plenty of people, more than enough actually, in the GA that enjoyed the heck out of AVATAR and will go watch the sequel. Butthurt geeks can bash it all they want, but it will be a hit with the masses, just like the first one.

Then we'll have years worth of more "It was a hit only because..." excuses.