Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

James Cameron is known for taking his time with his projects with frequent several year intervals between films. 

None have been as ambitious for him as shooting three sequels at the same time. Currently, Avatar 2 is scheduled for release in December 2017, which seems like a long ways off but principal photography (for 3 films) and post-production will be lengthy endeavors. Plus you can expect he'll need alot of time in the editing bay. 

I've seen no indication filming will begin in 2016. 

What are the odds Avatar 2 won't get pushed back again?

The advantage of his perfcap method is that he can edit the movie right during the shoot with a device that can cut and frame at will because the perfcap set is covered with captors in 360° that is rendered on a device called Virtual Cam that Cameron handles around the plate. It's like toying with photos on a smartphone except it's a 360° 3D app on a movie set, Cameron can move into the virtual set around the actors being rendered as aliens in low poly, panning, zooming in/out, cutting where and when he wants for another angle in real time with fingers swipe/trackballs. As a result, the movie is already blocked and cut rough during the shooting so VFX teams can already work on the final renders very early in parrallel while the movie is still shooting on stage, VFX post-production is done through production. That saves time and help shooting several movies at once but the challenge in this form of pipeline is to keep focus, store, manage and handle those ginormous amount of data on a steady and tight pace.

Here is Cameron using the Virtual Cam and I'm sure all the R&D that is taking place right now has contributed to make it more efficient and "user-friendly" to shoot all the movies back to back:

• Like 2

The advantage of his perfcap method is that he can edit the movie right during the shoot with a device that can cut and frame at will because the perfcap set is covered with captors in 360° that is rendered on a device called Virtual Cam that Cameron handles around the plate. It's like toying with photos on a smartphone except it's a 360° 3D app on a movie set, Cameron can move into the virtual set around the actors being rendered as aliens in low poly, panning, zooming in/out, cutting where and when he wants for another angle in real time with fingers swipe/trackballs. As a result, the movie is already blocked and cut rough during the shooting so VFX teams can already work on the final renders very early in parrallel while the movie is still shooting on stage, VFX post-production is done through production. That saves time and help shooting several movies at once but the challenge in this form of pipeline is to keep focus, store, manage and handle those ginormous amount of data on a steady and tight pace.

Here is Cameron using the Virtual Cam and I'm sure all the R&D that is taking place right now has contributed to make it more efficient and "user-friendly" to shoot all the movies back to back:

Very interesting. Thanks! Looks like these techniques will cut down on pre- and post- production. He still has to shoot the movie and I haven't heard anything past "we're still writing". Hmm...

Apes 2 matched or even maybe passed Avatar on movement and scale, but the most accurate emotion capture still belongs to Avatar.

For all the rightful criticism the Hobbit received for CGI-use, in the department of movement and accurate emotion in movies since Avatar 2009 AUJ's Gollum surely deserves it's space (as well as some of the Orcs in the second and third movie).

Don't want to brag about my King but Cameron is helping a lot of filmmakers about all the modern aspects of filmmaking, behind the scenes, he helped Ang Lee, Scorcese, Bay, Cuaron for their 3d movies, he s big buddies with Peter Jackson( he did settled in New Zeland after all) because duh Weta Digital & Workshop.

I think people don't realize how much filmmakers look up to him...

Do you know the Guillermo  Del Toro/ Cameron story, it s amazing and it could be a great movie.

Long Live King Cameron I!!!

• Like 1

ooooh very cool, thanx for share !!!

Marek

• Like 1

James Cameron is known for taking his time with his projects with frequent several year intervals between films. 

None have been as ambitious for him as shooting three sequels at the same time. Currently, Avatar 2 is scheduled for release in December 2017, which seems like a long ways off but principal photography (for 3 films) and post-production will be lengthy endeavors. Plus you can expect he'll need alot of time in the editing bay. 

I've seen no indication filming will begin in 2016. 

What are the odds Avatar 2 won't get pushed back again?

Avatar 2 will be "delayed" to 2018, and SW VIII may take Dec 2017 again.

Definitely possible on Avatar.

Don't believe it on Star Wars VIII.

JJ can ask for an extension. He's got the clout. Rian? Nope, he does not. You're talking about switching fiscal years. That's executive bonuses at stake.

Edited by kowhite

Indeed! But Peter Jackson was already using a virtual camera when Avatar was only a thought. ;)

Jackson and Zemeckis were the ones that pioneering it. They used it (sort of baby version tho) on Polar Express and LOTR. Cameron is the one that popularized it. That kind of system now is like standard equipments in big SFX houses, and many film-makers hav been using that on their big sfx movies as Cameron invited a lot of them to visit during his Avatar shooting.

Here's an interview about it

http://marvel.com/news/movies/14131/creating_iron_man_2s_special_effects

Q: The "virtual camera" we see used in the special features - was this the first time you'd had access to equipment like that?

Janek Sirrs: I'd seen the setup that James Cameron used for "Avatar." So we were fortunate in the sense that somebody else did all the hard work and pioneered the process/technology! But now the hardware and software needed to create virtual camera setups has gotten so cheap that the approach has filtered down into other departments, such as pre-visualization. In fact, it was easy enough to set up a system in one of our regular offices. Next time, we'll probably be using a similar setup to do virtual scouts of digital sets as well as previs.

Edited by vc2002
  • Like 2

Here's a little bit of news regarding the sequels, one character that is not coming back from the dead is Trudy. Michelle Rodriguez is out. 

http://latino.foxnews.com/latino/entertainment/2015/09/16/michelle-rodriguez-wont-be-returning-for-avatar-sequel/

Hopefully they kill off Sam Worthington's character. 

I have a feeling this won't come out until December 2018. 

We need to stop pretending like we know when this will be coming out, but I do agree with you that Dec 2018 is the earliest possible date they will be able to make.

This is becoming the cinematic equivalent of Duke Nukem Forever.

I agree with that prediction, based on a Dec 2014 interview with Joe Letteri (WETA) the underwater motion capture tech had not even been developed yet let alone tested and perfected, I have to wonder where they stand today to get all of this new tech up and running. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGR4tmgypKU