Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

On 12/17/2015, 6:51:23, BKB IS CAPTAIN AMERICA said:

lol jk simmons j jonah jameson memes amused

It has almost 180 Reviews in at 95% FRESH with only 10 Rotten.. I'm sorry my friend, but AVATAR is pretty well done for and had it's moment and now, TFA will take over and do it in record time..

Lol HP7 got reviews even better didn't make Avatar numbers. Also 2% drop 2nd weekend.  It's a rap for repeat business for sws7 OMG what were they thinking.  Lol jpworld will win the yr likely now..I'm wondering will this beat job world and titanic.  This is going to be a curious run.? As many casual fans are not happy with the movie.  Wow

1 minute ago, Kalel009Shel said:

Lol HP7 got reviews even better didn't make Avatar numbers. Also 2% drop 2nd weekend.  It's a rap for repeat business for sws7 OMG what were they thinking.  Lol jpworld will win the yr likely now..I'm wondering will this beat job world and titanic.  This is going to be a curious run.? As many casual fans are not happy with the movie.  Wow

A lot of causal fans are happy. I think this has a great shot at beating JW domestic title. If this hits 230m OW it should easily beat JW

51 minutes ago, Damien Spock said:

Your faith in your franchises is yours.

Looks like our fellow sws fans  forgot the films always open big but then drop off domestically and os legwise Damien.  Let's see if the force can topple the 650plusm 1.7b jp world. Before we talk about titanic and avatar

4 minutes ago, Kalel009Shel said:

Looks like our fellow sws fans  forgot the films always open big but then drop off domestically and os legwise Damien.  Let's see if the force can topple the 650plusm 1.7b jp world. Before we talk about titanic and avatar

Actually, I was just making a joke. I don't even know what they were talking about.

At this point I'd probably give SW7 60/40 of beating Avatar. It's not going to have the same legs, but it will have a huge lead, with ~3x the OW. That's going to offset a lot even if its weekends from 4 on are guaranteed to be lower. 

(It has no chance of matching Titanic's first run attendance record. That's something I'm pretty confident will never be beaten.)

Avatar's DOM record is gone with the 130m OD, the holiday legs and the excellent reception.

WW it's another story of cause. OS TFA needs to make 800-900m more than JW to get the WW record. Keep in mind that OS dinos were just as popular as Jedis, and also, the SW franchise never had a very high OS/DOM (boxoffice) ratio. JW's OS/DOM ratio 1.55 should be a good comparison for SW7 and the breakdown would be

SW7

DOM 800m -> OS 1240m -> WW 2.04BN

DOM 900m -> OS 1400m -> WW 2.30BN

DOM 1000m -> OS 1500m -> WW 2.55BN

So I think Avatar will keep the WW record. And I couldn't wait for the flame wars on which record is more important.:apocalypse:

15 hours ago, marveldcfox said:

All 3 records are guaranteed.

Nope still not seeing signs of Avatar worldwide gross going down.

So I think Avatar will keep the WW record. And I couldn't wait for the flame wars on which record is more important.:apocalypse:

Within this forum the domestic record is probably more important, but in the grand scheme of things, worldwide box office champion is the ultimate record, that no matter how strong TFA becomes, it will not hold. Domestic box office crown is really just a regional number.

Edited by NCsoft
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, DlAMONDZ said:

All these movies need huge ass openings just to able to sniff Cameron :lol:

That's true, which is why box office tracking is becoming less interesting, I'd love to see more Titanics and Avatars type of runs, start off unimpressive then shock the world with WOM, but no, everything that becomes a hit at box office is something we already expect. There's no surprises anymore. What makes it worse is that the biggest hits has to be rehashes/reboots/sequal that are basically reboots (JW and TFA), that really takes the excitement out of it for me.

What defines 2015 in terms of big hits? oh, a Jurassic park movie and another Star Wars movie:mellow:

• Like 4

15 hours ago, NCsoft said:

That's true, which is why box office tracking is becoming less interesting, I'd love to see more Titanics and Avatars type of runs, start off unimpressive then shock the world with WOM, but no, everything that becomes a hit at box office is something we already expect. There's no surprises anymore. What makes it worse is that the biggest hits has to be rehashes/reboots/sequal that are basically reboots (JW and TFA), that really takes the excitement out of it for me.

What defines 2015 in terms of big hits? oh, a Jurassic park movie and another Star Wars movie:mellow:

The funny thing is Avatar is the movie that most gets singled out and bashed for being unoriginal, often by the very same fans of these other franchises. I'm a fan of some of them too, and am thrilled we'll be getting many more Star Wars adventures, but it's interesting to me how, at least among online movie fandom, some basic stories have  widespread approval to be told over and over again, while the ones Cameron assembled for Avatar are so sharply criticized as belonging in the dustbin of history. Even though they are actually far more relevant to our times, with the habitats of indigenous peoples still under assault across the world (which Cameron has cited as a major motivation in making the sequels).

• Like 5

17 hours ago, Cochofles said:

Fans of SW E4: ANH have no business calling AVATAR unoriginal when everyone knows how much Lucas borrowed from plenty of other sources. And fans of TFA certainly have no business calling AVATAR unoriginal when TFA is pretty much a remake of ANH

Amen cocobaby and guess what was with all the hype of 270-300m opening only beat jpwrld by a measly 24-30m and it ran all day had more screens and is 40mins shorter lol.  And area wom is mixed and jpwrld more satisfying.  Haha I see big drops Cocho.  No Avatar,  no titanic domestic and no jpworld ass kicking happening.  Lol is a copy of over 6 films.  So I agree it's idiotic to try and say its more original than Avatar1 or terminator. Where bkb and the Darth fellows at

Edited by Kalel009Shel