Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

8 hours ago, Biph Shmata said:

IDK how you define bigger, but without a doubt Star Wars is far more profitable than Avatar.  No one buys Avatar video games, no one buys Avatar toys, no one dresses up like a an Avatar character for Halloween, no one looks forward to introducing their kids to the magic of Avatar.  It's only a movie and when the movie goes away so does it's impact on the GP. Star Wars is a cultural phenomenon, it's a bigger than just the movies. It's popularity is greatest in U.S/UK. less so in Europe and much less in Asia, but when the movie finishes it's run Star Wars still goes on. 

STAR WARS has had SEVEN films. These comparisons are just wrong.

10 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

If that post annoyed you try watching this vid,

God these two are insufferable, such crappy points, such smugness.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, John Marston said:

don't really care about Avatar sequels

Name:  download.jpg
Views: 339
Size:  56.8 KB

LOL!!!

At least there is some rumor of T2/3D BluRay being prepared in 2016.

They may release The Abyss & True Lies as somekind of James Cameron

retrospective.

Edited by zackzack

6 hours ago, kayumanggi said:

First off look at what I was responding to, a claim that the James Cameron brand was bigger than Star Wars, it aint no director is not even Spielberg. The fact of the matter is that Avatar for all the money it made was no where near the cultural phenomenon that ANH was. The major reason for this and why no movie may ever carry the widespread and deeply felt impact that Star Wars does is pretty much the first thing you see "A long time ago in a galaxy far far away" this moves the classic hero with 1,000 faces from the realm of the impossible that the old myths of Hercules, King Arthur, Gilgamesh etc etc reside in, to the realm of the possible by taking it out of our own world or even galaxy. It allows us to drop some of our skepticism and at some level view it through a similar lens as our ancestors viewed the old myths.

Avatar is a great in theater experience in fact more than any film it has to be seen in the theater to be fully appreciated, this however is also why it doesn't carry the same cultural weight as even other Cameron films like Titanic and T1 & 2, because unlike those films and Star Wars I cannot come close to replicating the in theater experience in my living room with Avatar and this explains why for all the money it made the impact of Avatar recedes more over time than most other major blockbusters, the gulf between the in theater and at home experience is just too pronounced.  

49 minutes ago, Biph Shmata said:

First off look at what I was responding to, a claim that the James Cameron brand was bigger than Star Wars, it aint no director is not even Spielberg.

There's no single person bigger than SW, not even Lucas himself.

Re-posting this here because I suspect this is gonna be extremely relevant to the AVATAR sequels... Ang Lee's new movie was made for extremely high-end, essentially experimental projection -- 120fps, 4K, 3D. It sounds astonishing and likely something Cameron will pursue for his projects (he feels that 60fps gets you close enough). Note: no theaters today can project 4K 3D at 120fps.

11 minutes of it screened today at NAB.

TwJZw97m_normal.jpg Variety_DSCohen
Have just seen the first showing of the 3D/4K/120 "Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk" footage. NO SPOILERS (more)
4/16/16, 1:14 PM

jt9ge4l92ZUVJarAAAAABJRU5ErkJggg==

Variety_DSCohen
First, let's say up front, it's causing a sensation here at the Future of Cinema Conference #NABShow People are super-excited.
4/16/16, 1:14 PM

jt9ge4l92ZUVJarAAAAABJRU5ErkJggg== Variety_DSCohen
It was a helluva power room watching that first showing: "Avatar" producer Jon Landau, @ILMVFX legend Dennis Muren, and many more. #NABshow
4/16/16, 1:15 PM

Doug Trumbull had a big group in the VIP section for the first showing. His reax: It's going to change the industry. #NABShow
4/16/16, 1:16 PM

Wd7XrAmxepRoGY9OpaR3LGyFXQE1JpqftYY0h8FU Variety_DSCohen
Dennis Muren was grinning ear to ear when he congratulated Ang Lee afterward. #NABShow
4/16/16, 1:16 PM

My reax: First, it doesn't look like video, but it doesn't look like 24-frame film, either. It's something new. (more) #NABShow
4/16/16, 1:17 PM

Second: This isn't just a novelty, or tech for tech's sake. Perfect match of material with format. This clarity = storytelling. #NABshow
4/16/16, 1:18 PM

I don't know the future, but this seems to me like it really is something to bring people back to theaters. #NABShow
4/16/16, 1:29 PM

jt9ge4l92ZUVJarAAAAABJRU5ErkJggg==

Variety_DSCohen
FWIW, @JimCameron told me he thinks 60 frames/second is enough, which means many people could see something close to what we saw. #NABShow
4/16/16, 1:33 PM

.@HowardLukk after seeing the "Billy Lynn" footage: "Stunned... the best #3D I've ever seen... absolutely amazing. #NABShow
4/16/16, 2:15 PM

General consensus on 3D/4K/120 is: feels like video for the first few seconds, but then it goes way beyond. #3D feels flawless. #NABShow
4/16/16, 2:16 PM

Tech tidbit: I'm told that at 120 fps, digital noise goes by so fast you can't even perceive it. Less need to clean it up. #NABShow
4/16/16, 2:17 PM

This really does feel like being present for history being made, like people will be bragging about having been here. #NABShow
4/16/16, 2:27 PM

Full 4K on each eye, both eyes at 120fps. Presentation was on dual high-end Christie projectors, 28 foot-Lamberts. https://t.co/ju8y455MUC
4/16/16, 2:32 PM

• Like 5

^The "not looking like video" is going to be very important. For all the advantages 48fps might offer, the Hobbit movies all fell into the same "It looks like video/masterpiece theater" trap which made them look cheap. The backlash was so much that WB pretty much abandoned promoting 48fps for the next 2 movies despite them having the same number of 48fps screens. 

I think the mistake there was probably using the experimental high frame rate footage in a movie where the majority of the first half was people sitting around which exacerbated the "video/theater production" issue.

I have no fucking clue what this movie is, yet I'm still excited.  And confused.

WTF is this?  And Lee, that's good enough for me.  Filmmaking tech to the extreme?  Must watch.  I stil want to watch that Trumball high framerate thing so of course.

1 minute ago, kowhite said:

I have no fucking clue what this movie is, yet I'm still excited.  And confused.

WTF is this?  And Lee, that's good enough for me.  Filmmaking tech to the extreme?  Must watch.  I stil want to watch that Trumball high framerate thing so of course.

Me too. Although Lee's movie is basically "that Trumbull high framerate thing" to the T.

Hook me up, man. Let's get this screened.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

Me too. Although Lee's movie is basically "that Trumbull high framerate thing" to the T.

Hook me up, man. Let's get this screened.

I always like when people know what I'm talking about when I refer to random geeky film things.  I made mention to Buneul the other night, in a not so direct reference cause if I was direct nobody would understand me but this one guy did!  And I liked him more.

i guess it's not so random here, you're a bunch of nerds.

Edited by kowhite
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

If that post annoyed you try watching this vid,

God these two are insufferable, such crappy points, such smugness.

Such ignorance, can't believe that stupid video got so many likes, Avatar 2 will prove them wrong of course.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, grim22 said:

^The "not looking like video" is going to be very important. For all the advantages 48fps might offer, the Hobbit movies all fell into the same "It looks like video/masterpiece theater" trap which made them look cheap. The backlash was so much that WB pretty much abandoned promoting 48fps for the next 2 movies despite them having the same number of 48fps screens. 

I think the mistake there was probably using the experimental high frame rate footage in a movie where the majority of the first half was people sitting around which exacerbated the "video/theater production" issue.

Everything that is faster than 24 fps will make some people go "i don't like it, looks like TV", doesn't matter whether it's 48, 60 or 120 fps. They want that choppinness.