Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

2 hours ago, PANDA said:

People said that domestically then both were crushed by TFA.

Now it’s being said WW, and guess which global phenomenon is coming for the both of them?

Honestly Titanic might sink to number 4-7 with Pika Pika, Avengers 4, Episode IX and Frozen 2 coming to dominate as well

After Jurassic World grossing what it did domestically without it even being good i was open to TFA outgrossing Avatar.

No way Episode IX makes more than TFA. Even if Frozen 2 does a Pirates 1 to Pirates 2 jump it won't touch Titanic.  Avengers 4... i dunno, it's gotta start losing some audience eventually. If it weren't for some huge bumps like in China and India Avengers 3 would have pretty much landed where the original did. I think it has pretty much plateaued everywhere now. As for Pikachu, seriously? Yes, it's got some crazy trailer views and Pokemon is a big brand and maybe i'm totally wrong but i doubt that's gonna translate to a huge worldwide phenomenon kinda movie.

Possibility, yes. Odds, low, i'd say.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PANDA said:

Now it’s being said WW, and guess which global phenomenon is coming for the both of them?

Honestly Titanic might sink to number 4-7 with Pika Pika, Avengers 4, Episode IX and Frozen 2 coming to dominate as well

Episode IX? I know it’s still early in the game, but I can’t think of any reason for why that would be a $2 billion hit. The popularity of Star Wars is in the gutter right now. China wants nothing to do with the franchise, toy sales are abysmal and TLJ (which I liked) pushed away a lot of fans.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Episode IX? I know it’s still early in the game, but I can’t think of any reason for why that would be a $2 billion hit. The popularity of Star Wars is in the gutter right now. China wants nothing to do with the franchise, toy sales are abysmal and TLJ (which I liked) pushed away a lot of fans.

is the dark side stronger?

4 hours ago, PANDA said:

EP9 is lucky to catch 1.1-1.2 B next year, it isn't even in the running to win yearly global crown. A film couldn't be a global phenomenon if no one in Asia cares about it.

Pikachu should probably focus on out-grossing TS4 or getting to that 1B mark first, which would be a huge challenge in itself.

Frozen 2 could do well, but should really focus on surpassing Incredibles 2 and the original Frozen first before dreaming any bigger, Japan might not give it the gross it delivered for the first one.

Avengers 4 will be big, for sure, but with US dollar being at a relative high point, and interest/passion peaking in many markets with Infinity War, and it's only been 1 year since then, I think the goal is simply to catch Infinity War globally, it literally have to earn more in many markets just to stay even to Infinity War due to exchange rates, that will be far from an easy target. As for Titanic, it's possible, but more unlikely than likely.

In any case, none of these really come anywhere close to Titanic's legendary  status, you know that, 1.84B globally in 1997, greatest global box office run of all time, worldwide highest grossing film for 12 years, until Avatar came along and surpassed it with the help of inflation and markets expansion. 

Edited by NCsoft
  • Like 3

27 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Not only that, but to surpass Titanic, it would have to be a 2.2B hit.  EP9??? :hahaha:

The Lion King won’t even surpass Infinity War let alone Avatar. I have no doubt that it will smash but let’s not forget that people have already seen this movie so the repeat viewings won’t be great. Also it’s released in the summer - the competion won’t allow this to breathe. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GraceRandolph said:

The Lion King won’t even surpass Infinity War let alone Avatar. I have no doubt that it will smash but let’s not forget that people have already seen this movie so the repeat viewings won’t be great. Also it’s released in the summer - the competion won’t allow this to breathe. 

This is also true, really can't imagine poeple seeing this 72 times like they did with TFA. TFA was a 'new' story, afterall.

• Haha 2

On 11/23/2018 at 8:40 PM, PANDA said:

I want whatever you're smoking PANDA. I thought my DMT days were reality warping. Please let me on the ride. 

On 11/23/2018 at 11:51 PM, Elessar said:

After Jurassic World grossing what it did domestically without it even being good i was open to TFA outgrossing Avatar.

No way Episode IX makes more than TFA. Even if Frozen 2 does a Pirates 1 to Pirates 2 jump it won't touch Titanic.  Avengers 4... i dunno, it's gotta start losing some audience eventually. If it weren't for some huge bumps like in China and India Avengers 3 would have pretty much landed where the original did. I think it has pretty much plateaued everywhere now. As for Pikachu, seriously? Yes, it's got some crazy trailer views and Pokemon is a big brand and maybe i'm totally wrong but i doubt that's gonna translate to a huge worldwide phenomenon kinda movie.

Possibility, yes. Odds, low, i'd say.

people enjoyed Jurassic World though and TFA was locked to gross more than Avatar domestically a month prior to release. I don't think anyone doubted that at the time. The Lion King however isn't Star wars

16 minutes ago, Alli said:

Well this guy is clearly a racist 

this idea that people don't remember Avatar is absurd. I can't think of a single original movie based off no existing material which didn't spawn sequels in the last 10 years that is still constantly discussed today. don't let the fact that there's no marketing or online articles every 10 mins lead you to believe that people have forgotten Avatar, people loved it and they still love it

Edited by Jessie
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Honestly, I think if Infinity War 1 and TFA couldnt even beat Titanic, no other movie till perhaps Avatar 2 will be able to beat that mark. People are overestimating what Lion King will pull I think, I dont see it beeing exceptionally huge. In a market where people are so conditioned to these comic book genre films, I dont think a movie like Lion King will have the pull it once had. Maybe in 10 years when things have shifted again. I see Lion King pulling BATB numbers, perhaps abit higher.