Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

4 hours ago, NCsoft said:

What an uninspiring year box office wise, and movie wise for the most part, thankfully there's Avatar 2, Nolan and Dune to look forward to, and a Pixar original.

It doesn't look like anything is going much beyond 1.2B next year (if even that) before Avatar 2 arrives, which is kind of nice, I like a relatively quite year to pave way for the the excitement at the very end.  A quiet year with no distractions and  imagine all the fun of watching movies struggling to get over 1B mark, and then once A2 comes out, the worldwide list is going to look so skewed that it'll remind everyone of 1997 and 2009 again....

After some contemplation, I realized that there are 3 films next year that are locked to do $1B+. Uni's Fast 9 and Minions 2, and Disney/Fox's Avatar 2. WB has 2 films with strong chances but not locked: WW84 (WW had surprisingly weak OS numbers) and Godzilla vs Kong (will do bonkers in China). Disney's Mulan and Shang Chi are very dependent on the Chinese market, it's kinda scary.

Edited by UserHN
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, UserHN said:

After some contemplation, I realized that there are 3 films next year that are locked to do $1B+. Uni's Fast 9 and Minions 2, and Disney/Fox's Avatar 2. WB has 2 films with strong chances but not locked: WW84 (WW had surprisingly weak OS numbers) and Godzilla vs Kong (will do bonkers in China). Disney's Mulan and Shang Chi are very dependent on the Chinese market, it's kinda scary.

I honestly don’t think Minions 2 is locked, Minions and DM3 burned off a lot of goodwill DOM and I don’t think Shang Chi is coming out next year.

4 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

I honestly don’t think Minions 2 is locked, Minions and DM3 burned off a lot of goodwill DOM and I don’t think Shang Chi is coming out next year.

Even if Minions and DM keep decreasing in DOM, they also keep increasing in OS. The OS increases will keep those movies to gross $1B+ even if they are lame and generic.

7 minutes ago, UserHN said:

Even if Minions and DM keep decreasing in DOM, they also keep increasing in OS. The OS increases will keep those movies to gross $1B+ even if they are lame and generic.

I’m thinking more sub $200M DOM while OS does around high $600M to low $700M.

Shang-Chi has the potential to do over 1B+ , Asian markets can rally behind it just like Captain marvel and Aquaman. 

Mulan is more likely a 1B+ movie if the reviews are good. 

Onward, have to see the teaser first. 

WW84, IDK could go any way. 

Nolan is coming back but cast is not that famous like Leonardo or Tom. I see it doing around Inception if it is good. 

Dune is set to fail. 

F&F 9  is 1B+

Minions 2 is 1B+

Eternals could be surprise 1B+ depending on the quality of the movie, diverse Superhero movies do much better than Average white male Superhero origin movie. 

23 hours ago, JB33 said:

LMAO! Cameron fans are going to be so depressed come December 2020.

Because these past 22 years of dominance have just really taken their toll... oh whatever will we do! :Gaga:

Edited by JamesCameronScholar
  • Haha 2

15 hours ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

I have doubt about Minions 2 getting to 1B as well, not sure if this is a Ice Age/Shrek situation yet, but the DM franchise would start to see declining returns. DM3 already suffered  domestic drop, usually that could indicate a worldwide drop sooner or later, Minions was generally perceived as terrible, that won't help.

I'm kind of curious how SLOP 2 will do this year, that will give an indication whether illustration is as powerful as it once was, I mean, a lot of people don't even remember that The Grinch came out...

Edited by NCsoft

53 minutes ago, NCsoft said:

I have doubt about Minions 2 getting to 1B as well, not sure if this is a Ice Age/Shrek situation yet, but the DM franchise would start to see declining returns. DM3 already suffered  domestic drop, usually that could indicate a worldwide drop sooner or later, Minions was generally perceived as terrible, that won't help.

I'm kind of curious how SLOP 2 will do this year, that will give an indication whether illustration is as powerful as it once was, I mean, a lot of people don't even remember that The Grinch came out...

You mean Illumination 😆

• Haha 1

Lol I love Cameron's smile's in almost every recent picture of him. It's halfway between :qotd::redcapes:

I'm not sure if anyone else sees it but I think it's hilarious. Like a guy trying to keep his humble nature even though he knows he's at the top

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Lol I love Cameron's smile's in almost every recent picture of him. It's halfway between :qotd::redcapes:

I'm not sure if anyone else sees it but I think it's hilarious. Like a guy trying to keep his humble nature even though he knows he's at the top

Oh trust me. We've seen it. Many many times. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1