Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

58 minutes ago, Alexdube said:

Still very busy finishing the movie I imagine, plus he lives on the other side of the planet.

I suspect the cinemcon presentation was a very rush decision. The footage shown are scattered, and the lack of mind-blowing thought suggest that the movie is still very much in the midst of post-production  

3 hours ago, NCsoft said:

Completely depending on release scale and ambition, I think?

Personally, if Avatar 2 is capable of getting to 3B, I'd rather A2 be the first film to do so; Titanic first to get to 1B, Avatar 2B, and Avatar 2 - 3B, it's a nice legacy.

As for the re-release, I'm guessing anywhere between $50M to $200M globally is possible? Also depends on if China is getting it again, could squeeze some more money perhaps.

a better legacy
Titanic 1B, Avatar 2B + 3B, Avatar 2 4B

also thanks for that big post earlier, i ran out of reactions

It's kind of sad no one can estimate worldwide accurately anymore so long as chinese cinema exists.

Avatar 2 could make anywhere between $0 and $1.5B there, depending on factors outside of the usual cinema factors such as marketing + word of mouth.

Edited by IronJimbo
  • Like 1

It’s a brilliant move putting the trailer exclusively with Doctor Strange. 

we need more of this thing like the old days. Let audiences already going to a behemoth like Strange the first look at a major movie on the big screen, rather than on their phones. It’s a big deal. 

Then everybody else can see it the week after on their various devices. 

Avatar screams big screen experience, so it totally makes sense the marketing starts this way. Add the rerelease of a spruced up original movie in September in 3D and Disney are definitely making the right moves so far….

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Chaz said:

I think Avatar 2 will drop in every territory. 🤷‍♂️

Of course it will be released in every territory...the only question is which format it will be in within every country!  😉

What's that?  I thought "drop" was this generation's term for "being released"??  😅 

• Like 1

https://www.boxofficepro.com/cinemacon-2022-disney-and-universal-tout-tentpoles-avatar-aims-to-revive-3d-at-the-movies/

CinemaCon delegates were treated to a first look of footage of Avatar: The Way of Water—and it looks stunning. Shot in digital 3D with high dynamic range (HDR) and a high frame rate (HFR), the Avatar sequel is aiming to once again set a new benchmark for cinema technology. Judging from the footage, the film will be a treat for those seeing it at theaters with cutting-edge technology—but the global supply chain disruption may impact that availability. As a result, cinema operators looking to market Avatar: The Way of Water as a new benchmark of cinema presentation at their theaters may want to get an early start in determining their equipment needs. 

Expectations for Avatar: The Way of Water have been so high for so long that it no longer makes sense to forecast the film’s potential performance to its predecessor’s. The global exhibition industry has changed considerably since the original Avatar launched digital 3D back in 2009. Market share for 3D films at the global box office was already in decline before the pandemic, going down from 22% of the worldwide box office in 2016 to 15% in 2019. In the United States, the total number of digital 3D screens has decreased by 14% since 2018. Avatar: The Way of Water could easily be a big hit for theaters, but we’ll have to wait to see if it can revive the ailing digital 3D format in an era marked by the rise of competing Premium Large Format (PLF) concepts.

42 minutes ago, Macleod said:

Of course it will be released in every territory...the only question is which format it will be in within every country!  😉

What's that?  I thought "drop" was this generation's term for "being released"??  😅 

My new single, “My Single is Dropping,” is dropping.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Is it going to be HFR pretty much everywhere it’s released, or just select theatres? I don’t know much about how this works. I intensely dislike HFR - it’s strange feeling and anti-cinematic. I’d rather watch it at 24fps, and hope we aren’t pushed in the HFR direction.

I’m not really a fan of 3D either, even when done well. Just give me a 2D, 24fps experience. 

Peace,

Mike

2 hours ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

even saudi arabia?

There might be a chance that they decide to ban it like they did with Doctor Strange 

But if not, we should be looking at some good numbers over there

Edited by NCsoft

1 hour ago, MikeQ said:

Is it going to be HFR pretty much everywhere it’s released, or just select theatres? I don’t know much about how this works. I intensely dislike HFR - it’s strange feeling and anti-cinematic. I’d rather watch it at 24fps, and hope we aren’t pushed in the HFR direction.

I’m not really a fan of 3D either, even when done well. Just give me a 2D, 24fps experience. 

Peace,

Mike

Probably not everywhere, I don't imagine many smaller theaters will even have the capability to show it in that format.