Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

6 minutes ago, hw64 said:

Yes they have. Trust me, as someone who's been lurking and posting in this thread for years, nobody new has come out of the woodwork to jump on the perceived bandwagon over the past months or so. They have been here for years, and they've been incredibly consistent in their predictions for years. Nobody has kneejerked their predictions massively upwards because of some domestic opening weekend projections.

I don't know where this is coming from because outside of some important milestones like teasers and trailers, I can't remember you really posting in this thread at all.

No that’s fair. I haven’t been until recently, but I’ve been anticipating the film all the same since it was announced. 

Every franchise has their fanatics who will hype up a massive prediction - I get that. I’ve done the same many times. 

I’m just saying that I, and most others who post on the forums in general, won’t find a final total that makes this the biggest film of the year even remotely disappointing. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

No that’s fair. I haven’t been until recently, but I’ve been anticipating the film all the same since it was announced. 

Every franchise has their fanatics who will hype up a massive prediction - I get that. I’ve done the same many times. 

I’m just saying that I, and most others who post on the forums in general, won’t find a final total that makes this the biggest film of the year even remotely disappointing. 

Throwing some of the most seasoned and experienced users in the site under "fanboys" is just bizarre. You really think nobody was predicting this to cross 2b easily other than the people super passionate about the film like Jimbo? come on now.

Edited by JustLurking
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, hw64 said:

This is complete fiction. The $3b predictions predate the opening weekend projections by literal years, and I saw absolutely nobody jumping on the $3b bandwagon just because of the projections. And everyone's been around long before the summer — the regular posters have been here for 5+ years. Everything in your post is completely false.

outside this thread I wasn’t seeing or hearing it much at all is all I’m saying. The regular weekend threads where most of the conversation is had and goes wildly off topic, there wasn’t as much talk and that’s what I based my ‘nobody’ comments on. 

100% appreciate those of you in this thread that are mega fans who did say it’ll blow up into the biggest film of all time. Good luck to you. 

5 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

Boy this thread is imploding.

y'all need to chill. yes the movie is coming below expectations in many ways but there are more important things in life.

the film will still make a lot of money, probably get its sequels and whatnot. just not as much as it seemed just a few weeks ago.

Jesus christ, and I thought I was too involved.

Man what's this post? You ask people to chill then you say something provocative in the same sentence. 😂

My 48fps IMAX 3D review.

Pro:

1. 48fps save us from motion sickness. We experience zero headache throughout 3 hours despite the last hour was intense as thrilling.

2. Superb 3D effect. The 3D effect is at least 50% stronger and deeper than A1.

3. Better character development than A1

4. A lot more emotional than A1 but I didn't cry or shed a tear. 

5. Flawless CGI. The Godfather of VFX. 

6. Yes, it is 3 hours but the movie constantly keep you interested. 

Con:

1. Too many characters and all character development all half-baked except for Lo'ak. They simply have too many children in this movie. Should have move some characters to A3. 

2. Weird pacing especially the first half. 

3. As incredible and as the final hour, the last act was simply not on epic scale.

4. Too much call back to the original in term of score and cinematography.

5. Meh score. James Horner simply irreplaceable. 

6. The first half of the movie has the worst editing for JC's filmography. (I didn't saw Piranha)

Overall I will give it 8/10. The same as A1. Yes, you are hearing me right. I agree some parts especially the drama parts are better handled but in term overall feeling, I just can't bring myself to claim that this is better movie than A1. 

In term of box office, it is tricky. If this is a straight sci-fi action movie then I will surely doubt its legs but the family drama parts may click well with the audience and allow the movie to develop legs.    

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, IronJimbo said:

Man what's this post? You ask people to chill then you say something provocative in the same sentence. 😂

Haha, sorry, I don't mean that as a provocation! I just meant that not everyone predicting high was hella passionate about the film. It was just what it was looking like. I'll edit for clarity.

1 minute ago, JustLurking said:

Throwing some of the most seasoned and experienced users in the site under "fanboys" is just bizarre. You really think nobody was predicting this to cross 2b easily other than Jimbo&co? come on now.

I didn’t see anybody predicting with certainty of 2 billion plus in the weekend threads when talking about the year - nope. Not saying there weren’t some, but the majority weren’t and it’s those (me included) that therefore won’t be melting down if it doesn’t hit those gargantuan numbers. 

14 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

Just trying to reassure you that there will be no ‘disappointment’ consensus from the majority of us if this makes under $1.5 billion. 

You are right there will be no disappointment only epic "MELTDOWNS" xD

Edited by Nero
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, tenken said:

I have yet to see ATWOW, but I agree with you. My expectation was that ATWOW would be a masterpiece sequel which is why I made some big box-office predictions. Never did I think this movie could be a disappointment quality-wise considering JC has spent 7 years(3 on scripts) working on it. If JC cannot deliver a great movie with that much time, he is not as good a director as he used to be. I will watch the film on Thursday.

Even if he did deliver a "masterpiece" (and I personally think the new film is fantastic), I don't think you'd see a much better reception than what we're seeing now. Avatar will forever be graded on a curve. The "backlash" from high brow types borne out of the first film's success (which paradoxically seems to have been co-opted by younger fans that prefer the more serialized blockbuster storytelling of the last 10-15 years) will forever taint this IP. The proof is in the pudding - critics seem to agree that this is a step up from the original, yet the numerical consensus is a notch lower. It's as if the first scored in the low sixties on MC, rather than the mid-80s. 

Avatar is no more full of clichés than any four quadrant blockbuster - particularly in recent memory. Its story is no more archetypical compared to the deluge of comic book movies that have been released over the last decade or so (as much as I enjoy them). Yet that's the reductive narrative that has emerged from the ashes of the first film, and it's only fermented in the interim. And the more cash and awards this one rakes in, the worse it will get - just as it did with the original. It may even intensify for future sequels now that the novelty of a new Avatar movie has worn off - I wouldn't be surprised to see the fourth or fifth film scoring outright negative reviews, despite no obvious drop in quality. 

For whatever reason, everyone seems to love Avatar - except for a very vocal, persistent, and perhaps growing minority of the online discourse that seems hellbent on applying a much higher standard to this than to other blockbusters. Perhaps that's earned, given the Cameron name. And I do see similarly high standards applied to other prestige directors (e.g. Nolan - though I think he earned the flak he got for Tenet)… but it can be a bit frustrating. And it's weird that it comes from both high-brow cinephiles that see the film as a vapid technical exercise and an affront to cinema, and the more mainstream fans that get triggered by the notion that Cameron's filmography harkens back to the golden age of blockbuster filmmaking. 

Edited by daftcat
grammar
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

Meltdowns are starting. Lol. 

Two months ago NOBODY was expecting this to be the biggest film of all time. Nobody

In the summer when TGM was destroying everything nobody was saying that Avatar would categorically top it. 

So if (and I think it will) Avatar tops TGM worldwide, well what’s the problem? If it ends up in the top four or five biggest films of all time, what is the problem!?! It’ll be incredible and WAY beyond what anybody was expecting earlier this year. Some of you have just hyped yourselves beyond reality - AGAIN. 

Yeah this is just completely wrong. There were many diehard Avatar fans who have been on the 3b+ train for a long time on this forum. 

6 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

oh I’m not saying people haven’t predicted big numbers at all. I’m merely saying that this ‘disappointment’ consensus that can take over (and indeed is being trolled by others) will not be shared by the vast majority of frequent forum dwellers. 

I don’t think three billion predictions are realistic personally, but I’m not knocking those that have predicted it whatsoever. 

I’m on the side of you guys. Just trying to reassure you that there will be no ‘disappointment’ consensus from the majority of us if this makes under $1.5 billion. 

Lol seriously? People considered AOU disappointing when it grossed 1.4b+ way back in 2015 even though it was the 5th highest grossing movie at that point. Less than 1.5b is absolutely disappointing for this movie and it will cause the mother of all meltdowns here if it happens (though there is no way it goes below 1.5b). 

• Like 4

Just now, wildphantom said:

I didn’t see anybody predicting with certainty of 2 billion plus in the weekend threads when talking about the year - nope. Not saying there weren’t some, but the majority weren’t and it’s those (me included) that therefore won’t be melting down if it doesn’t hit those gargantuan numbers. 

As long as you think peeps like charlie, xxr etc. are nobody, then sure I guess.

Anyway, I'll eclipse myself from the thread until I see the film on sat. Will just keep checking out the run from the outside. Hoping for the best.

5 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

My 48fps IMAX 3D review.

Pro:

1. 48fps save us from motion sickness. We experience zero headache throughout 3 hours despite the last hour was intense as thrilling.

Con:

1. Too many characters and all character development all half-baked except for Lo'ak. They simply have too many children in this movie. Should have move some characters to A3. 

3. As incredible and as the final hour, the last act was simply not on epic scale.

6. The first half of the movie has the worst editing for JC's filmography. (I didn't saw Piranha)

Overall I will give it 8/10. The same as A1. Yes, you are hearing me right. I agree some parts especially the drama parts are better handled but in term overall feeling, I just can't bring myself to claim that this is better movie than A1. 

In term of box office, it is tricky. If this is a straight sci-fi action movie then I will surely doubt its legs but the family drama parts may click well with the audience and allow the movie to develop legs.    

Exact feelings of few friends who have watched it. The final act lacks epicness and scale. The first act is badly edited. And score is meh. They needed an editor for this and a proper music composer.

Edited by marveldcfox

4 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

My 48fps IMAX 3D review.

Pro:

Con:

Where were you? Didn't see you much in the thread 👀

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

Boy this thread is imploding.

y'all need to chill. yes the movie is coming below expectations in many ways but there are more important things in life.

the film will still make a lot of money, probably get its sequels and whatnot. just not as much as it seemed just a few weeks ago.

Jesus christ, and I thought I was too involved.

People keep saying this, but who's actually getting worked up here?

The only people I really see dooming are new posters who barely, if ever, show up here, and even then a lot of it is just concern trolling to try to provoke a reaction out of the regulars. Ironically the regulars, the people you'd expect to be most likely to have meltdowns, are some of the most calm posters here.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

I’m on the side of you guys. Just trying to reassure you that there will be no ‘disappointment’ consensus from the majority of us if this makes under $1.5 billion. 

Based on the reaction to other blockbusters that made under a billion this year on this board, that's definitely not true 

Just now, JustLurking said:

As long as you think peeps like charlie, xxr etc. are nobody, then sure I guess.

Anyway, I'll eclipse myself from the thread until I see the film on sat. Will just keep checking out the run from the outside. Hoping for the best.

of course I don’t think they’re nobody. I don’t understand why, having perfectly explained where I’m coming from, it has to turn into this massive argument. 

The general sentiment from frequent posters has never had this thing blowing up to absurd levels as we’ve talked box office all year long.  It just hasn’t. 

That’s what I’ve been trying to say, and therefore trying to be realistic as I see the flames starting to ignite. 

I take back ‘nobody’.  Happy? 

Shooting Bob Odenkirk GIF by Nobody

8 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

Haha, sorry, I don't mean that as a provocation! I just meant that not everyone predicting high was hella passionate about the film. It was just what it was looking like. I'll edit for clarity.

I got ya.

I just want to say so far everything is within expectations. By everything I mean, reactions & reviews & Deadline/BOP reporting.

If the film does come in near $150m, yes it's lower than I expected $190m. I won't be panicing or anthing,  my general thought for the last 7 years will be that Avatar 2 will start good and be carried by insane legs.

Edited by IronJimbo
  • Like 2