Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

2 minutes ago, NCsoft said:

It did indeed so careful out there if you don't want your first experience of seeing Avatar 2 to be a crappy cam footage...

Yea it's not worth watching it. I checked it out and it's a really really bad cam rip. Stopped after a few seconds (confirming it was real.)

7 hours ago, Ozymandias said:

What I find fascinating about Avatar these days isn't the "it made a ton of money but nobody cares or remembers it" talk or the "you can compare it to Dances With Wolves, Pocahontas, Ferngully, etc until you're blue in the face", its that it made a ton of money despite being quite explicitly an anti-imperialist and anti-US movie.  Avatar came out less than a decade after 9/11 and audiences were cheering when the natives in another land were killing US soldiers.  It felt like an anomaly at the time and especially now with the next decade+ of Hollywood blockbuster film making  such as the MCU, Man of Steel, and Transformers being full blown propaganda for the State Department and the military industrial complex.  If I remember correctly, theres a line in Avatar by Stephen Lang's character(the war hungry and bloodthirsty general) that indicates the US was either at war with Venezuela or conquered it which is highly amusing after that hilariously botched US orchestrated coup in Venezuela a few years ago in an attempt to exploit its natural resources(mostly oil).

While I didn't like Avatar all that much(mostly because of 1 dimensional characters and the Navi designs), if James Cameron doesn't capitulate under any studio "concerns" or pressure and keeps his foot on the the anti-imperialist/patriotic gas pedal, I'm very curious to see how Avatar 2 plays in a society that, over the past 12 years, has rapidly become much more militaristic and oligarchical.  If Avatar 2 becomes a whiz-bang blockbuster hit in a time with such a compliant obedient media-brained population and blows movies like Top Gun 2(which is gonna be huge) out of the water, it will(gasp) be hard for me to root against it. 

My worry is does it double down on the white Saviour angle the 1st movie had. Remember Cameron was born and raised in Canada where residential schools were still around until the late 1990s and the stories of nightmarish levels ofabuse are still coming out even now. I feel if it comes back it will hurt the film in a big way

• ...wtf 1
  • Knock It Off 1

I don’t know what leak you lot saw but what I saw looked great. Finally people are using the 4K functionality on their smartphones to illegally record movies. That was the best trailer leak I’ve ever seen. Steady hand and everything.

Movie looks like an Avatar sequel. Good for them. 

Edited by AJG
  • Like 1

I think the supposed political shifts since 2009 have been overstated tbh. For all the bad faith interpretations of the movie's themes amplified by Twitter, ultimately it's still gonna be a big blockbuster that everyone's gonna see.

Edited by AniNate
  • Like 1
  • Disbelief 1

Or North America I guess. Maybe it'll be in the news for a couple days if some big influencer tweets about it but ultimately I think most viewers will just see it as a guy trying to raise/protect his family and fight an evil corporation

15 minutes ago, AJG said:

I don’t know what leak you lot saw but what I saw looked great. Finally people are using the 4K functionality on their smartphones to illegally record movies. That was the best trailer leak I’ve ever seen. Steady hand and everything.

Movie looks like an Avatar sequel. Good for them. 

Do you mind sendo to me in PM?

Edited by ThomasNicole

Yeah, the version I saw is the full trailer at 1:38 minutes and its very good quality for a bootleg, they might as well just release it now.

As for the trailer itself.... eh?  Can't talk about it now though obviously.

11 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

Yeah, the version I saw is the full trailer at 1:38 minutes and its very good quality for a bootleg, they might as well just release it now.

As for the trailer itself.... eh?  Can't talk about it now though obviously.

They didn’t put a KDM on the trailer which is surprising for such a high profile trailer (meaning it’s unlocked and cinemas can play it as soon as they get it).

Edited by SnokesLegs

So Disney keeps nuking twitter posts with this teaser, and then probably new ones pop up.

At this point, it is probably best to just release online, 2 weeks is such a long time to wait since most interested would have seen it already, in cam quality....

Why did some cinemacon attendees mention 5 minutes?

Can people that bad at measuring time really exist or is there another explanation?

• Like 1