Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

6 hours ago, dudalb said:

Spectacular Visuals have become normal for Hollywood blockbusters.

I thnk Cameron is going to have give us a much better film in terms of writing and a stronger story if this film is going to come anywhere near the original in terms of box office.

Nah all Hollywood blockbusters look like ass for the most part and this one is gonna not look like ass and it's gonna blow people's mind

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Ethan Hunt said:

Nah all Hollywood blockbusters look like ass for the most part and this one is gonna not look like ass and it's gonna blow people's mind

Not wrong. Was talking to somebody about this a couple of days back. The tools for cgi have gotten a lot more advanced and cheaper, so they're settling for a product that looks 85% as good as something like Davy Jones did back in 2006. Avatar being a notable exception to that

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

Not wrong. Was talking to somebody about this a couple of days back. The tools for cgi have gotten a lot more advanced and cheaper, so they're settling for a product that looks 85% as good as something like Davy Jones did back in 2006. Avatar being a notable exception to that

Filmmakers are more willing to go for large scale cgi, whole worlds and enviroments. Which wasn't really possible before Avatar, so agreed its to do with the tools they have.

The quality itself... there are some noteworthy movies but superhero movies have shown you can make bank without putting your focus on the visuals. So why would they waste their money & time on the visuals? For studio first filmaking its all about money, so it makes sense to put the focus on the parts of the films which they know makes them dollar.

The answer for James Cameron is different of course, Avatar needs the visuals plus Jim wants to be on the forefront of technology at all times.

• Like 1

Just now, Saul Goodman said:

Crickets at my theater during the trailer, but everyone got pumped for the Thor teaser. Does this really have an entire underwater world like Jimbo has been saying for years? Maybe if the trailer had that reactions would have been better.

It means Thor is going to make more money at the box office clearly. Shame, Jim Cameron in shambles. Opening Day Marvel fans cheered for Thor and not Avatar.

can we just delete the thread actually, avatar not even worth following anymore. Thor got louder cheers

• Haha 2

17 hours ago, Deuce66 said:

They also had to shoot parts of A4 (the kids) as there is going to be a 6 year time leap forward. 

I believe those were shot during motion capture phase from late 2017 to 2018, not during the 1-year live action stage that I mentioned. 

12 hours ago, AniNate said:

I'm trying to keep the moral high ground here but they really should've anticipated this would happen

They can't be surprised by this at all, if anything it must be a major pain the ass to try and keep this contained, additional work for nothing. No doubt there had to be a few people in those marketing meetings who raised this very issue. Anyhow the Disney legal dept. is one day closer to freedom from this nonsense, here's hoping they release it by Tuesday. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, AniNate said:

The detractor cohort has been there since before the original's release. I think the lines are pretty much drawn in the same place they were in 2009.

And they were wrong then, and they're wrong now.

1 hour ago, The Panda said:

How much of the strange 2 OW is from the Avatar boost? I’m going to see it just so I can see Lord Cameron’s trailer

I would say next to nothing, we (over) estimate how much the general audience is aware of upcoming releases. They check the listings of their local multiplex, pick a movie they want to see and go. The teaser will certainly raise awareness and will max out when released online for real. 

My sister is a huge fan of Avatar and she does not follow any of the online chatter, she has no idea when its coming (yet). 

• Like 1

I'm shocked seeing how many fans are coming out of the wood work after the trailer hit. The Avatar discord server I lurk for news has gained probably 100 people in the last few days its crazy, link for those interested https://discord.gg/wzMkKWnn7Y

I am really feeling it, we're about to enter the Avatar era.

5 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

I'm shocked seeing how many fans are coming out of the wood work after the trailer hit. The Avatar discord server I lurk for news has gained probably 100 people in the last few days its crazy, link for those interested https://discord.gg/wzMkKWnn7Y

I am really feeling it, we're about to enter the Avatar era.

Is it really crazy that the first actual content from the franchise in over a decade would get people re-interested in it? 

1 minute ago, MaverickXXR said:

Is it really crazy that the first actual content from the franchise in over a decade would get people re-interested in it? 

well, not really that crazy. It's just nice to see it finally happening

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Warmaster506 said:

Trailer is absolutely beautiful on the big screen.  Cameron will deliver as always.

Bring it. 

I watched it in 3D and it was immense, did you managed to catch it in 3D?