Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

2 hours ago, Alexdube said:

Cameron talks about the re-release:

No hints of new trailer or scenes from A2, but he mentions they added a small thing at the end to tie it to the sequel

There are rumours thought that's theres going to be a scene from Avatar 2 post credits.

They’ve reclassified Avatar on the BBFC website with the remastered version clocking in at 165 minutes 55 seconds which is 3 minutes 55 seconds longer than the 2009 theatrical version (which ran 162 minutes). So pretty safe to say there’s some kind of additional scene or extended trailer attached.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Ozymandias said:

Does James Cameron include fish when he says meat or is he mostly talking red meat?  I know he loves the ocean and all its inhabitants but some of those critters are mighty tasty.  You can have my sushi when you pry it from my cold dead fingers. 

The way he combined "meat and dairy" definitely makes me think he's talking about cows specifically.  

the last two questions from the NYT article

New York Times article

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/09/16/movies/james-cameron-avatar.html

Are you concerned that in the time between the original and the sequel, audiences will have lost their connection to the story or its characters?

I think I could have made a sequel two years later and have it bomb because people didn’t relate to the characters or the direction of the film. My personal experience goes like this: I made a sequel called “Aliens,” seven years after the first movie. It was very well received. I made a sequel called “Terminator 2,” seven years after the first movie. It did an order of magnitude of more, in revenue, than the first film. I was a little concerned that I had stretched the tether too far, in our fast-paced, modern world, with “Avatar 2” coming in 12 years later. Right until we dropped the teaser trailer, and we got 148 million views in 24 hours. There’s that scarce seen but wondered at principle, which is, Wow, we haven’t seen that in a long time, but I remember how cool it was back then. Does that play in our favor? I don’t know. I guess we’re going to find out.

In the era of the original “Avatar,” we learned that you possess a baseball cap bearing the letters “HMFIC” (a boastful if family-unfriendly personal description). Did that get any use on the making of “The Way of Water”?

I would either wear that hat on the first day of a new shoot, or I would wear my T-shirt that says “Time becomes meaningless in the face of creativity.” Just to shake up the studio a little bit. I don’t think I [wore] the HMFIC hat on the new “Avatar.” This is the kinder, gentler me. This is the mellow, Zen nice guy, sensitive to everybody’s needs and emotional requirements. No microaggressions here. Which is usually good for about the first two weeks.

10 hours ago, Ozymandias said:

Does James Cameron include fish when he says meat or is he mostly talking red meat?  I know he loves the ocean and all its inhabitants but some of those critters are mighty tasty.  You can have my sushi when you pry it from my cold dead fingers. 

It wouldn't surprise me if James' current way of thinking on the subject is very much in-line with this documentary narrated by Kate Winslet. I could almost guarantee that he's not a fan of "farmed" seafood as it's presented here. 

Eating Our Way to Extinction

1 hour ago, Deuce66 said:

Are you concerned that in the time between the original and the sequel, audiences will have lost their connection to the story or its characters?

I think I could have made a sequel two years later and have it bomb because people didn’t relate to the characters or the direction of the film. My personal experience goes like this: I made a sequel called “Aliens,” seven years after the first movie. It was very well received. I made a sequel called “Terminator 2,” seven years after the first movie. It did an order of magnitude of more, in revenue, than the first film. I was a little concerned that I had stretched the tether too far, in our fast-paced, modern world, with “Avatar 2” coming in 12 years later. Right until we dropped the teaser trailer, and we got 148 million views in 24 hours. There’s that scarce seen but wondered at principle, which is, Wow, we haven’t seen that in a long time, but I remember how cool it was back then. Does that play in our favor? I don’t know. I guess we’re going to find out.

Sequel Comparison & Total Domestic Box Office

1979 (Alien) $81.9M --> 1986 (Aliens) $85.2M

$.826B --> $3.065B = +271%

9.9% market share vs 2.8%

1984 (Terminator) $38.4M --> 1991 (T2) $205.9M

$3.066B --> $4.366B = +42%

1.3% market share vs 4.7%

T2's success (or more accurately, T1's lack of it) was more a reflection of Arnold's rise to action stardom: T1 grossed the same as Running Man (1987), barely more than Red Heat (1988). Meanwhile T3 (sans Cameron) 10 years later grossed $150.4M (-27%), or just 1.6% market share

2009 (Avatar) $749.8M --> 2019 (pre-pandemic)

$10.616B --> $11.363B = +7%

6.6% market share vs ????

One more, for funsies

2003 (LOTR: Return of the King) $377M --> 2012 (Hobbit) $303M

$9.233B --> $10.845B = +17%

4.1% market share vs 2.8%

Edited by M37
  • Like 2

T2's success (or more accurately, T1's lack of it) was more a reflection of Arnold's rise to action stardom: T1 grossed the same as Running Man (1987), barely more than Red Heat (1988). Meanwhile T3 (sans Cameron) 10 years later grossed $150.4M (-27%), or just 1.6% market share

T2's success was because of Arnold --> Arnold never makes anything as successful again

Titanic's success was because of Leo --> Leo never makes anything as successful again.

Avatar's success was because of... Sam Worthington? 3d?

Who is James Cameron?

• Like 2

Perhaps one of the biggest, if not the biggest reason that the first movie was and still is #1 and why the entire franchise will be huge is that you truly cannot "pirate" this film.

Endgame and No Way Home were so massive partly because of the experience of sitting next to a huge crowd and hearing the sudden cheers and rapturous applause when the Avengers were brought back to life and when Tobey and Andrew appeared on the screen. Each movie was a once in a lifetime cinematic experience (for superhero fans) for that reason.

However, those cheers were captured on camera and there were even YouTube compilations of the cheers from different countries. You could even hear them in the early bootleg recordings.

But with Avatar, you just cannot capture the... 3D lol

Or at least the groundbreaking visual effects in high quality. There is no point in watching the bootlegged version online because the quality of the visuals will be mediocre at best.

You WILL miss out if you don't see this in the biggest screen possible and in 3D, which it was literally designed for.

• Like 1

FaYgLCt.png

theres definitively something added to the re-release, original movie is 161m 35s, 2d version of the re-release gets 2 extra min while the 3d one gets 4? I think thats what can explain the different runtimes

I assume the trailer is 2 minutes long and the 3d exclusive footage is a tech showcase james cameron talk?

wonder if theyll expand it past the 2 weeks, people that might not care about the re-release might care if they hear about the trailer, which seems like its being kept as a surprise

Edited by interiorgatordecorator

1 hour ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

FaYgLCt.png

theres definitively something added to the re-release, original movie is 161m 35s, 2d version of the re-release gets 2 extra min while the 3d one gets 4? I think thats what can explain the different runtimes

I assume the trailer is 2 minutes long and the 3d exclusive footage is a tech showcase james cameron talk?

wonder if theyll expand it past the 2 weeks, people that might not care about the re-release might care if they hear about the trailer, which seems like its being kept as a surprise

it's apparently new footage Avatar (2009) footage near the end of the film

• Like 1