Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

On 12/7/2022 at 12:13 AM, stephanos13 said:

all the reactions seem good. What more did you expect? Winning best picture good?

Throwback to this post of mine when some were overreacting over the first reactions.

It turns out I was the conservative one.

The movie is about to get nominated for Best Picture and Best Director in The Oscars, Critics Choice and Golden Globes.

1 minute ago, stephanos13 said:

Throwback to this post of mine when some were overreacting over the first reactions.

The movie is about to get nominated for Best Picture and Best Director in The Oscars, Critics Choice and Golden Globes.

😱😱🤧

54 minutes ago, stephanos13 said:

I know im gonna sound like a doomer, but thats not really a surprise

nominated is the not the same thing as being win-competitive , and I guess that after 13 years I expected a bit more from cameron when it came to the screenplay

Edited by interiorgatordecorator

10 minutes ago, DAJK said:

I need some advice on how I should approach watching this. Due to Xmas/family commitments, I can either watch this on opening night, but in a small, standard 2D theatre. 

OR I can wait until the 20th and watch it in IMAX 3D. But I would have to wait 5 extra days to watch it.

What do the Avatar/Cameron fans think?

Book the best seats you can in IMAX 3D, make sure it's laser.

Make sure it's right in the center of that cinema! you are more prepared for the 20th than anyone else

Edited by IronJimbo
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Eric Dielman said:

Just see it in 2D. The movie will be just fine without all those bells and whistles

I would wait to experience it the way that gives you that dreamlike escape. But heck if your planning multiple trips watch the 2d version as brother DAJK. And how are you man. Good to see most of the old crew. I haven't  seen brother Baumer here in awhile tho.  The return of Pandora is finally here..

15 minutes ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

I know im gonna sound like a doomer, but thats not really a surprise

but nominated is the not the same thing as winning, and I guess that after 13 years I expected a bit more from cameron when it came to the screenplay

It wouldn't win best picture even if it had a 100 MC, I think. 

50 minutes ago, stephanos13 said:

When those first reactions came out I was slightly disappointed and was definitely not thinking that this was on track to repeat the original's performance in the award season, especially knowing how they are with sequels, not to mention Sci-fi sequels.

Now it's hard to imagine Avatar not getting nominated for both Best Picture and Best Director at the Oscars, and it's emerging as  potentially a top 5 contender for Picture (Banshees, Everything Everywhere, Fabelmans, Top Gun Maverick being the others).

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, AniNate said:

It wouldn't win best picture even if it had a 100 MC, I think. 

even if it didnt end up winning, I would have liked to see a screenplay worhy of being nominated and for me to think it had a shot at winning BP

Edited by interiorgatordecorator

Just now, interiorgatordecorator said:

even if it didnt end up winning, I would have liked to see a screenplay worhy of being nominated and for me to think it had a shot at winning

Has a shot at winning director with a combo kind of in the line of Life of Pi I guess (Cinematography, production design, Visual effect and directing).

1 hour ago, DAJK said:

I need some advice on how I should approach watching this. Due to Xmas/family commitments, I can either watch this on opening night, but in a small, standard 2D theatre. 

OR I can wait until the 20th and watch it in IMAX 3D. But I would have to wait 5 extra days to watch it.

I'd wait for the IMAX. This is not like one of those movies where spoilers are a big deal so you can afford to wait for a few days. 

• Like 1

A scifi movie has never won BP. Combine that with there still being some bias against motion capture, with some actors ignorantly thinking it "disrespects" their field (when actually, as Kate Winslet said, it allows for the purest form of acting), I never had any hope TWOW would win. I stopped paying attention to the Oscars after learning how much campaigning and personal politics are involved. If it was actually about voting for the best of the best, campaigning would be irrelevant, people would judge all nominees on their own merits, but it comes out again and again that many voters don't even watch all the nominated movies. 

Thankfully the Oscars have lost a lot of relevance, with ratings collapsing over the last decade.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DAJK said:

Depends how desperate you are to see it really. If you want to see it OD, you'll still (hopefully) be getting a great movie

1 minute ago, SchumacherFTW said:

Depends how desperate you are to see it really. If you want to see it OD, you'll still (hopefully) be getting a great movie

I kinda disagree you know. Personally I would watch on Sat / Sunday to give an IMAX/Dolby 3D over a standard 2d.

12 minutes ago, danziger said:

A scifi movie has never won BP. Combine that with there still being some bias against motion capture, with some actors ignorantly thinking it "disrespects" their field (when actually, as Kate Winslet said, it allows for the purest form of acting), I never had any hope TWOW would win. I stopped paying attention to the Oscars after learning how much campaigning and personal politics are involved. If it was actually about voting for the best of the best, campaigning would be irrelevant, people would judge all nominees on their own merits, but it comes out again and again that many voters don't even watch all the nominated movies. 

Thankfully the Oscars have lost a lot of relevance, with ratings collapsing over the last decade.

The Oscars have lost a lot of cultural relevancy by in the last 15 years, but lol the only mo-cap performance to date that actually deserved any kind of awards consideration was Andy Serkis for Gollum in TTT & ROTK.  It didn't happen because at the time motion capture was very new in the industry and there was a big debate on whether the actor or the animators get more of the credit.  Thanos and Avatar have great animation, but nothing particularly stands out about any of those mo-cap performances(except Thanos in the context of the MCU since its their only memorable villain).

18 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

Y'all give too much importance to this stuff. There's plenty of people (case in point: me, since italy has like 7 fucking imax theaters nationwide) who don't even have access to premium screens and still enjoy the films just fine. Premium is better but like, it will be fine lol.

I'm planning to see it bare bones 2D on first viewing, ultimately its narrative will be its lasting legacy unless big screen 3D HFR home TVs eventually become affordable to the average consumer

This way I can see it multiple times with different enhancements and get different "first time" experiences

Edited by AniNate