Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

36 minutes ago, NCsoft said:

Dune Part 2 might have an advantage in best picture mostly due the prestige status of the source material, kind of like LOTR in a way, rather than something like Avatar. Though while Dune won all the technical awards, it never got even a best director nomination (still bizarre to think about), which suggest that Dune Part 1 was further away from best picture than Avatar was in 2010 (arguable top 2). Really am curious to see how Dune Part 2 does.

The closest a Sci-fi ever got to best picture win was most definitely Gravity, but then many don't consider that Sci-fi.

Dune is also arguably more fantasy than sci-fi. And the feudalism & obsession with royal bloodlines gives it a traditional feel Oscar voters would be more comfortable with. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

I kinda disagree you know. Personally I would watch on Sat / Sunday to give an IMAX/Dolby 3D over a standard 2d.

Moment of prayer all for folks in Cali. Sb145 got passed after years of being blockef. WTF. Heavenly Father have mercy on any state that lets evil people push this through!!🤕🤕😪( gods wrath is nothing to play with) and protect the children.  We have some devils at work here folks. But most high will get em all soon.

Oh and alot of folks feeling 170-210m OW for Avatar Way of the Water. Nice, so at least this is some good news after seeing the news of that new abomination law in Cali. Pray for the children everyone.

Edited by Sheldon Cr
Just updating
  • Like 1

@Elessar @Eric Dielman @IronJimbo @ZeeSoh @SchumacherFTW

Alright I think I have it decided (partly decided by my friends lol) but I'm seeing it at the smaller theatre in regular 2D on the 16th with them, since everyone is going on that day, and then again in IMAX 3D on the 20th when I head back home for Christmas. Best of both worlds. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, DAJK said:

Alright I think I have it decided (partly decided by my friends lol) but I'm seeing it at the smaller theatre in regular 2D on the 16th with them, since everyone is going on that day, and then again in IMAX 3D on the 20th when I head back home for Christmas. Best of both worlds. 

that works too, I already have 3 tickets booked myself

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1

3 minutes ago, DAJK said:

This is also what I would have done in a similar situation; I can't wait that long to see it, but I can't imagine not seeing a movie that I've waited years on in the best format I can find.

Edited by NCsoft
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, NCsoft said:

Dune Part 2 might have an advantage in best picture mostly due the prestige status of the source material, kind of like LOTR in a way, rather than something like Avatar. Though while Dune won all the technical awards, it never got even a best director nomination (still bizarre to think about), which suggest that Dune Part 1 was further away from best picture than Avatar was in 2010 (arguable top 2). Really am curious to see how Dune Part 2 does.

The closest a Sci-fi ever got to best picture win was most definitely Gravity, but then many don't consider that Sci-fi.

Actually, DUNC's Editing win (above the line) suggests it was #2 behind CODA. It won 6 altogether. TPOTD won only 1 (Director). So that gives Dune a leg up. And Villeneuve snub was really abysmal. 

I agree that prestige source could help and it certainly helped LOTR.

15 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Hope you enjoy it dude. And have something fun to pop on tiktok 😜

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

Can’t be bothered to read the last 50 pages so I’m sure it’s already been answered, but when are reviews coming out?

Tomorrow, I believe

EDIT: yep, 12:00 PM east US, 5:00 PM UK time

Edited by AniNate
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MovieMan89 said:

I am beyond trying to predict OS these days (except it feels like it has WW record in the bag), but you can put me down for $1b+ DOM. Especially if it comes anywhere near 200 OW. Good lord, this may blow every DOM gross to smithereens if that happens… there’s no way a Cameron vehicle meant to thrive on WOM doesn’t have a crazy multi no matter what.

I think TGM’s multi is a doable expectation based on early reactions honestly, so yeah 200 OW would just be nuts. Cameron delivering surely means the most exciting box office since… Cameron delivering. 

Let’s see where it lands on RT, but I also am not ruling out a BP win either if has such huge box office and critical success. This year is weak on the indie front and the Academy desperately need positive buzz. It would almost be handed to them on a silver plate, and not sure they can afford to say they’re not hungry this year. If the movie ends on any kind of “cliffhanger” note, that would be the one thing I could see ruining a real chance for a BP win. I don’t think they will ever award something like that no matter what. 

Gloriously  agree with you brother Movieman89. Is this movieman of long ago Bom Days😎👍?

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, dudalb said:

I am now convinced that Cameron fans have turned into a wierd religious cult.

they're great arent they?

• Astonished 1

@IronJimbo made small comparison for you, official Blu-ray vs leaked DCPrip. It may seem that DCP is too sharp like some artificial sharpening was applied, but after close inspection frame by frame they are no sign of any sharpening artifacts you get on AI upscaled footage, picture is just sharper without any strange shenanigans. Especially look at pic 2&3 on how much details were stripped from official blu-ray.

https://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/30226/picture:0