Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

1 minute ago, Danhjpn said:

30 mins left still the 1st batch of  audience reaction and score in South Korea

some french are already out

Complaining about the run time is just lazy. Cameron won't care and I'm with him. Not after a couple of years of covid. People are binge-watching trash for 8 straight hours. It wasn't a problem for GONE WITH THE WIND, BEN-HUR, APOCALYSE NOW, LOTR, TITANIC or DANCES WITH WOLVES.

I don't care about the praise of the visuals either, that alone won't cut it.  The story and character development what matters and will decide its WoM and repeat business.

It's going to open big no matter what. Whether its having an elite run will depend on what it does from January onwards. At this point, it's 50/50 based on the mixed reviews.

Edited by The Dark Alfred

Just now, The Dark Alfred said:

Complaining about the run time is just lazy. Cameron won't care and I'm with him. Not after a couple of years of covid when people are binge-watching trash for 8 straight hours. It wasn't a problem for GONE WITH THE WIND, BEN-HUR, APOCALYSE NOW, LOTR, TITANIC or DANCES WITH WOLVES.

I don't care about the praise of the visuals either, that alone won't cut it.  The story and character development what matters and will decide its WoM and repeat business.

It's going to open big no matter what. Whether its having an elite run will be decided what it does from January onwards. At this point, it's 50/50 based on the mixed reviews.

I honestly dont get the run time moaning. Its all over the place. You would think this is the first 3 hour movie. I honestly cant remember that much moaning about other 3 hour movies.

I aslo hope like other have said that Cameron doesnt take all this to heart and we start getting 130min AVATAR sequels or something, although like you suggested Alfred, Cameron will do what he wants i'm sure.

Also 83% (currently) isnt 'mixed reviews', and its still ahead of the first movie currently.

• Like 1

Cameron won't back down re: run time, nor should he. He earned the status to call his shots. One thing he should do is hire someone (or someone better) to polish his dialogues, because that's a common fault in all of his films.

I'd say reviews are pretty mixed so far. 83 now means it's gonna end up in mid 70s. That's not bad of course, but not great either.

3 minutes ago, The Dark Alfred said:

Cameron won't back down re: run time, nor should he. He earned the status to call his shots. One thing he should do is hire someone (or someone better) to polish his dialogues, because that's a common fault in all of his films.

I'd say reviews are pretty mixed so far. 83 now means it's gonna end up in mid 70s. That's not bad of course, but not great either.

Well i dont know if RT have their own sperate ratings but to me mid 70's would be 'good' reviews.

Mixed for me would be in the 50-60% range.

Anyway to be honest i'm not that bothered about the final RT score, only because i have read quite a lot of the reviews and so many off them say its a better film than the first. In fact even a few of the negative reviews say it too lol.

And then you have people like that Grace woman critic, who hated the orig movie, and loves this one.

For whatever reason critics seem to be using a sharper scale with this compared to the orig film. But alas its the general masses that will have the final say anyway.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, stuart360 said:

Well i dont know if RT have their own sperate ratings but to me mid 70's would be 'good' reviews.

Mixed for me would be in the 50-60% range.

Anyway to be honest i'm not that bothered about the final RT score, only because i have read quite a lot of the reviews and so many off them say its a better film than the first. In fact even a few of the negative reviews say it too lol.

And then you have people like that Grace woman critic, who hated the orig movie, and loves this one.

For whatever reason critics seem to be using a sharper scale with this compared to the orig film. But alas its the general masses that will have the final say anyway.

nah, no dooming needed to say that 70% on rt can qualify as mixed

50-60 rt is enough for a movie to be trash

just minutes left till the not-north koreans come out of the cinema

save us obiWOM-kenobi!

Edited by interiorgatordecorator

2 minutes ago, Flamengo81 said:

So... when are we supposed to see the first reactions by the GA in South Korea? I am fighting against sleep just to see it.

Peeps said first shows were at 8am. With ads and this runtime I'd say 20 mins or so, but 🤷‍♂️

If you're real tired I'd say just go to bed honestly, the reactions will be there tomorrow as well.

Another reviewer who was critical of Avatar's story but absolutely loved the story and character work in TWOW: "This is one of the best films he's ever directed, with a much stronger story and connection between these characters than I've probably ever seen in any of his movies."

Question: Is the visual aspect alone can drive people (from kids to grandfather) to the cinema to watch this movie to achieve the best cinematic experience in life?

I'm pretty sure back then, 2009, that is the only reason making the monster legs for Avatar 1. Avatar 1's story and characters are mid/average at best and have been criticized very much. Even for Avatar 2, most of the critics agree that it has better story/plot/character than Avatar 1, and of course all of them (both negative and positive) praised the visual aspect to the high sky. 

6 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

Peeps said first shows were at 8am. With ads and this runtime I'd say 20 mins or so, but 🤷‍♂️

If you're real tired I'd say just go to bed honestly, the reactions will be there tomorrow as well.

I think I will do that. Hope to see great reception when I open this thread tomorrow 🤞

2 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Never thought I'd have to post this in an Avatar thread, but...

Outside of a little bit of ineffective concern trolling, I don't really see anyone freaking out here. Thread regulars are calm and confident.