Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

1 billion for all three? That's a lot more conservative than I though, but I wonder if Avatar 2 will even come out in 2016.Every year it waits is a year people will care less that it's coming out.

Avatar is the highest grossing movie of all time by a huge margin  :)  sure you already know that..

the overseas market is blooming so freaking fast in the last couple of years we're gonna see huge numbers..even if it decreased slightly domestically it won't really matter much

Edited by Johnny Wiseau
  • Like 3

Avatar is the highest grossing movie of all time by a huge margin :) sure you already know that..the overseas market is blooming so freaking fast in the last couple of years we're gonna see huge numbers..even if it decreased slightly domestically it won't really matter much

The problem is that Avatar was a phenomenon, it had a lot of reasons for its success. No sequel has ever been the highest grossing movie of all time WW and we should take that into consideration.Avatar 2 is going to behave very different than a normal sequel and those kind of legs are pretty much out of the question.
  • Like 1

The problem is that Avatar was a phenomenon, it had a lot of reasons for its success. No sequel has ever been the highest grossing movie of all time WW and we should take that into consideration.Avatar 2 is going to behave very different than a normal sequel and those kind of legs are pretty much out of the question.

true..yet 1.5 B for each sequel are a lock  :)  so believe me Fox and Cameron will get by  :lol:

1 billion for all three? That's a lot more conservative than I though, but I wonder if Avatar 2 will even come out in 2016.Every year it waits is a year people will care less that it's coming out.

How is $1B for 3 films conservative? That's about $333M per film.

Edited by CloneWars

How is $1B for 3 films conservative? That's about $333M per film.

which will surpass the 300 mil spent on POTC:AWE and each one will be the most expensive movie ever made  :)

not conservative..but it doesn't matter because we're talking about freaking Avatar here.

Edited by Johnny Wiseau
  • Like 1

Pirates ... on Stranger Tides is the most expensive production costs (= doesn't include marketing) of $410.6m according to Forbes

Place 2 is the 2nd Pirates movie with $341.8

then adjusted to inflation... $44m budget of Cleopatra (1963) => now $339.5m

Pirates ... on Stranger Tides is the most expensive production costs (= doesn't include marketing) of $410.6m according to Forbes

Place 2 is the 2nd Pirates movie with $341.8

then adjusted to inflation... $44m budget of Cleopatra (1963) => now $339.5m

I find that hard to believe

I find that hard to believe

Read the article for yourself and decide...

One of the reasons I look especially in-depth into Marvel/Disney movies is them filming in the UK and filing there for the tax breaks

=> public records in UK, all details to get after a few years.

Very interesting IMHO....

• Like 1

Read the article for yourself and decide...

One of the reasons I look especially in-depth into Marvel/Disney movies is them filming in the UK and filing there for the tax breaks

=> public records in UK, all details to get after a few years.

Very interesting IMHO....

Its amazing how the cheapest looking Pirates movie turned out to be the most expensive.

I went on set for Pirates 4, they used our glue to build a set lol. I literally live an hour away from Pinewood Studios.

Edited by jessie
  • Like 1

Its amazing how the cheapest looking Pirates movie turned out to be the most expensive.

I went on set for Pirates 4, they used our glue to build a set lol. I literally live an hour away from Pinewood Studios.

I watched part 1 & 2 in the cinema, part 3 on DVD as I already saw a decline in part 2 and wasn't happy with part 3, so I skipped part 4.

But I can imagine to watch it, if anything I am working on/with or something I do now well for a reason.... appears or gets used in a movie. The only reason I watched the last 3 Musketeers movie... (not happy with that one either)

Love for people to have the opportunity to visit a set like that, also very interesting IMHO

(worked for a long time in a performing arts supporting profession - like equipment... one of the many reasons I started to get interested in more than 'only' the movies themselves)

Ahh, than you might already know about the tax details ;) 

I love that Pinewood gets now more studios instead of going bankrupt like it looked like a few years back. Maybe even more work and opportunities for you?

• Like 1

Now we know why those Pirates films were that expensive. :whip:

Edited by vc2002
  • Like 3

You work for a glue company? :wacko:

I've heard a figure lower than Forbes for POTC4, but all the Pirates sequels were ridiculously, obscenely expensive, and among the most expensive movies ever (as far as I know).

• Like 1

You work for a glue company? :wacko:

I've heard a figure lower than Forbes for POTC4, but all the Pirates sequels were ridiculously, obscenely expensive, and among the most expensive movies ever (as far as I know).

I think the difference is bcs of this:

Although On Stranger Tides was released in 2011 its financial statements are still being released as they relate to prior periods. The final set was filed earlier this year and shows that between October 2009 and April 2013 the production costs came to a total of $410.6 million (£240.7 million). It makes the movie the most expensive of all time even when compared to historical productions adjusted for inflation.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/csylt/2014/07/22/fourth-pirates-of-the-caribbean-is-most-expensive-movie-ever-with-costs-of-410-million/

• Like 1

I want to believe that that figure includes Johnny Depp's backend or point participation or whatever it's called. Right? Tell me that it's because he made almost 150 million dollars from that deal or something, and that the 150 million are included in the 410 million figure. Honestly, what did they spend 400 million on???

• Like 2

I want to believe that that figure includes Johnny Depp's backend or point participation or whatever it's called. Right? Tell me that it's because he made almost 150 million dollars from that deal or something, and that the 150 million are included in the 410 million figure. Honestly, what did they spend 400 million on???

Next to Pirates 2 &3, pirates 4 looked cheap´as fuck so I dont get it either ...
  • Like 1