Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

8 hours ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

Cameron is gonna give these actors a hard time underwater like he did on The Abyss. We will see reports of how Cameron abuses his actors on set and actors coming out claiming Cameron treated them like animals and that they will never work with him again.

And there will be scene which Jake slaps the hell of the drowing Neytiri yelling "Goddammit, you bitch! You never backed away from anything in your life! Now fight!"

And that'll complete the circle.

13 hours ago, tribefan695 said:

My first thought seeing his name in my Google app feed was "please don't be the next sexual abuse accusation"

What he's doing sounds really cool but I'm still uneasy about it involving all those child actors. Just so many things could go wrong.

Cameron doesn't abuse sexually.

Cameron just abuses.

16 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

You joke, but I sure as hell hope he keeps it toned down knowing who he's working with

That combined with what CGI make possible to do without endangering / asking actor to perform, it is possible (not that followed is career that much) that Cameron crazy was some uncompromising will to put stuff in the can, unregard for people vs is ambition and is movies and not necessarily for the fun of doing it like that. In is commentary track of some of is movies he is saying on some scene that he would never do them like that today, with what he know now and with technology advancement.

We didn't heard much stories about Cameron with Avatar shoot I think ? I do not suspect it will be the case and depending of ages, if kids own parents are not present they have an designed tutor/handler always present on set to make sure it is going well.

10 hours ago, Barnack said:

We didn't heard much stories about Cameron with Avatar shoot I think ? I do not suspect it will be the case and depending of ages, if kids own parents are not present they have an designed tutor/handler always present on set to make sure it is going well.

They'd better watch out for their smartphones and cut them off during the shoot if they don't want them to be pinned on a wall by a drill.

Edited by dashrendar44

from the Vanity Fair interview

Kate Winslet has a role in one of the Avatar sequels, which you’ve said partly take place underwater. Can you tell me about it?

She does, and she’s very excited about it. She blazed through for a couple of days of rehearsals and saw the world that we had created, and how we do the work, and she’s very excited. She plays a character who’s part of the Sea People, the reef people. The one thing she did do is demand that she do all her own water work. I said, “All right, that’s fine, we’ll have to teach you how to free dive.” The other actors are up to three- and four-minute breath holds. We’ve already been doing underwater capture. We did a scene last week with six teenagers, well, actually five teenagers and one 7-year-old underwater holding their breath for a couple minutes and acting, actually doing a dialogue scene under water because they speak kind of a sign language.

With all of the work going into the Avatar sequels there have been some delays in getting started.

I wouldn’t call them delays. It was highly optimistic that we could start quickly until scripts are written. If there’s no scripts, there’s nothing, right? The scripts took four years. You can call that a delay, but it’s not really a delay because from the time we pushed the button to really go make the movies [until now,] we’re clicking along perfectly. We’re doing very well because of all the time that we had to develop the system and the pipeline and all that. We weren’t wasting time, we were putting it into tech development and design. So when all the scripts were approved, everything was designed. Every character, every creature, every setting. In a funny way it was to the benefit of the film because the design team had more time to work. . . . Most of the actors, the key principals, have all read all four scripts, so they know exactly what their character arcs are, they know where they’re going, they know how to modulate their arc now across the first two films. We all know where we’re supposed to be dramatically in the saga, and that’s great. Let’s face it, if Avatar 2 and 3 don’t make enough money, there’s not going to be a 4 and 5. They’re fully encapsulated stories in and of themselves. It builds across the five films to a greater kind of meta narrative, but they’re fully formed films in their own right, unlike, say, The Lord of the Ringstrilogy, where you really just had to sort of go, “Oh, shit, all right, well I guess I better come back next year.” Even though that all worked and everybody did.

Will the Avatar sequels deal with some of the similar themes you addressed in the first film, in particular, the environment?

It will be a natural extension of all the themes, and the characters, and the spiritual undercurrents. Basically, if you loved the first movie, you’re gonna love these movies, and if you hated it, you’re probably gonna hate these. If you loved it at the time, and you said later you hated it, you’re probably gonna love these.

• Like 4

This interview was incredible, loads of good shit.

Yeah, I want to see it in its entirety. I want to bring family and friends to see it in HDR. . . . Seeing a film that everybody knows, but seeing it in HDR in 3-D with proper light levels on a Dolby Vision laser projector—it’s really a glimpse of the future. . . . We had the whole film remastered in HDR, and it’s stunning. It’s beyond 70 millimeter, it’s beyond any format that you’ve seen before. What we’re trying to do is get Paramount and Fox to support the rollout of the Dolby Vision cinema project. It occurred to me, hey, we’ve got a movie that’s an evergreen that people love, why don’t we slam it into theaters and let people see it, not in a way it should be seen, but a way far beyond what any movie looks like right now, other than some new films are being authored in HDR? Obviously the [new] Avatar films will be [in Dolby Vision] as well, and in fact, we’re also going to do a conversion of Avatar to HDR. We’ll re-release that at some point down the line; I want to try to help this rollout of the Dolby cinemas, because I think it’s fantastic what they’re doing.

My prophecy of Avatar as the first film to $3b is one step closer. @Squadron Leader Tele

It will be a natural extension of all the themes, and the characters, and the spiritual undercurrents. Basically, if you loved the first movie, you’re gonna love these movies, and if you hated it, you’re probably gonna hate these. If you loved it at the time, and you said later you hated it, you’re probably gonna love these.

Jim throwing shade at internet forums generating a backlash against the highest grossing film of all time.

"Wow that films was great!" goes on the internet when home "Avatar is LITERALLY just Pocahontas in space"

Edited by IronJimbo
  • Like 4