Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

59 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Having watched Avatar just 2 days ago, its CGI (without the 3D effect) isnt that special anymore. Infinity War for example had much better CGI. Though thats really not surprising, considering the film came out 9 years ago.

You are funny...

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Box Office Theory Fan said:

I can n t think of any other film from 2009 that people still talk about as much as Avatar!

People still talk about how bad Transformers 2 is though :lol:

10 minutes ago, Elessar said:

You are funny...

Hey, its just my opinion. Avatar ages like any other film. Its effects are still very good. But theyre not as special anymore as 9 years ago.

1 hour ago, Brainbug said:

Having watched Avatar just 2 days ago, its CGI (without the 3D effect) isnt that special anymore. Infinity War for example had much better CGI. Though thats really not surprising, considering the film came out 9 years ago.

:hahaha:That moment when you realize that you are comparing 2009 movie with 2018 and still 2018 movie didn't even come close to 2009.

Many things changed since 2009 thanks to Jim he pushed tech to new level so in future directors don't have stuff their heads.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Lothar said:

:hahaha:That moment when you realize that you are comparing 2009 movie with 2018 and still 2018 movie didn't even come close to 2009.

Many things changed since 2009 thanks to Jim he pushed tech to new level so in future directors don't have stuff their heads.

Hey, thats your opinion and thats fine. I for one just think otherwise. I wont convince you and you wont convince me ;)

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Brainbug said:

The CGI in Avatar is inconsistent if you didn't notice, it's absolutely impeccable in some places and is much better than anything in cape wars.

The technology they used with Thanos is literally Jim's design, They'll be using the technology Jim made for the sequels in Cape 59 in 2030 too. Sure Thanos looks better than Jake Sully in some scenes but as you said it was 2009. Expect 0 scenes in Avatar 2 which has worse CGI than Infinity Wars 1 or 2.

5b5a4503bda1c726008b456b-960-720.jpg

Here's a sorta bubblechart of what I mean, there's loads of scenes in Avatar which are better than anything in Infinity War and Infinity wars has much lower lows.

SGwgQQC.png

Edited by IronJimbo
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, IronJimbo said:

Also just for comparison, you're borderline trolling here @Brainbug

I really woudnt compare trailers to finished movies. The CGI effects in the IW trailers (esepcially this first one) are really bad and i mocked them when the trailer came out :lol: they look much much better in the movie.

And i would agree to say that Avatar has really good effects. But they just didnt personally impress me enough, sorry Jimbo. Id say the finished movies of Infinity War, TFA, Godzilla 14, Mad Max: Fury Road or Blade Runner 2049 looked better. 

Maybe its because i didnt saw the film with 3D in a cinema? First impressions hang on after all.

• Like 1
  • Disbelief 1

5 hours ago, Brainbug said:

I really woudnt compare trailers to finished movies. The CGI effects in the IW trailers (esepcially this first one) are really bad and i mocked them when the trailer came out :lol: they look much much better in the movie.

And i would agree to say that Avatar has really good effects. But they just didnt personally impress me enough, sorry Jimbo. Id say the finished movies of Infinity War, TFA, Godzilla 14, Mad Max: Fury Road or Blade Runner 2049 looked better. 

Maybe its because i didnt saw the film with 3D in a cinema? First impressions hang on after all.

I think you need to watch them side by side to help you see the difference. It's honestly night and day and embarrassing for Infinity War to be so far behind, I suppose when it's space fantasy rather than science fiction you don't need to focus on realism though (even on mechanic structures).

Everyone agrees Aquaman s world building and visuals and spectacle are incredible.

Given the similarities, Aquaman could become a bigger problem for JC than we thought.

Because we never saw a movie like Aquaman, the movie has a novlety factor, a huge underwater world presented in a giant and epic way.

But the problem is when Avatar 2 is released, we will have already been given that proposition : a huge epic spectacle under water.

Maybe a feeling of "been there, done that" could hurt people s interest in the movie.

Wonder how far James will up the ante with his film.

He usually goes for broke.

1 minute ago, Yandereprime101189 said:

Yeah, Aquaman kinda beat Avatar 2 to the punch with the underwater space opera concept. I mean never underestimate James Cameron, but still.

It will be some Na'vi free diving about 30m's underwater into a beautiful coral reef. Not really sure the "space opera" part is relevant.

1 minute ago, fabiopazzo2 said:

+800 Pages for nothing!! Wow 

8000 once we have a trailer!

Edited by IronJimbo

9 minutes ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

The only thing Jim has to worry about is himself travelling back in time, since we all know he's his only competition. 

This maybe the most lunatic Cameron-fanboyism post ive ever seen on this board and this is saying something.

• Haha 1
  • Knock It Off 1

5 hours ago, The Futurist said:

Maybe a feeling of "been there, done that" could hurt people s interest in the movie.

Always possible but a relatively small part of the 7 billion+ humans will ever see Aquaman, 

5 hours ago, The Futurist said:

Wonder how far James will up the ante with his film.

He usually goes for broke.

That the thing, Avatar was the 16th 3D release of 2009 during what was what the third or 4th time Hollywood was trying to push 3D, that much competition didn't create much of a been there done that among a giant proportion of Avatar audience, people that almost never watch any movie in theater.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Brainbug said:

This maybe the most lunatic Cameron-fanboyism post ive ever seen on this board and this is saying something.

Stating facts is lunacy? You should take advantage of the brilliant healthcare system you have in Germany and get yourself a medical. It's possible you have some form of reality disassociation disorder. 

• Like 1